Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

onyx_sword

Apr 1, 2013
Starke said:
Here's the thing, and you seem to be missing this part. He works for Microsoft. The people he answers to came up in an era before the internet had the influence it does today. In fact, his comments say he did too. That he can say whatever stupid shit comes into his head there because no one cares.

Anyone who got into their position before, say, about five years ago, and this will look like a very, very, minor incident. The kind that'll be forgotten inside a week.

And, you know what? They're right. PR's turned out a formulaic mea culpa, and the story's dead. You may hate the guy, but his job isn't in any danger right now.
It's funny you say that. I just finished reading this: http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/

Microsoft issued a public apology.

Death916

Apr 21, 2008
Well, as im sure it's already been said; I won't be buying the next Xbox.

This makes me really sad though as I loved the first xbox and my first
console fps I actually wanted to beat was Halo CE. I also had a ps2, but I
fell in love with the 360 and the exclusive games it offered. I guess its Ps4 for me now.
Or Ill just stick with my sub-par gaming laptop. sigh..decisions.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
sigh...

the timing of this is perfect. my Internet has been spotty to say the least, and while playing Mass Effect 3 today the Internet (ethernet connection too) disconnected around 4 times throughout the final mission of the game. I could've just left it that way, but I was trying to see how long I could deal with "always on" essentially (double the frustration if a dc means the game resets x.x)

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
onyx_sword said:
Starke said:
Here's the thing, and you seem to be missing this part. He works for Microsoft. The people he answers to came up in an era before the internet had the influence it does today. In fact, his comments say he did too. That he can say whatever stupid shit comes into his head there because no one cares.

Anyone who got into their position before, say, about five years ago, and this will look like a very, very, minor incident. The kind that'll be forgotten inside a week.

And, you know what? They're right. PR's turned out a formulaic mea culpa, and the story's dead. You may hate the guy, but his job isn't in any danger right now.
It's funny you say that. I just finished reading this: http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/

Yeah, that was the formulaic PR apology I mentioned... I didn't notice Major Nelson reposted it, but, you know, not very surprising, given that is a major part of his job.

In the range of me being a pedantic bastard, mea culpa is just basically Latin for "mybad".

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Starke said:
Except there is one article, posted here, who has confirmed with one reliable source that this retard no longer works at microsoft, and are working at confirming it with another source.

So much for his job not being in any danger.
I'd take the 4player link with a grain of salt. It's not impossible, but it's a little suspicious they have a single source on this, and no other site, including Forbes has managed to get that.

If it's confirmed through the guy's linkedin profile, they get a couple more sources who confirm it, or someone makes an official statement, then, sure, have fun. In the meantime it sounds like a source who wants to sound like they're more in the know than they actually are, making claims to a journalist.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Christ... okay the guy is a douche, but he doesn't need to lose his job over this.

Its more than just him pushing for always online DRM you know.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Kargathia said:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.
Oh, Microsoft will deal with it alright. They are not stupid; they wouldn't consider always-online restrictions if they didn't know their system would sell millions anyway.

themind

Jan 22, 2012
I went from NES to Genesis, Genesis to PS, PS to N64, N64 to PS2 & XBOX, now I have a 360, and it looks like it'll be PS4.

If they go ahead with an online-only console, I hope they fail as a developer. Would serve them right.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
onyx_sword said:
Starke said:

That's kind of an apology. A more substantive apology would be coming out with an announcement that their next generation console will in fact not require the console to have a constant internet connection in order to function.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
As it stands, I have no interest in a PS4. And, well... let's just say that PC gaming is looking more appealing by the day.

TheSpyIsASpyWDZ

Loves To Lurk
Dec 15, 2012
Strazdas said:
SNIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Well, as someone who couldn't get any faster than dial-up 2 years ago, and whose current internet is a fraction as fast as broadband, I can say that you're hilariously wrong in your generalization of the entire country of the USA. Honestly, if the next XBOX quite literally needs an internet connection to run, then Microsoft are a bunch of brainless twats who didn't deserve my money for their console anyway. I really can't get any faster internet where I live in Beloit, WI. Not all of the United States has the population density of Seattle, and the people simply cannot get a reliable connection.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Microsoft has issued an official statement concerning employee Adam Orth's public sentiment that always-on DRM haters need to just "Deal with it." The company apologized for his comments, but refused to acknowledge rumors surrounding an upcoming Xbox with online requirements.

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday," said the Xbox platform holder. "This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.

"We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

<youtube=nR7HuJK_zPM>

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Microsoft has issued an official statement concerning employee Adam Orth's public sentiment that always-on DRM haters need to just "Deal with it." The company apologized for his comments, but refused to acknowledge rumors surrounding an upcoming Xbox with online requirements.

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday," said the Xbox platform holder. "This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.

"We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."
Notice how Microsoft separates itself from the offending statement, and then apologizes for it anyway.
So, they are in essence, apologizing for something they just said isn't their fault.

If this is standard PR, it's logically daft.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
Well, bravo for the man for letting us know that he's disinclined to learn from what Nintendo and EA have been up to lately and go on in adding features that is not asked for by any user majority, bring in new limitations thanks to those new features, and alienate your user base--with inevitable drops in sales (Nintendo and its WiiU), stock prices (EA and SimCity), and general consumer goodwill (EA in general) among other things.

A nice dose of false equivalences from voices on high in the company certainly don't paint a dashing figure, or one that I personally would want to support, apologies from corporate or no.

The simple fact is that not a single one of us is absolutely assured internet access, and I believe customers should be able to enjoy products that they have purchased, especially if it's single player content, without requiring an observant little node from afar watching while we play and crippling the use of the product without it.

TheSpyIsASpyWDZ

Loves To Lurk
Dec 15, 2012
This was just posted on NeoGaf. http://i.minus.com/iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif Hilarious.
But yeah, this is ridiculous, if the next XBOX is always on, I'm not buying.

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
I'll believe the rumors about the always online stuff once I actually hear about it from Microsoft come may 21 when their press confrence/announcment thing happens.

Vivid Kazumi

Jan 7, 2012
i love how sony is now the gaming jesus .when they had a same douchenozzle who thought people should get a second job for a ps3.