Microsoft: Halo: Reach the "Best-Selling Xbox Exclusive In History"

May 5, 2010
Autofaux said:
*facepalm*

Hope for human race spiraling the drain..
Wow, that didn't take long. Why exactly does this reflect badly on the entire human race?

Honestly, don't be such an insufferable cynic. Lighten up. Not everyone is a douchebag. Ironically, people who assume that everyone besides them is a douchbag, are douchebags. I don't know if that applies to you or not, though. Just thought I'd share.

OT: I wouldn't be surprised either way. It's Halo, right?

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Zerbye said:
Just some simple math...

$200 million in sales.
$60 per game.

$200 million/$60 = 3.3 million total sales on Day 1. Impressive, at least.
Not quite that since there was more expensive additions on the market. Still a really impressive number though.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
oh god, the aggressiveness of this thread just gets worse and worse.
i like halo. i am happy that it is currently successful.

that should get me some people to spout there conflicting opinions at me, if not:

i think halo is a fun game with good gameplay, enjoyable characters, and an interesting plot.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Mausenheimmer said:
Assassin Xaero said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Assassin Xaero said:
And it was in competition against...? Gears of War? I'm sorry but I can't really think of many other big name 360 exclusives.
Gears of War sold more than any PS3 exclusive. So... yeah.
Yeah, and SC2 beat it in about a day, so go troll somewhere else 360 fanboy.
No, it didn't. Starcraft 2 sold 1.5 million in 48 hours (cite: http://www.gamepro.com/articale/news/216011/starcraft-2s-early-sales-figures-1-million-on-day-one-1-5-million-in-48-hours/) and Gears of War 2 had sold 5 million copies as of last July.

Tell me, is it difficult being such a raging PC fanboy or do you find ignoring the numbers to be quite fun?
Who ever said Gears of War 2, he said Gears of War. Learn to read, or stop implying numbers into things. And yes, I'm a PC fanboy, that is why I also have a PSP, PS2, PS3, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox, GBA, and DSLite... Shouldn't you be back on Live getting own by a 12 year old or something?

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
Mausenheimmer said:
Assassin Xaero said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Assassin Xaero said:
And it was in competition against...? Gears of War? I'm sorry but I can't really think of many other big name 360 exclusives.
No, it didn't. Starcraft 2 sold 1.5 million in 48 hours (cite: http://www.gamepro.com/articale/news/216011/starcraft-2s-early-sales-figures-1-million-on-day-one-1-5-million-in-48-hours/) and Gears of War 2 had sold 5 million copies as of last July.

Tell me, is it difficult being such a raging PC fanboy or do you find ignoring the numbers to be quite fun?
Who ever said Gears of War 2, he said Gears of War. Learn to read, or stop implying numbers into things. And yes, I'm a PC fanboy, that is why I also have a PSP, PS2, PS3, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox, GBA, and DSLite... Shouldn't you be back on Live getting own by a 12 year old or something?
Did you mean "owned"? And by the way, Gears of War 1 sold better than Gears of War 2 has (ever so slightly) in its life time (http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=Gears+of+War&publisher=&console=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total). Both are still way ahead of Starcraft 2 lifetime sales so far (http://www.vgchartz.com/game.php?id=13820), much less SC2 "beating it in about a day".

It's impressive that, despite owning numerous consoles, you are still ignorant. So I take it that the answer to my question is "I prefer ignoring facts". By the way, while we're at it, I've also owned many consoles over the course of my life (currently own a Wii, 360, and PS3. My PC died on me.)What does that have to do with anything? You were still making up numbers about how fast Starcraft 2 was selling.

Also, the phrase "Gears of War" could have been referring to the franchise rather than the specific game. I mean, you want to talk about your asinine complaints. Especially since we're talking about the fastest selling franchise. The most relevant data would be on the sequel, since its the beneficiary of the series' momentum and the most likely non-Halo contender. It would be just ignorant to ignore Gears 2, but then again, ignorance seems to be your specialty.

Finally, I'm not "implying numbers into things", though I'm not sure how that would even work. I didn't imply, I literally mentioned and cited the sales numbers for the franchises. If you're going to make a statement as easy to prove as "X outsold Y", you should at least make sure it's a little bit accurate.

Before you go off on another rant about how I'm not reading, I understand that you could mean "Starcraft 2 sold more copies in its first day than Gears of War did". However, it's pretty clear the implication of your statement was that Starcraft 2 outsold Gears of War's lifetime sales within 24 hours (based off of the context of the statement).

In conclusion, your statement was wrong in every way it could be wrong. I accept your apology in advance.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Mausenheimmer said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Mausenheimmer said:
Assassin Xaero said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Assassin Xaero said:

Did you mean "owned"? And by the way, Gears of War 1 sold better than Gears of War 2 has (ever so slightly) in its life time (http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=Gears+of+War&publisher=&console=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total). Both are still way ahead of Starcraft 2 lifetime sales so far (http://www.vgchartz.com/game.php?id=13820), much less SC2 "beating it in about a day".

It's impressive that, despite owning numerous consoles, you are still ignorant. So I take it that the answer to my question is "I prefer ignoring facts". By the way, while we're at it, I've also owned many consoles over the course of my life (currently own a Wii, 360, and PS3. My PC died on me.)What does that have to do with anything? You were still making up numbers about how fast Starcraft 2 was selling.

Also, the phrase "Gears of War" could have been referring to the franchise rather than the specific game. I mean, you want to talk about your asinine complaints. Especially since we're talking about the fastest selling franchise. The most relevant data would be on the sequel, since its the beneficiary of the series' momentum and the most likely non-Halo contender. It would be just ignorant to ignore Gears 2, but then again, ignorance seems to be your specialty.

Finally, I'm not "implying numbers into things", though I'm not sure how that would even work. I didn't imply, I literally mentioned and cited the sales numbers for the franchises. If you're going to make a statement as easy to prove as "X outsold Y", you should at least make sure it's a little bit accurate.

Before you go off on another rant about how I'm not reading, I understand that you could mean "Starcraft 2 sold more copies in its first day than Gears of War did". However, it's pretty clear the implication of your statement was that Starcraft 2 outsold Gears of War's lifetime sales within 24 hours (based off of the context of the statement).

In conclusion, your statement was wrong in every way it could be wrong. I accept your apology in advance.
I googled and it said 2mill, which I don't care if I was wrong or not, I can admit to it. But after reading your reply, my assumption about 360 fanboys was right, they can't act civil and smug arrogant jerks don't deserve apologies. Way to reinforce the bad name of the 360 fanbase. So if you guys want to continue trolling, go do it on your fucking Live shit, I'm done with you.

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
shMerker said:
Mausenheimmer said:
shMerker said:
Mausenheimmer said:
shMerker said:
Zerbye said:
Just some simple math...

$200 million in sales.
$60 per game.

$200 million/$60 = 3.3 million total sales on Day 1. Impressive, at least.
That's not exactly the case, since there's the limited edition for $80 and the legendary edition for $150. So what you actually have is a number of sales somewhere between 3.3 million and 1.3 million.
True, but I think it's probably closer to the 3.3 million than the 1.3 million, don't you?
Yeah, the regular edition sales surely dwarf the limited/legendary sales, my point was that if it was the most copies sold of any Halo, they would have probably said that instead. As it stands less than 3.3 million puts them behind Halo 2 and 3 for opening week sales and possibly even behind ODST, which sold 2.2 million in it's first week and then went on to sell less than any other game in the series.

And all that aside, I figured it was just good to add some clarification as far as what that number actually tells us, especially since they are calling this game "best selling exclusive in history" when Halo 3 sold at least half a million more copies in it's first week. Time will tell if it hits the same level of sales over its lifetime. I'm guessing it won't.
Halo 3 also had the ridiculously overpriced Legendary Edition and more reasonably overpriced Collector's Edition. Also, the number of $200 million comes the Day One sales, not the Week One sales. So it's not really fair to compare a week of Halo 2 or 3 to a day of Reach.

If the past is any indicator, Reach will outsell 3, just as 3 outsold 2 and 2 outsold Combat Evolved. Also, VGChartz seems to believe this as well (http://www.vgchartz.com/article/82014/halo-reach-sells-over-3-million-units-in-the-first-24-hours/). This also seems to confirm that they meant "fastest selling" rather than best selling. It's semantics really. Should be interesting to see what the NPD has to say.

P.S. I know VGChartz isn't 100% accurate, but it's the best that's available.
I was going by VGChartz too, and I had missed that is was first day and not first week. Halo 3 Legendary and Collectors editions really have nothing to do with what I'm saying, since we know how many copies of Halo 3 were sold.

Yeah, that does appear to make it the fastest selling so far. We'll see how that keeps up. I think your historical argument is not accounting for how Halo 2 added online multiplayer and 3 was the first Halo on 360. Also you're just sort of skipping over ODST, which sold less than any Halo before it. While I'm aware of the whole "actually an expansion" thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it had hurt Bungie's and Halo's reputation in the long run. Basically I think there are factors here working against Reach selling as well as Halo 3 over it's lifetime.
Fair enough.

I think ultimate factor in Reach's long term success will be word of mouth. I think it worked against ODST (although it did have pretty impressive legs; 5.63 million sales is still more than any PS3 exclusive) but worked for the other games in the series. And for the purpose of the point I'm making, I am skipping over ODST since it was never a full fledged sequel or marketed as such. It even has "Halo 3" in the title. Most importantly, it didn't add a completely new multiplayer system, which has always been the keystone of the series' success. Yes, I know it added Firefight, but you couldn't play it via matchmaking. Incidentally, Firefight matchmaking is a major addition for Reach, but I digress.

You raise some good points on how it could not do as well as the other games in the franchise. I think that it will, based on the fact that there are more people playing Xbox than there were 3 years ago as well as the fact that Reach offers significant improvement in the multiplayer. It's been a pleasure talking with you.

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
I googled and it said 2mill, which I don't care if I was wrong or not, I can admit to it. But after reading your reply, my assumption about 360 fanboys was right, they can't act civil and smug arrogant jerks don't deserve apologies. Way to reinforce the bad name of the 360 fanbase. So if you guys want to continue trolling, go do it on your fucking Live shit, I'm done with you.
So you admit to being ignorant and prejudiced against 360 owners, as well as skipping over the segment where you found out that, like you, I own multiple consoles. Then you call me smug and arrogant for pointing out where you were wrong and providing links so you could better educate yourself.

Tell me, were I trolling, would it not have been easier to say "No it didn't noob!!!!"?

By the way, the Press Release you googled for Gears of War came out on December 15, 2006. Generally, you should check to see if it's sold any more copies in the subsequent four years. And, as I said before, Gears of War 2 is really the more valid comparison to Reach (or even Starcraft 2), since all of those games were sequels and didn't have to establish the franchise.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Halo 3 moved at least 8.1 million units. Estimating the cost at 60 dollars retail (possibly more given how many collector's editions were sold), that means the number to beat is around $460 Million (how fitting. Halo 3).
I have no doubt Reach will top that amount eventually, possibly before the end of this month.
Really? You think Halo: Reach will generate another 260 million or so (if it even has generated 200 yet) in the short span of one month? One single, paltry month to cancel out the sales of Halo 3, which took 3 years to build along with a few price-cuts?

I can't imagine it even getting close. The initial launch of games is always booming and then it slowly builds over time. There's no way in hell I see the game selling another 6 million copies or so in a month. Unless they introduce some radical online fee to keep playing or demand a ransom for people's Xbox Live acount I can't see them racking up this much cash.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Mausenheimmer said:
Assassin Xaero said:
So you admit to being ignorant and prejudiced against 360 owners, as well as skipping over the segment where you found out that, like you, I own multiple consoles. Then you call me smug and arrogant for pointing out where you were wrong and providing links so you could better educate yourself.

Tell me, were I trolling, would it not have been easier to say "No it didn't noob!!!!"?

By the way, the Press Release you googled for Gears of War came out on December 15, 2006. Generally, you should check to see if it's sold any more copies in the subsequent four years. And, as I said before, Gears of War 2 is really the more valid comparison to Reach (or even Starcraft 2), since all of those games were sequels and didn't have to establish the franchise.
Yes, I have a hatred for 360 fanboys because they are douche bags. I fail to see where ignorance comes into this when I have friends that own a 360 and they think a PS3 is worthless and I don't really care much. They don't go around posting shit like "oh this has more sales". I didn't read any of that middle stuff because walls of text make me not care, but this is why I called you smug and arrogant: "In conclusion, your statement was wrong in every way it could be wrong. I accept your apology in advance." I just don't care anymore... I haven't slept in a few days and meh... fine, I was wrong, whatever, just tell your 360 friends to mind their own fucking business and stop trying to start trolling console flame wars... (for reference to that last remark: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.233821-Microsoft-Halo-Reach-the-Best-Selling-Xbox-Exclusive-In-History#8262427 )

From now on, if someone ever brings up a "360 is better than PS3" thing again as a reply to what I said, I'm just going to say: "Twisted. Fucking. Metal. You lose."

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
cobrausn said:
No it didn't. Your post had no substance; it was pure trolling.
So it's OK to have an opinion...as long as it agrees with yours, right?
If it isn't, it's "pure trolling".

You love to throw the term "troll" around when it's all you've done to me so far, unless your posts weren't done solely to antagonize me.
Yes. That's trolling, and it's the sole reason you posted this response.
I gave you my opinion on Halo, and it's not all that different from yours. Simply saying 'Fuck you Micro$oft your game sucks' without giving any real reasons in a thread about Halo Reach... trolling or flamebait. Especially considering you've only played the game and not even bought it, you have very little reason to give a flying fuck what they say about it. It's not like you wasted your money.

Was I being antagonistic? Yeah, of course I was. $eeing $hit like thi$ all over forum$ from whiny gamer$ when talking about micro$oft or $ony or game$top alway$ annoy$ me enough to elicit a re$pon$e. Businesses make money, deal with it. You don't have to give them yours, and those who do are not dumber than you because they did.

I think we're both arguing against straw men here, so I'm out.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
Atmos Duality said:
Halo 3 moved at least 8.1 million units. Estimating the cost at 60 dollars retail (possibly more given how many collector's editions were sold), that means the number to beat is around $460 Million (how fitting. Halo 3).
I have no doubt Reach will top that amount eventually, possibly before the end of this month.
Really? You think Halo: Reach will generate another 260 million or so (if it even has generated 200 yet) in the short span of one month? One single, paltry month to cancel out the sales of Halo 3, which took 3 years to build along with a few price-cuts?

I can't imagine it even getting close. The initial launch of games is always booming and then it slowly builds over time. There's no way in hell I see the game selling another 6 million copies or so in a month. Unless they introduce some radical online fee to keep playing or demand a ransom for people's Xbox Live acount I can't see them racking up this much cash.
Ok. That's an exaggeration on my part. My bad.

However, I have noticed trends that wildly popular launches tend to retain proportionally stronger sales in the first month (starting after the first week, of course.)

Why? "Fad Mentality."
If the fad persists, strong sales persist. Otherwise, we usually see an exponential drop in sales over time. You can see this in all sorts of markets (For an infamous example, try looking up the sales figures for "Tickle Me Elmo". The demand was only strong around Christmas, sharply dropping after the season ended).
This is what I tentatively call "shelf life".

I'm actually curious just how strong this trend is; perhaps I should try to find Halo Reach's sales figures at the end of this month and do a little comparison.

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
I love Halo: Reach, and I do not regret buying it in the least. My only complaint is that I already have the "Monument to all your Sins" achievement, which is kinda strange. I didn't expect to ever get that one, because I have never considered myself skilled enough. What makes it a let down is the fact that Legendary only offers the difficulty of repetition. Once you die enough you eventaually memorize every possible scenario you could be face with, and then you move on from there to the next check-point.

Still incredibly challenging, and it required me to use some strange tactics (read as me cowering while invincible Spartans do the fighting), which was fun by itself. Now I think I'll try Heroic, because even though I got the achievement when I beat Legendary, Heroic is a good difficulty to challenge yourself on, and not get overly frustrated.

So yea, in short I love the game, just upset that I have all the campaign achievements already.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Wow reading the last few pages on this and it seems to have turned into WWIII. Some of it is the whole PS3 versus 360, some is PC versus Console and the rest is Haters versus Lovers. Christ, who'd have thought such a game would cause so much arguing.

Anyways... Well I'm happy for their success... They made a highly addicting game which fans enjoy and it sold well. They didn't break much new ground with it as far as I can tell and it's probably just another shooter with nothing much to add to the industry but if people enjoy it then that's what they enjoy.

I don't own the game my self, haven't payed for a game in a good while. Though my elder brother owns it and I'm sure when he's finished with it, I'll be able to snatch it off of him and give it a try. Not the biggest Halo fan out there I'll admit but I'm certainly not on the haters side of the fence.

The games aren't my cup of tea, not really all that much interested in games like Halo but I will play them. When I do play them I tend to enjoy them while I'm playing and I even enjoy the online modes. There just not games I'll get my self hyped up about or go out of my way to purchase. I prefer my more story driven games like Mass Effect and such... I like my RPG's more then anything else.

That said I love the split screen multiplayer in those games, especially with the camera feature. I hope this is in the new Reach game... The camera and the split screen. Split screen seems to be a thing of the past at the moment, very few games have it now and true shame. I'm the type of fellow who just likes to invite a bunch of friends over, get a few crates of beers, few bottles of Newky Brown and a shit load of food (including Kebabs for the occasions) then play a few games together while we get pissed rotten and attempt to use a sniper rifle. Though with this feature seeming to be dying out.. There's less games available for this.

Well all in all... I'll give Reach a go as soon as my brother finishes with it and I congratulate them on their success.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Yes, because intelligence is determined by your like/dislike of some generic FPS game, or series if you call remaking the same game 5 times a series. Grow up.
Man, you really don't like it when someone's more composed than you in an argument do you?

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Autofaux said:
*facepalm*

Hope for human race spiraling the drain..
Same here. I find it sad that so many people cant respect other peoples interests and feelings.

You know.. The elitists jerks who face-palm over others because they don't like the exact same they do.

... And grammar-nazis -_-

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
All of you assholes need to stop praising Reach, because I am determined to not buy it. I used to be a super hardcore Halo fanboy, and I don't want to return to the Halo 2 days of playing every single day for 6+ hours.

CoD4, keep me strong!