Microsoft Not Jumping on the HD Remake Bandwagon

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Microsoft Not Jumping on the HD Remake Bandwagon

The Halo remake is sadly not a sign of things to come.

343 Industries' Frank O'Connor says that the gussied up re-release of Halo: Combat Evolved isn't the start of a series of HD remakes from Microsoft. Instead, it's being created specifically to celebrate the game's tenth anniversary.

"We started work on Halo Anniversary conceptually a couple of years ago," he said. "It was something people had asked for really specifically, like: 'Give us an HD remake of Halo.'" He said that the remake was like a gift to players, and that timing played a really big part. "If this was the 12th year [since Halo launched] we probably wouldn't be doing it. It's a specific event."

343 were coy about whether Halo 2, which turns ten in 2014, would also get a remake, neither confirming not denying it. However, as Halo 2 was one of the most popular game on Xbox Live for years - with people playing it until they literally couldn't [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100597-Halo-2-The-Last-Spartan-Falls] anymore - it seems a pretty safe bet that we'll be seeing it remade in the future.

Of course, even if Microsoft isn't about to release a bunch of HD remakes, it doesn't mean that third party developers and publishers won't. Konami, for example, is bringing the Metal Gear Solid collection and the Zone of the Enders collection to the console. Hopefully, more developers will follow suit, as there are plenty of classic games from the last generation that would look great with updated graphics.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/309824/news/xbox-hd-remakes-not-part-of-a-pattern/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Good, I dont want to have every game that exists made again just for the sake of nostalgia, waisting developers time on making shit that was already made instead of letting them create new original games.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
Good.

While I like the idea of my favorite games getting better graphics. Giving me the chance to buy them and relive the glory days. It's still a waste of time and money. For example, I have Halo and can go back and play it whenever the hell I want. So why would I need an updated version? That won't stop me from buying this HD remake of Halo. But it also doesn't mean it isn't a waste of time.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Konami, for example, is bringing the Metal Gear Solid collection and the Zone of the Enders collection to the console.
Zone of the Enders Collection? When was this announced, and why have I not heard of it? Oh please God, let this be real... I so want this to be real...

OT: That sounds like a good policy to me. I mean, the game is one of the most successful and influential games of all time, and single-handedly shaped an entire console generation. Heck, the influence of the game is still being seen today. I just wonder how good the remake will be...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I took it as a sign that 343 is incapable of making a good game, so they took an old game, slapped a new coat of paint on and rereleased it to placate graphics whores who don't realize that it is the same fucking game they played 10 years ago.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Yeah the only HD they did, they ended ruining the game... Conker bad fur day... and in theyre ignorence after ruining the game they decided to cancel the long-awaited sequel....

Microsoft and EA and on the top of my list of: Most retard, greedy, "gaming" company in the world...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
[HEADING=1]Hold it![/HEADING]

Didn't the HD remake of Beyond Good and Evil just come out on 360? I'm sure that could be seen as jumping on the bandwagon if you were so inclined...

Anyway nitpicking aside, i don't have anything against HD remakes. As long as they don't stop devs from making something more original that is

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
The Wykydtron said:

Didn't the HD remake of Beyond Good and Evil just come out on 360? I'm sure that could be seen as jumping on the bandwagon if you were so inclined...

Anyway nitpicking aside, i don't have anything against HD remakes. As long as they don't stop devs from making something more original that is
Thats not an Xbox exclusive, as I can snag it on PSN too. Ergo not microsoft jumping on the bandwagon, just everyone else.

Oh, but I do call Shenanigans. Halo 2 will get remade if Halo: AE sells well. Like they wouldn't embrace their cash cow in a reborn form? (neverminding 4, 5, and 6, since those could still tank, theoretically)

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
HD remakes aren't really that bad as long as the new visuals complement the old visual aesthetic well. I'd really like to see Freelancer remade but prettier, because the visuals did put me off. Good gameplay, good game, but awful visuals.

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
Oh no! What a shame! I'm so sick and tired of people trying to make new games, and was really hoping everyone would just stick to re-releasing old games with updated graphics. [/saracasm].

I personally don't see any need at all for HD-remakes. It's not going to make me buy a new copy of a game I already own, and most likely wont persuade me to buy a game whose past incarnation I decided to not buy.

Jul 22, 2009
The Wykydtron said:

Yeah this article is talking about Microsoft owned games, Ubisoft remade BGE in HD.

OT: That is part shame and part relief, we don't want eveyr company thinking they can make all their old games shiny for a bit of extra cash, but there are some amazing titles that really could do with a re-release... *cough* Conkers *cough*

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I'm not sure why this is a bad thing, I don't want remakes made of games made from one gen ago, if your going to remake something pick something I cant pick up for ten bucks at every Gamestop.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
TitanAtlas said:
Yeah the only HD they did, they ended ruining the game... Conker bad fur day... and in theyre ignorence after ruining the game they decided to cancel the long-awaited sequel....

Microsoft and EA and on the top of my list of: Most retard, greedy, "gaming" company in the world...
Care to explain why do you find Conker ruined?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
josemlopes said:
TitanAtlas said:

The multiplayer was completely fucked over, the campaign had some flaws in it that bothered the hell out of me, and the graphics didn't add anything to it really, it just made a silly game trying to be silly, seem serious, which ruined the silliness completely.

I like being able to see my enemy and shoot him, not have to try and pick out his name through the giant screaming names that everyone has.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Torrasque said:
josemlopes said:
TitanAtlas said:

The multiplayer was completely fucked over, the campaign had some flaws in it that bothered the hell out of me, and the graphics didn't add anything to it really, it just made a silly game trying to be silly, seem serious, which ruined the silliness completely.

I like being able to see my enemy and shoot him, not have to try and pick out his name through the giant screaming names that everyone has.
Really? I thought the multiplayer was great and the game was over the top silly. Graphics don't make a game serious unless its trying to be GRITTY

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Am I the only person who sees this whole HD-remake craze as being entirely analogous to George Lucas's re-releasing the original trilogy with new special effects? I can't think of a single game being suggested for remake that has graphical quality which by today's standards are literally unplayable.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
The Wykydtron said:

Difference between a re-release and a remake. The graphical updates of Beyond Good and Evil HD (and indeed most HD packs--MGS, Shadow of the Colossus, Sly Cooper, etc. included) basically amount to the game being able to render in 1080p instead of 640x480 interlaced and having some cleaned up textures. Everything else is the same; same polygon count, same lighting, same shading. This remake of Halo features a completely re-done graphics engine with pixel shading and totally new art assets to match; more polygons, new shading, new lighting, everything upgraded to the level of current-gen Xbox 360 titles. It's a significantly larger amount of work, on the level of what Nintendo did with Ocarina of Time on the 3DS.