Microsoft Buys Skype

Lunafox

Feb 15, 2011
Hmmn... now I'm wondering what their agenda is, what is it that Microsoft is building that it needs all these who-ha's to do so

My vote; Skynet

KiraTaureLor

Mar 27, 2011
My family uses skype to keep in touch with internationally located family members.
But I don't use it, and probably never will.

I don't like the idea of Microsoft slowly gaining a monopoly though, and I think it's cute that Facebook is playing with the big boys.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I wonder if this means China stop trying to ban Skype. That'd be handy as I kinda need it to talk to the folks currently.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
this could potentially be good or bad. i speak to my friends daily on skype and xbox live, it would be nice to be able to speak to my friends from my computer.

of course, they may start charging for the service and will probably charge for it on top of live gold. they may also have it so that you cant be playing a game at the same time.

all i know is that if it remains a free service (skype to skype, despite the console) and fully integrate it so people can chat on skype while playing games, i will be very happy.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Could they not have built their own service for 8 BILLION dollars? I mean, you buy a company because they have a great product line. What is so special about skype that couldn't be replicated with enough money?
The only thing I see is brand recognition, but if they pre-install if on Xbox and Windows, and make it GOOD, people will use it...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Well, if one thing is for sure, it's that XBox users won't get Skype for free (apparently non-Gold members can't even send each other messages). Though I'll be very glad if XBL users end up paying up for the free service on my PC. >.> If it remains free. Otherwise, there's always Google Talk.
Non Gold can send messages, but they can not play online, or join parties. Now, I do doubt non-gold members will be able to use Skype...at all, I hope Gold gets some free version minimum. If not, I have lived without Skpe on Xbox already. Wont kill me to continue.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Thank god for Dolby Axon. Its free as long as its in Beta guys, and its better audio quality/ad

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Toriver said:
gunner1905 said:
nooo, my linux skype client
why must skype fall to microsoft
Tell me about it, I'm as scared for my linux client as you are for yours.
Thank God for WINE. Even if my USB webcam won't work with it, at least I'll still be able to talk.
I thought Skype worked poorly in Wine.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
will be interesting to see what happens
i'm a frequent user of skype
don't think there will be happening much soon though

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
One subscription fee for regular use, and I swear to god..

I will go Ventrillo out of spite.

Mabster

May 8, 2011
I love Skype, but my experience with the clients for both Windows and especially Android have been consistently terrible. Hopefully the change in management will also mean improvements in that area.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Ed130 said:
As soon I get home I'm uninstalling it. Dammm it most of my family uses it, now how are going to keep it touch?

WHY DO THE GOOD THINGS IN LIFE GET BAUGHT UP AND/OR RUINED?
... why uninstall it?

OT I like this, if it means more integration with xbox live and WP7, which would be cool!

Wayward Sean

Aug 19, 2009
I am dirt broke and my girlfriend lives 4,328 miles away. Please, Microsoft, don't start charging for Skype!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Braedan said:
Could they not have built their own service for 8 BILLION dollars? I mean, you buy a company because they have a great product line. What is so special about skype that couldn't be replicated with enough money?
By buying Skype, Microsoft:

1) They eliminated the single biggest FREE competition to any platform they could have developed on their own.
2) They don't have to invest time developing a system; Skype is already firmly established and widely used.

blaquenoise

Jan 1, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Well, if one thing is for sure, it's that XBox users won't get Skype for free (apparently non-Gold members can't even send each other messages). Though I'll be very glad if XBL users end up paying up for the free service on my PC. >.> If it remains free. Otherwise, there's always Google Talk.
You can send messages and talk on XBOX Live with a silver account. Once I found that out I quit my gold account. I never used co-op anyway. I grew up in the era where if it was co-op you have to sit next to the person or be at an arcade.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Braedan said:
By buying Skype, Microsoft:

1) They eliminated the single biggest FREE competition to any platform they could have developed on their own.
2) They don't have to invest time developing a system; Skype is already firmly established and widely used.
Sure, but they did push Netscape completely off the market back in the good old days. Sure Netscape wasn't free for businesses, but they dominated.

Of course, I'm not saying that it would be good that they pre-install in with every Windows installation, it just seems more cost efficient.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
LGC Pominator said:
Ed130 said:
As soon I get home I'm uninstalling it. Dammm it most of my family uses it, now how are going to keep it touch?

WHY DO THE GOOD THINGS IN LIFE GET BAUGHT UP AND/OR RUINED?
... why uninstall it?

OT I like this, if it means more integration with xbox live and WP7, which would be cool!
I'm guessing you've never had to work with a windows OS before. But seriously most people use Skype for the free web calling, and the chances of that remaining free are...