Microsoft Grabs Rise of the Tomb Raider in Xbox Exclusive - Update

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Well, just as long as Squeenix doesn't cry about this one not meeting sales expectations...

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Bolo The Great said:
All this will create is the possibility of bad ports (and there will be ports, that much is certain) and crappy release sales. Xbone exclusive isn't that great of a thing right now.
Not really, it's not as big of an issue with everything being x86 nowadays. That made sense back when everything was proprietary.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
I hope Sony/Naughty Dog decide to put Uncharted 4 directly against it. I actually prefer Tomb Raider, but I'd sooner set myself on fire than get an Xbox1. It would be fun to see Nathan Drake utterly destroy Microsoft.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Square Enix's statement reminds me of that bit in the Simpsons where Krusty explains he voted for Burns' film. "Let's just say it moved me... INTO A BIGGER HOUSE!"

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
A short sighted and stupid move by SE.
Tomb Raider just made a successful comeback as multiplatform title and now they fucked their rather positive momentum up again by kicking PS and PC users in the balls!
I think the second game could have sold way more than the first, being XO exclusive this is out of the question now of course. I hope the short income boost was worth it SE as you could have doomed this rather healthy franchise again.

As for Microsoft: Smart move I guess? Tomb Raider rebooted rather successfully and has some potential. But knowing their track record with exclusive I will withhold my final judgment?
My random guess of the day is that one year later it will be released as Definitive Edition for at least PC and PS4 (PS3 and X360 may have outlive their purpose by then)

As for the game: PC or go home? end of story.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
Huh? So, I suppose the timed-exclusive deal for games such as Dead Rising 3, Ryse and Titanfall was a really good thing for all involved.

There must have been some kind of cocktail party where EA and Capcom were talking to Squeenix and telling him how awesome that timed-exclusive deal was. "Yeah, no, never mind that the other system is selling like hotcakes while the XBone collects dust. No no, it's fine. Like MS gives you so much money that it will make you forget any idea of profit you ever had!! Also, it's what your fans want or whatever."
And then they all burst into laughing and start to heartily pat each other on the back.

Seriously, like is the AAA-Industry at the point now where they will just throw money into the bottom-less pit of AAA-game development and just hope that M$ will bail them out?

I mean, coming from the company that couldn't break even with what was (one of) the hottest game in town for a while, I'm not at all surprised that they'd take this route.....

P.S.: I suppose it's nice that Crystal Dynamics was at least informed about this decision and given the chance to prepare some sort of bullsh*t-statement á là "Yeah, this is the for best for the game and everyone or whatever."

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Bolo The Great said:
All this will create is the possibility of bad ports (and there will be ports, that much is certain) and crappy release sales. Xbone exclusive isn't that great of a thing right now.
Eh, not really. The Xbone and PS4 are basically PCs, changing the release platform is actually really simple (relatively speaking). There's really no way to do a "bad" port with them. Any technical issues the PC experience would happen on the consoles as well, barring issues with abnormal drivers and hardware.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
As long as it eventually comes to PC I couldn't really care much less.

And even if it doesn't I'll just play it on my friends Xbone without paying a single penny.

Either way, Microsoft loses.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
For me its like what happened with Bayonetta, a game that was successful as a multi platform title is now just on one console. Its an insult to fans. I find it insulting that PS3/PS4 gamers played the last game and cant follow on with Laras adventure into becoming the Lara of the original game. An this new game would have built on that.
The trick with Bayonetta 2 is that Platinum wasn't getting funding from anyone in order to create it until Nintendo finally bankrolled it. It's not an insult to fans because the game would not exist at all if Nintendo hadn't funded it, and since they are putting out all the money, it's not unreasonable for them to insist on exclusivity. I would have expected the same thing if Sony or MS chose to fund the game.

For Tomb Raider, though, Square Enix is the one publishing the game, a company not attached to any one console. This really just doesn't make any sense at all.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This had better be a timed exclusive, because otherwise I don't think I'll be playing it for a long, long, long time.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
COMaestro said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
For me its like what happened with Bayonetta, a game that was successful as a multi platform title is now just on one console. Its an insult to fans. I find it insulting that PS3/PS4 gamers played the last game and cant follow on with Laras adventure into becoming the Lara of the original game. An this new game would have built on that.
The trick with Bayonetta 2 is that Platinum wasn't getting funding from anyone in order to create it until Nintendo finally bankrolled it. It's not an insult to fans because the game would not exist at all if Nintendo hadn't funded it, and since they are putting out all the money, it's not unreasonable for them to insist on exclusivity. I would have expected the same thing if Sony or MS chose to fund the game.

For Tomb Raider, though, Square Enix is the one publishing the game, a company not attached to any one console. This really just doesn't make any sense at all.
I agree but it would suck if you played and loved Bayonetta 1 on PS3/360 and the sequel is on a different console - all the money stuff behind the scenes isnt an issue if you dont get to play the game you loved. The TR reboot did really well on all consoles, though SE said its sales sucked. Thats why making it XB1 only surprises me - no way TR can sell more stuck with one console. But TR should be multi console. Seems crappy releasing a HD version on PS$ only to make the sequel exclusive.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I was looking forward to this game, and am now feeling disappointed and frustrated about it.

SMH at their blog post where they say

"Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your support and we consider you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal.... incidentally, we're now partnering with a major corporation to the detriment of more than half of you."

This Tomb Raider team have a unique flair for Egregious PR.

Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider:DE showed stronger loyalty from Playstation gamers, selling more on PS3 and PS4. They eventually sold 6.5 million across 5 platforms; and now are apparently shunning the most installed new platform, which is their stronger one, for the least installed platform which is currently at 5 million total.

Assuming MS is assisting them financially, still not a great idea for the franchise to leave more than half of the affected player base feeling like they've just been kicked in the nuts, I don't think.

Maybe they're hoping Microsoft's backing can turn it into a Halo-like MS franchise that routinely sell 8 million+ per entry. Very risky if true.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
RA92 said:
http://www.twinfinite.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/header.jpg

http://www.gizorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ryse-son-of-rome-game.jpg

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Titanfall-guide-header.jpg

I wonder what they all have in common?
I get your point, but Titanfall was never an Xbox One exclusive, they just marketed it like one and delayed the release of the 360 version.

OT: Well I already posted in the gaming discussion thread, so I'll just laugh at "our good friends at Microsoft". Yeah, I'll completely believe that.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Guess I won't be buying Tomb Raider then, not that I would have anyway, I really couldn't stand that reboot. Nothing but shooting action, no tomb raiding or puzzle solving actually involved. Not to mention the whole "strong female lead" really just failed, for me at least. Literally shifting from crying over having to kill a deer for food to bloodthirsty screams of "I'll kill you all, you bastards!" in less than 10 minutes.

The best part was reading the statement made by the developers and seeing them try to explain that this was all because of what's best for the franchise and how it has NOTHING to do with getting a fat sack of money dropped on their lap by MS. Console exclusives annoy the hell out of me when it's already an established name, I could at least respect them if they told the truth that they just wanted the money.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
For almost two years I have avoided posting on these forums, or anywhere else for that matter, but this has finally dragged me back.

I know it's really stupid to have any kind of extreme reaction to an announcement about something as trivial as a video game when there's all this 'bad stuff' going on out there in the 'real world' right now, but I was genuinely upset by this.

It just makes no sense from a business perspective. I really do hope that Square got a fuckton of money from Microsoft for this, because it is the ONLY real money they'll be seeing for this title.

Worst thing is, when this game utterly utterly fails to meet even a fraction of their (unrealistic) projected sales figures, they'll probably shelve the franchise permanently.

I really enjoyed the new Tomb Raider. I was looking forward to this sequel. But there isn't a hope in hell that I'm getting an Xbox One for it. And all because Microsoft want a fanchise to compete with Uncharted? Really?

The only solace I take in this is that I remember a time when I never thought I'd get to play the first Mass Effect either. But here we are.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
COMaestro said:
SonOfVoorhees said:

I agree but it would suck if you played and loved Bayonetta 1 on PS3/360 and the sequel is on a different console - all the money stuff behind the scenes isnt an issue if you dont get to play the game you loved. The TR reboot did really well on all consoles, though SE said its sales sucked. Thats why making it XB1 only surprises me - no way TR can sell more stuck with one console. But TR should be multi console. Seems crappy releasing a HD version on PS$ only to make the sequel exclusive.
Amen. I'm so tired of hearing people say that fans shouldn't get upset over Bayonetta 2 because Ninty is funding it and should just be happy it's being made. But the thing is, the type of person who would want to play a game like Bayonetta is not your average Wii or WiiU owner. Making a sequel to a multi-platform game exclusive to just one is insulting to all the fans of the previous games. Bayonetta 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider are exactly the same to me, and if either developer has a brain in those hollowed out coconuts they call skulls, then they'll go multi-platform because no matter how much money Microsoft or Nintendo shovel into their pockets, it's not going to be enough to even break even on these games.