Microsoft Hints at Pre-Owned Fee For Xbox One Games

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Is it just me that doesn't see this as a huge deal? I mean, it's a dick move sure, but depending on what the fee actually is, still not that bad.

If it's just the same as the online pass fee (about a tenner) and you buy used games the way you're supposed to --i.e. at a heavily discounted price and not from extortionists like HMV who only knock a couple of quid off the RRP to maximise their own profits-- then you're still going to get the games at a heavily discounted price.

I can't say I'm thrilled that they're doing this, but it's better than the alternative that was being bandied around a few months earlier, that the console would just lock out used games altogether.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
johnmaikeru said:
Are you fucking retarded? Don't write a fucking tech column if you're techno-e-fucking-lliterate.

[...]

2) Fail to proofread it ("...than traditional a DVD...")
"techno-e-fucking-lliterate"
elliterate

-

On-topic, I'll wait and see how this plays out. Ninety percent of the console games I ever bought were pre-owned, so anti-used game tech is a dealbreaker for me (right up there next to paying for mediocre, ad- and twelve-year-old-infested online play).

death525

Aug 29, 2009
Strazdas said:
Wait till the publishers hear about it.
Apperently now instead of paying the artist you have to pay publishers AND microsoft extra fees :D

death525 said:
Wait, it is tied to a single account. What about games that only allow for one save file? What are me and my brother supposed to do? Pay $60 for the game and then who knows how much more just so we can have two save files. Thanks Microsoft for turning me into a Sony fan boy.
wait, isnt one save file kinda died way back in 2005 or so? do they still actually use such crappy technique?
No, Call of Duty multiplayer (and singleplayer I think) is one save per account.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
How does this work without the 'always online' function? If it's not connected to the internet, how would it know the game has been installed before? It may not have to 'always' be online, but it might need an internet connection to install a game.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Ukomba said:
How does this work without the 'always online' function? If it's not connected to the internet, how would it know the game has been installed before? It may not have to 'always' be online, but it might need an internet connection to install a game.
From what I understand, the console requires you to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours. Not sure what happens if you don't connect though.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Tank207 said:
Ukomba said:
From what I understand, the console requires you to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours. Not sure what happens if you don't connect though.
I understand that, but it seems you'd have to be connected at the time of installation. Unless it lets you install and play until you reach that point where you have to go online and stops you at that point.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Ukomba said:
Tank207 said:
Ukomba said:
I understand that, but it seems you'd have to be connected at the time of installation. Unless it lets you install and play until you reach that point where you have to go online and stops you at that point.
I'm honestly not entirely sure what is going on with this thing. There are so many rumors flying around, and Microsoft seems to just be tapdancing around most of the questions people are asking. All I keep seeing from them are a bunch of non answers(in regards to the used game thing at least).

I don't plan on getting an Xbone, but I would really like some clarity as to what they're doing with it.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Strazdas said:
CJ1145 said:
I often take multiplayer games to my friends' houses so we can play them there. Since lugging my Xbox around is dumb as shit, I just carry the disk.

Someone care to tell me why this new system is screwing me and my friends over when we're using the product as (presumably) intended?
your friend has 2 xbox systems?
Do fighting games and splitscreen just not exist in your mind?

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Hm, on the one hand people are perfectly fine with a system like this on Steam but it's a no go for consoles. I understand that a console is traditionally the more "social" gaming device that requires physical contact - bringing games to friends' houses for local multiplayer and what not (more convenient than bringing a PC game that would require an install) but that era's sadly fading away. On the plus side this move might be drastic enough to tank the Xbox and send a message to other companies in the future NOT to do it.

Also it JUST hit me what a confusing name Xbox One is.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Gatx said:
Hm, on the one hand people are perfectly fine with a system like this on Steam but it's a no go for consoles.
Steam frequently has sales where you can buy games for less than what they'd cost if they were pre-owned.

I don't see Microsoft doing the same thing though. Games on demand still cost a ton even after they've been out for years, they almost never go on sale and when they do it's usually like 10% off.

johnmaikeru

Mar 26, 2013
"This message is being automatically sent by the forum system to let you know that you have been issued a warning by a forum moderator."

"Reason: Please do not insult our newsroom contributors."

Contributor = above reproach?

Get your fucking facts right- Bluray read speeds are not "with much slower read times than traditional a DVD drive."

johnmaikeru

Mar 26, 2013
TheUnbeholden said:
johnmaikeru said:
1) Write about something in a cocksure manner that shows just how much of an ignorant twat you are
Why don't you post a youtube video of you loudly shouting at the camera (while shoving chocolate cake in your mouth) to complete this post.
Love how you omitted my second point, wrote something random about my first, and completely failed to address my accusation.

TheUnbeholden said:
johnmaikeru said:
3) Bash Microsoft for doing (PROPOSING) something Sony and every other console manufacturer have been having wet dreams about (discs being irreversibly bound to a console? Ala Sony's brief fantasy of completely demolishing the pre-owned market)
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/03/sony-japan-patents-nfc-tech-to-suppress-second-hand-game-sales-report/

TheUnbeholden said:
johnmaikeru said:
4) Insult gamers for feeling "entitled" on your piss-poor excuse for a comic strip- then grace us with your strong BAWWW-ing

Good show, Jonathan "24x-DVD-fo-lyfe" Carter.
Yes, because informing customers of a fucking locust plague coming for our wallets, must be the devils work!

Save your anger for Microsoft, a larger ever more growing, morally bankrupt corporation deserves it than a faceless random guy on the internet don't you think?
I'm pissed because he's obviously a fucking hypocrite- he writes about how gamers have no right to complain about games- yet in the same breath goes on to criticize the development of a new gaming console? This is nothing new- if it does happen- it was bound to happen eventually and painting a target on Microsoft isn't going to help anything.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Dear Microsoft. This is Sony. Just wanted to thankyou for all your business;D
about sums it up

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
johnmaikeru said:
http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/03/sony-japan-patents-nfc-tech-to-suppress-second-hand-game-sales-report/
so Sony was trying to do something similar?

Infringing on another industry and damaging consumers is stupid of Microsoft (hopefully Sony realizes this before they make the same fatal mistake), Used games are a different market, trying to make people pay full price for a used game is backwards bull. God this is like designing DvD discs that explode after a year or 2. If one of the consoles actually ends up like this I will refuse to buy it.

hmm it also seems that Nintendo is doing something else, attacking Lets Plays

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/10341-Nintendo-Wants-Its-Cut

Shamus Young said:
Nintendo Wants Its Cut

last week Nintendo announced that they will be making copyright infringement claims against people who do let's plays of Nintendo games. If you upload footage of yourself playing through a Nintendo game, advertisements will will be added to your video. If you already have ads, they'll just take the revenue and leave you with nothing.

Read Full Article
Nintendo is only damaging itself with this bull.
(Lets Plays are something that actually benefits the company)

johnmaikeru said:
I'm pissed because he's obviously a fucking hypocrite- he writes about how gamers have no right to complain about games- yet in the same breath goes on to criticize the development of a new gaming console? This is nothing new- if it does happen- it was bound to happen eventually and painting a target on Microsoft isn't going to help anything.
No bad deed goes unpunished. I don't know how its bound to happen because its really stupid.. they are hoping people will "get over it", or that it will "all blow over"? People will just use older consoles or move to the PC.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Hopefully the Xbox1 will tank and devs will pull their noses out of Mircrosoft's ass and rub the money green shit out of their eyes and actually try and make games geared more towards PC, and stop with the bullshit console exclusives.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even have a gaming PC but got tired of graphics comparisons when games are made on 360 then ported (resulting in shittier graphics) to the PS3. Which both score far below PC...not that graphics are everything.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
death525 said:
Strazdas said:
Wait till the publishers hear about it.
Apperently now instead of paying the artist you have to pay publishers AND microsoft extra fees :D

death525 said:
Wait, it is tied to a single account. What about games that only allow for one save file? What are me and my brother supposed to do? Pay $60 for the game and then who knows how much more just so we can have two save files. Thanks Microsoft for turning me into a Sony fan boy.
wait, isnt one save file kinda died way back in 2005 or so? do they still actually use such crappy technique?
No, Call of Duty multiplayer (and singleplayer I think) is one save per account.
multiplayer saves? multiplayer has accounts, that save automatically. it makes sense that one account has... well.... one account.
dont know about singleplayer of COD as i dont play COD.

CJ1145 said:
YOu need two games for this because? if you take your game and sign into your account at your friends house you can play splitscreen.
no, fighting games dont exist in my mind because they are not games, they are elaborate way to destroy keyboards. (jk ofc).
Frankly, i dont remmeber last time i saw a game that allowed splitscreen too. they all seem to go "fuck splitscreen, fuck lan, do it on the internet noobs"

johnmaikeru said:
"This message is being automatically sent by the forum system to let you know that you have been issued a warning by a forum moderator."

"Reason: Please do not insult our newsroom contributors."

Contributor = above reproach?

Get your fucking facts right- Bluray read speeds are not "with much slower read times than traditional a DVD drive."
you are not allowed to insult anyone, not only contributors here. and even such a thing as calling somone a troll is considered a banable insult here.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Strazdas said:
CJ1145 said:
YOu need two games for this because? if you take your game and sign into your account at your friends house you can play splitscreen.
no, fighting games dont exist in my mind because they are not games, they are elaborate way to destroy keyboards. (jk ofc).
Frankly, i dont remmeber last time i saw a game that allowed splitscreen too. they all seem to go "fuck splitscreen, fuck lan, do it on the internet noobs"
Are you... I'm not sure you've actually read a word I said. I never mentioned anything about both of us owning a copy of the game. I'm the one with the game. That's why I am bringing it over to play instead of playing their copy. I have no idea where you pulled that conclusion from. I'm baffled right now.

MPerce

May 29, 2011

whelp, guess I'm part of the PC Master Race now.

Is there, like, a ritual or something I need to do?