Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Andy Shandy said:
Turns out that pre-owned fee thing is false, at least if Xbox's official support Twitter is anything to go by.

[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/336933801517260800]
Oh this should be interesting to see play out.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Aris Khandr said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Let me make sure I've got this

A disc is good for 1 install on 1 500GB HDD. How many AAA games could 500GB hold? Eventually you'd need to delete older ones to install newer games; does this mean they're gonna try to charge customers to play the game that they themselves already bought brand-new at full price?

Forget resale. Can I even play the same game twice?
It also says that this is account-based. So odds are, it will work like Steam, keeping track of all of the games you purchased, whether they are installed right now or not.

My question is more to "What about multi-user homes?" We've got a generation right now where every member of a household has their own account, with their own achievements, friends, and history. I don't think you'll entice too many people to buy the activation for each family member who wants to play the game you've already paid $60 for.
Well obviously they're going to have "Family Bundles" Where they rip you off in an entirely new way that is unfathomable at this point, I sense bad things ahead but hopefully i'm wrong.

OT: I don't like this at all, I really like trying before I buy or even just borrowing games that I don't have like Disgaea 3 for my Vita currently. I occasionally get the urge to play games and I don't like having to buy a game to just sate that urge which would totally fuck me over it sounds in this scenario

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
scorptatious said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Fappy said:
The bullet's in the chamber. Will they shoot themselves in the foot?
I'd say there's bullets in all the chambers. One for one foot, one for the other, one for each leg, one for the gut, and one for the head.

I want this to fail so hard that the industry crashes and starts being run by the Indies.
And cost many many people their jobs in the process! YAY!

Seriously, why would anyone WANT the industry to crash?? Regardless of how you feel about things right now, that just seems incredibly selfish.

OT: Well, either way, I don't plan to buy this console. I'll probably just settle for the PS4 and possibly a better computer so I can get more into PC gaming.
Sure there will be a lot of people hurt, but guess what we got out of the last crash? Nintendo as we know it.

I want a crash to force the industry to re-examine its priorities.

It's like a forest fire. Sure it's tragic and destructive, but in the long run, it does so many good things for the forest that we can't honestly say it's a bad thing.

And similarly, the game industry is like an overgrown forest in DESPERATE need of a cleansing fire to get rid of all the dead shit below and all the suffocating canopy above that prevents new ideas from being born and living.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
I really don't have enough middle fingers to give these guys at this point. I'm really glad we're all of the same mind when it comes to the Xbone (hysterical name!) but I fear sales from the uninformed and uncaring general consumers could send the wrong message to these Xbone heads (see what I did there?). So I say anyone caught buying this abomination to gaming should be tied to a post, have the console wrestled from their hands and traded in for a PC to send them home with. And I never used to be a PC gamer until the last several months. This cements my transition.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
aba1 said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Fappy said:
I'd say there's bullets in all the chambers. One for one foot, one for the other, one for each leg, one for the gut, and one for the head.

I want this to fail so hard that the industry crashes and starts being run by the Indies.
Just hop on board for the Ouya they seem to be the only system who give a flying fuck at this point.
I'll hop on board the Ouya train when they fix it and promise not to release a new one every year.

Also, it needs games.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Nowhere Man said:
I really don't have enough middle fingers to give these guys at this point. I'm really glad we're all of the same mind when it comes to the Xbone (hysterical name!) but I fear sales from the uninformed and uncaring general consumers could send the wrong message to these Xbone heads (see what I did there?). So I say anyone caught buying this abomination to gaming should be tied to a post, have the console wrestled from their hands and traded in for a PC to send them home with. And I never used to be a PC gamer until the last several months. This cements my transition.
I literally did the exact thing you did with transitioning to PC. And I feel the exact same way.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Nowhere Man said:
Azaraxzealot said:
I fully agree on all your points! It's time to start fresh and let the indies take over. At least they actually love video games.
But the sad fact is, while they would, and it would be awesome for a while, eventually they would turn into the EAs and Activisions.

And we'll have to do this all over again.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
So, the editor of Official Xbox Magazine says this
[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/MrJonty/statuses/336924553848684544]

How does it know that you've actually sold the disk and didn't just give the disk to a friend to pay for another (hopefully cheaper) copy? Does this mean that every time you install it to another account and pay for it, the previous copy is gone?

And now, there will be no fee to install the game? Huh?

[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/statuses/336952046345400320]

What the heck is Microsoft doing? Can anyone decipher what they are trying to tell us?

edit: so there won't be a fee? You just have to install it to your hard drive every time you switch accounts? It's not as bad but it's still going to be really really annoying and time consuming.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
scorptatious said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Fappy said:

Seriously, why would anyone WANT the industry to crash?? Regardless of how you feel about things right now, that just seems incredibly selfish.

OT: Well, either way, I don't plan to buy this console. I'll probably just settle for the PS4 and possibly a better computer so I can get more into PC gaming.
Sure there will be a lot of people hurt, but guess what we got out of the last crash? Nintendo as we know it.

It's like a forest fire. Sure it's tragic and destructive, but in the long run, it does so many good things for the forest that we can't honestly say it's a bad thing.

And similarly, the game industry is like an overgrown forest in DESPERATE need of a cleansing fire to get rid of all the dead shit below and all the suffocating canopy above that prevents new ideas from being born and living.
You're assuming that a crash is automatically going to fix everything. While it is true that Nintendo rose from the ashes of the last crash, it's kinda unlikely that the same kind of thunder is going to strike twice.

Who knows though? Maybe that kind of thing will happen. Although at this point in time, it's all just speculation. And I'm rather hesitant to place my bets on something that's only speculated about.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Moonlight Butterfly said:
PC gamers who use Steam don't buy second hand games because they can wait for a steam sale and buy it cheaper than it would be marked down in the store anyway.

At least that's true for where I live.
PC gamers haven't had a real used game market for over 10 years

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Zombie_Moogle said:
Forget resale. Can I even play the same game twice?
Verrrrry good question. I don't keep all that many games (I like the trade in deal at Gamestop too much) but the ones I do keep I like playing over and over again with a significant time lapse in between playthroughs.

I've reinstalled KOTOR on at least three crappy laptops over the years. I replayed Oblivion about three months ago. If I had to pay for those 'privilages' I don't think I'd be gaming any more.

Are they really that blind?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
scorptatious said:
Azaraxzealot said:
scorptatious said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Fappy said:

You're assuming that a crash is automatically going to fix everything. While it is true that Nintendo rose from the ashes of the last crash, it's kinda unlikely that the same kind of thunder is going to strike twice.

Who knows though? Maybe that kind of thing will happen. Although at this point in time, it's all just speculation. And I'm rather hesitant to place my bets on something that's only speculated about.
I did not assume a crash could fix everything. It would be a slow process, but things would get better than they are. And with so much time between crashes and so much happening, I believe that it's highly likely another Nintendo could grow from the ashes.

Ever heard of a company called Valve? Nintendo started as something other than a console manufacturer, developer, and publisher, Valve has hardware in the works and they're already 2/3 of the way there.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
CJ1145 said:
I often take multiplayer games to my friends' houses so we can play them there. Since lugging my Xbox around is dumb as shit, I just carry the disk.

Someone care to tell me why this new system is screwing me and my friends over when we're using the product as (presumably) intended?
Because FUCK YOU
Also, because money

Seriously, this is so painfully anti-consumer that I still have to wait until it's completely confirmed because it's just mind-boggling evil. News are still flying around high and low so I'm waiting until the dust settles to see what is actually true but if this is true there's no way in hell I'll get an anti-consumer multimedia... THING that doesn't let me play shit until I recite the Microsoft pledge and do the corresponding MS dance in front of the Always-On-Kinect (also pay extra money)

Grey Carter said:
Elijah Newton said:
Grey Carter said:
However, unlike PS3 games, once installed, Xbone games can be ran without the disc in the drive.
Oh sweet manky jeebus, please don't let this be a typo to be corrected. 'Xbone' is too terrific, just go with it. I think it's how I'm going to refer to it.

I say this as an owner of an Xbox and an Xbox 360 - based on what I'm reading I really don't think I want to get Xbone'd.
It's not a typo. That's what I'm calling it.
And it's a better name than its actual name

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
This basically means that it's physical downloads? Or something? I'm not gonna fly off the handle like most people here; but this is indeed confusing more than anything else.

leady129

Aug 3, 2009
*Looks at game pile*
20 disks; thirteen loaners from mates, seven purchased from what tiny tiny cash flow I possess.
Bollocks, well there goes that method.

Honestly though, I can't see this being a big problem. I just need to stop this annoying habit of buying games while out with a mate and then popping it in his console to have a look because I left mine at home. If it happens to be an anticipated game that we both really want to see... STIFF... It'll have to wait until I've returned home to installed the game first.

Also a little sketchy on the whole 'game must be repurchased and re-downloaded for each individual account on the machine'.

Other than that, seems like a fair system. Not that it really matters, my wallet is destined for the PS4 anyway, but nice to finally hear some of the Xbox rumors put to bed.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
That's it. I am getting a gaming PC. Microsoft wants me to "deal with it" Fine, I will deal with it by buying a gaming PC.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
SonOfVoorhees said:
I dont think its all that bad, depends on the price they will charge for playing a pre owned game. If its a few pounds its not that big a deal if you bought the game for £10. Although, for me, most of the games i play are rentals from Lovefilm and i only buy new games if they are something i really want.

I guess we will have to wait and see.
Don't quote me on this, but it's looking like that the 'fee' will be equivalent to the price of the actual game. In essence they will have to buy the game for download, not just have a friend borrow it.

LT Cannibal 68

Dec 9, 2010
doesn't really affect me one way or another, I buy new games anyway rarely buy used ones.
and still getting both either way anyway.