Microsoft Hints at Pre-Owned Fee For Xbox One Games

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
I love how the supporters of the "anti-used game" method are telling use that it's not big deal to be inconvenienced like this. It is a big deal because it is so inconvenienced. Everything about the Xbox One screams, "We do not trust our customers with our product." And some of you are, "Okay, cool." Not this type of tactic is never okay, EVER. They are making it extremely difficult for their customers with not positive side to it. Valve may have a similar tactic, but they give great support and sales to the customer. Nothing about this is even remotely close to the word Acceptable.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008

It's as ugly as an old 1980's VCR but it seems the VCR is a lot more user friendly.
I think it's funny how they thought this was going to go over reasonably saying no used games and all that nonsense. And to the people trying to compare this to steam, no it's not the same, the games are never discounted in sales at 75% off including 4 packs where you can get 1 copy free in that.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
If this is true, I think Microsft has earned the escapist certified bad idea award.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Wait till the publishers hear about it.
Apperently now instead of paying the artist you have to pay publishers AND microsoft extra fees :D

Zombie_Moogle said:
Let me make sure I've got this

A disc is good for 1 install on 1 500GB HDD. How many AAA games could 500GB hold? Eventually you'd need to delete older ones to install newer games; does this mean they're gonna try to charge customers to play the game that they themselves already bought brand-new at full price?

Forget resale. Can I even play the same game twice?
not 1 install. 1 account. the way it looks is that it ties to your xbox account, and if your not using internet they cant do squat about it essentialy you can reinstalle it as many times as you want if you are usign same xbox account. (or not using one? can you do that if your offline? my cousin is still "in account" even without it being connected to the net, dont own xbox myself).

death525 said:
Wait, it is tied to a single account. What about games that only allow for one save file? What are me and my brother supposed to do? Pay $60 for the game and then who knows how much more just so we can have two save files. Thanks Microsoft for turning me into a Sony fan boy.
wait, isnt one save file kinda died way back in 2005 or so? do they still actually use such crappy technique?

Aris Khandr said:
My question is more to "What about multi-user homes?" We've got a generation right now where every member of a household has their own account, with their own achievements, friends, and history. I don't think you'll entice too many people to buy the activation for each family member who wants to play the game you've already paid $60 for.
What about them? according to the companies, you should buy a new game for each machine.

scorptatious said:
And cost many many people their jobs in the process! YAY!

Seriously, why would anyone WANT the industry to crash?? Regardless of how you feel about things right now, that just seems incredibly selfish.

OT: Well, either way, I don't plan to buy this console. I'll probably just settle for the PS4 and possibly a better computer so I can get more into PC gaming.
Some companies need to go bancrupt so other, better ones may take their place. such is a nature of free market. sure, it costs peoples work in the process, but that is a casuallity we have accepted the moment we agreed to use free market system. a crash would actually be a good thing at this point despite the people loosing thier jobs. also there are some people that deserve to loose thier jobs if this is what they come up with.
And yes, it is selfish to want the company to go away and be replaced by a better one, because a better company will be better, you know.
Also, your not buying Xbone? then you want it to crash too, how evil of you (im joking ofc).

CJ1145 said:
I often take multiplayer games to my friends' houses so we can play them there. Since lugging my Xbox around is dumb as shit, I just carry the disk.

Someone care to tell me why this new system is screwing me and my friends over when we're using the product as (presumably) intended?
your friend has 2 xbox systems?

Gamegodtre said:
the difference is if i wanted a PC id buy a PC for 2 grand and never look back however for people who buy consoles it for the convience of not having to bother with the installs, the one time use games, and all the other rigmaroll that comes along with the PC.
what Xbone has done here is essentially made a PC and are now calling it a console, yet i cant swap graphics cards, ram, or anything else to improve its proformance and unlike PCs its not BC to older PC games which is bizarre cosidering i can play xp games on 8 and some 95 games
PC installs are easier than Console isntalls nowadays. One-time-games were a faield experiment and i only ever bought one that had something like that (FC2, shitty game). PC gaming is no longer a "you must know about computers" type of deal, its as easy as console gaming. it got streamlined years ago.

SonOfVoorhees said:
Thats nothing mate. I read on kotaku that the fee will be full price.....thats why ea is happy.
kotaku. and you believed it?

Nashidar said:
What IS an issue is the fact you have to pay again if you want to play with a second account on the SAME console.

That's where the screw over is happening.
or maybe you shouldnt be making a hundred accounts that are good for nothing but spamming? why cant people use 1 account?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
arc1991 said:
Please make a thread and shut everyone up, i knew Microsoft wouldn't be that stupid.
Major Nelson said on his blog that people playing used games would have to pay unless the original game's owner was signed in on their console.

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-and-used-games/

I doubt Major Nelson (the director of programming at Microsoft) is giving out false information.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
wooty said:
This thing just seems to be taking the piss more and more. Stories are all about an ugly console (not really a problem), Kinect 2, used games fees, another call of duty and a OS crammed with social media dribble.

Can't say they've impressed me with this one, hopefully Sony can do better in a few weeks time.
I think Sony is going to be the refined, sleek alternative to Microsoft's untenable monster.

They botched online this generation, but they get how important it is now. I don't see it being a problem this go around. Combine that with PS + that is absolutely worth the price you pay for it, and a system that is feature packed but not full of bloatware like this new Xbox is looking to be, and it's a no brainer I think.

Any serious consumer can tell when a company is more interested in turning everyone one of their customers into a revenue stream, opposed to a company interested in a great product as well as the bottom line.

I'm in for a PS4 barring any unforeseen revelations that that system will suck ass as well.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
bug_of_war said:
Nashidar said:
What IS an issue is the fact you have to pay again if you want to play with a second account on the SAME console.

That's where the screw over is happening.
...then use the same account. I've never had that issue where I've needed a second account for someone else to use to play the same game on because most people have their own console/most games give you the option to use multiple save files on the same profile. As with split-screen multiplayer, I'm sure we'll still be able to do so without everyone paying 40 bucks. So while this isn't an attractive feature, it's not something that I find entirely off putting. I still haven't decided whether I'm getting a PS4 or an Xbone yet, and to be honest the main deciding factor is going to be the games available on each console. And right now all Sony is offering is some okay-ish games that don't really interest me/games going to be available on 360/PS3, so yeah, I'm totally on the fence right now.
Little kids man. They got to have their own account. With a certain background. And icons. And such.

OT:
Remember when you just put a game in a console and it played? Like, not even a hit the play button, just slam in some Super Mario RPG or Armored Core and there ya go.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Snowblindblitz said:
Little kids man. They got to have their own account. With a certain background. And icons. And such.

OT:
Remember when you just put a game in a console and it played? Like, not even a hit the play button, just slam in some Super Mario RPG or Armored Core and there ya go.
Thought didn't even cross my mind. Well, I guess it would be alright if your kids are young and they're playing PG and G games, but yeah...kids don't stay 4-10 for long, and I'd be lying to say I hadn't been playing GTA when I was 8 so yeah...I can now see where the rock gets thrown at some people.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Not sure there will defiantly be a need to buy a used game license for every player on the same copy.

There are a number of potential systems, including a linked account system like the Wii U uses, where there is one major account through which purchases etc are made but individual user accounts that can access it. While the WiiU has many faults its method here has advantages.

Its possible they won't choose a sensible option like this but I like to consider other options before I throw a toddler tantrum and fixate on the worst option I can come up with.

I also like Gamestops hypocrisy in the used game issue. Trying to pretend that they are opposing this for any other reason than it cuts into their gravy train used game profits.How dare MS try and get a cut of gamestops action. And it's gamestop et al's action that anti-used games initiatives are aimed at. Publishers who see other corporations repetitively making profit on their products after the initial sale.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Well, the "fee" for subsequent installs is probably the first step to controling the used games market.
Think about it, if the "fee" is $10 and the game new is $60 then there is no point anyone paying more than $50 for a used game. Hell, you'd be better off just finding someone who will lend you a copy for the time it takes you to install and pay for it.

Plus, by the sound of it, you can play without paying as long as you have the disc, so multi-user houses will have 1 installed copy, then every other user will just have to have the game disc in the drive, just like they do now. Difference being, they will have the option of paying for their own, installed copy (hopefully at a dreastically reduced fee, yeah... I know...) to use whenever they want (and apparently on any XBone they log in to).

Plus, "XBone" genius!

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Feeling delighted I bought that pc at the moment.

I can only hope the more aptly named ps4 doesn't pull any of this shit, because anyone who thinks they can fuck me an get away with it, better be an attractive girl or they won't be getting any of my money.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
Xbox lost me since I was to pay gold account to use netflix, when my smart tv does it for free !!!! having to pay for gold subscription doesn't make sense. I'm already paying for my broad band, I have to pay to play games online? Come on, free to play MMO's are the next big thing on the PC market (with micro transaction and perks for donating or buying a deluxe version of the game). Now mandatory online authorisation of games is once again screwing over the people who don't have easy access to internet, mandatory game installs, and extra fees for second hand games?

PC's already have big advantages and now Microsoft is going to try and screw over the second hand market? Never have I seen a industry try and make money off the second hand industry, invading someone elses territory is not just morally wrong, its the customers that are getting screwed over! The publishers (EA), aggressive DRM (securom) and now Microsoft need to get its head out of its own ass, the customers are always right. It doesn't matter whether its normal products or digital/software products... the customers are always right.
You are scaring everyone away! Ah to hell with xbox, it had a good run. Play station with their free online network and a multitude of new games for PS3 coming (they always had a habit of supporting their older consoles) all points towards one thing, they are about to get a big spike in sales.

Wainamoinen

Jan 16, 2010
You all here do know that this rumour has already been dismissed by Microsoft, right? Right?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353538/xbox-one-perform-recurring-online-checks-even-for-offline-play

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
johnmaikeru said:
1) Write about something in a cocksure manner that shows just how much of an ignorant twat you are
Why don't you post a youtube video of you loudly shouting at the camera (while shoving chocolate cake in your mouth) to complete this post.

johnmaikeru said:
3) Bash Microsoft for doing (PROPOSING) something Sony and every other console manufacturer have been having wet dreams about (discs being irreversibly bound to a console? Ala Sony's brief fantasy of completely demolishing the pre-owned market)

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

johnmaikeru said:
4) Insult gamers for feeling "entitled" on your piss-poor excuse for a comic strip- then grace us with your strong BAWWW-ing

Good show, Jonathan "24x-DVD-fo-lyfe" Carter.
Yes, because informing customers of a fucking locust plague coming for our wallets, must be the devils work!

Save your anger for Microsoft, a larger ever more growing, morally bankrupt corporation deserves it than a faceless random guy on the internet don't you think?

Wainamoinen said:
You all here do know that this rumour has already been dismissed by Microsoft, right? Right?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353538/xbox-one-perform-recurring-online-checks-even-for-offline-play
you do realize that the programming director of Microsoft has already confirmed that fees for second hand games is real, its not just a idea or a rumor, its actually been implemented and will be mandatory (ugh that word again) "feature".

"Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend?s house ? should you choose to play your game at your friend?s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile"
http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-and-used-games/
(Major Nelson, the director of programming at Microsoft)

It doesn't get anymore confirmed than that, you expect us to believe a random FAQ anybody could have wrote, or some vague statement from Microsoft on the twitter account. They are trying to hush things up till the launch date.

Wainamoinen

Jan 16, 2010
"hile there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. "

= It's confirmed according to you? Please.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Wainamoinen said:
"hile there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. "

= It's confirmed according to you? Please.
"Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend?s house ? should you choose to play your game at your friend?s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile."

The bolded part implies that there is a fee when the original owner is not signed in.