Microsoft Buys Skype

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
son of a..... My main concerns are it becoming a pay as you go service as opposed to free for the basic Skype, and also the programmers at Microsoft getting their grubby hands on it. If the people who have been making it so far were to be made a branch team or something and left to their own devices it would probably be alright. But I kind of doubt that's going to happen.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Are you fucking kidding me?!
After dancing around the subject for years, I finally get a Skype account up and running...LAST FUCKING NIGHT, I wake up and now it's owned by fucking Microsoft?!

I can't wait for all the spam and adware for MSN, Bing, and GFWL Xbox 360 to makes its way onto my computer. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

/rant

*Sigh*
In all seriousness, it just means I'll have to locate an alternative VOIP protocol that I don't have to rent a server for.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
w00tage said:
Even their newest OS has me shaking my head as I try to use it for common tasks like file management.
If we're talking about Windows, I'd have to question user competence. It's far superior in every way to any of its predecessors (provided you kill UAC and disable zone-based file security).

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ummm well ok? don't change too much about it tho haha...you know the kind of change where things get worse lol

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
Teiraa said:
oh jeez i can already see the buttload of people being reported for showing themselves
I see what you did there.

It would suck if we had to pay for our Skype now, but somehow I do not think they will do that. What I think is going to happen is that they will make a much better Skype for a price, or use the original for free.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
You gotta be fucking kidding me...

They better not mess with my Skype, or I am going to be very -very- sad indeed. :(

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
FUUUUUUUU! For some reason i think i`ll have to find another alternative to skype. I`ll hang on to it until they start cutting out features and charge money for stuff that used to be free.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Vie said:
Why do I have a sudden urge to reinstall Google Talk?
Because you and I have the distinct feeling they gonna ask for a subscription and a monthly fee?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
As soon I get home I'm uninstalling it. Dammm it most of my family uses it, now how are going to keep it touch?

WHY DO THE GOOD THINGS IN LIFE GET BAUGHT UP AND/OR RUINED?

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
I'm talking about Windows, and I'm questioning MS' competence in customer-facing issues such as user interface design.
Sentox6 said:
w00tage said:
Even their newest OS has me shaking my head as I try to use it for common tasks like file management.
If we're talking about Windows, I'd have to question user competence. It's far superior in every way to any of its predecessors (provided you kill UAC and disable zone-based file security).
I'm talking about Windows 7, and I'm specifically decrying MS' competence in customer-facing issues such as user interface design. Regarding comparisons, it's not the OS's predecessors it needs to be held up against, it's their competition in usability, like Apple, every application maker (that doesn't work for MS), and every website on the Internet - including this one.

And for the record, I'm working in web UI design right now, tearing out a ton of redundant and confusing navigation from a platform and implementing technologies to make a sweet, clean, 2 click average, 3 click maximum user experience. Which is partially why Windows' UI bugs me now lol, I'm required to do way better than they are or people might not use my product.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Akalistos said:
Vie said:
Because you and I have the distinct feeling they gonna ask for a subscription and a monthly fee?
There already is for video conferencing, but I'd expect Microsoft to expand that to cover either all video features - very unlikely, or audio conferencing.

The reason I've reinstalled Google Talk is that I don't trust Microsoft not to turn skype into an ad-bloated monster. Half expecting video calls to have advert intermissions every five minutes or something similar.

Oh not right away, it will be at least 2 years before we get to that point, in the short term it will be re-branded as "Skype - from/by Microsoft" then a little later as "Microsoft Skype". With the first re-brand a Bing search bar will be added and the ads will start coming in as sidebars, second will introduce more ads and probably a "Free" and "Premium" membership.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Vie said:
Akalistos said:
Vie said:
There already is for video conferencing, but I'd expect Microsoft to expand that to cover either all video features - very unlikely, or audio conferencing.
Which is why I use that program. I need those feature but i'm not willing to pay a cent for something I had for free before.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Akalistos said:
Which is why I use that program. I need those feature but i'm not willing to pay a cent for something I had for free before.
Amen, thank god for alternatives.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
w00tage said:
Regarding comparisons, it's not the OS's predecessors it needs to be held up against, it's their competition in usability, like Apple, every application maker (that doesn't work for MS), and every website on the Internet - including this one.
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. If we're going to compare to OS X, I find Windows 7 so much more, well, usable. Admittedly, that's largely because using OS X is like being locked in a padded cell.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Sentox6 said:
Admittedly, that's largely because using OS X is like being locked in a padded cell.
That patronises you at every opportunity, don't forget that.

Cumbersome outdated clunky exemplar of how to do style over substance.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
w00tage said:
I'm talking about Windows, and I'm questioning MS' competence in customer-facing issues such as user interface design.
Sentox6 said:
w00tage said:
I'm talking about Windows 7, and I'm specifically decrying MS' competence in customer-facing issues such as user interface design. Regarding comparisons, it's not the OS's predecessors it needs to be held up against, it's their competition in usability, like Apple, every application maker (that doesn't work for MS), and every website on the Internet - including this one.

And for the record, I'm working in web UI design right now, tearing out a ton of redundant and confusing navigation from a platform and implementing technologies to make a sweet, clean, 2 click average, 3 click maximum user experience. Which is partially why Windows' UI bugs me now lol, I'm required to do way better than they are or people might not use my product.
Ugh, amen. Just upgraded and I have to say that it has been a royal pain compared to Vista to make the interface friendly, in a "will hang out with you but one day will act like it totally doesn't know you when the cool crowd walks by" sort of way.

I've never used Skype, but after my experiences with Live and all that, I really have no inclination to look into the service now.

Raiyan 1.0 said:
Well, if one thing is for sure, it's that XBox users won't get Skype for free (apparently non-Gold members can't even send each other messages). Though I'll be very glad if XBL users end up paying up for the free service on my PC. >.> If it remains free. Otherwise, there's always Google Talk.
Yup. And now I remember more clearly what dictates my negative, inkling feeling. Messages. Seriously. Freaking text messages... ugh, it doesn't look too good for poor Skypey.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Well, there go the vast majority of the free services. I wonder if we'll still get to text chat for free -_-