Microsoft Prohibits Gamers From Cashing in on YouTube

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Daww I can smell the butt hurt from here Microsoft. Does it sting? Do you want some cream for it and a nice nap so you'll stop throwing a tantrum when someone else is borrows your toys without paying a fine?

...Good gravy on mashed potato companies are getting increasingly invasive and petulant this week. Can we just erect a giant 'fuck you' billboard outside all of their offices? Anyone?

Calling Deviantart to get torn down in the next few months for it's monster-load of fan art...

FF.net, you're next.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Entitled said:
Well, it's their IP, they are allowed to do whatever they want to do with it. It's not like they actually have to care about anyone else's interests.
Of course they don't, but on the other hand this kind of attitude is not going to help them net sales, which is the most important thing to them. If you want people to buy your stuff, then the best way to do it is to show some respect to them.

If they object to people making walkthrough's to the game, then I can see their point. That might stop people from buying the game, as well as affecting sales from official strategy guides. But to object to music videos, montages and so on is just petty.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm not exactly sure how this is enforseable, maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way but isn't this like saying you can't sell any pics made in photoshop?
Or any animations made in Source Movie Maker can't be sold?

Either way I don't really think it's fair to do this considering LPs and commentaries sell games, it's why I wind up getting a lot of games anyway.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
What a HORRIBLY stupid idea.

Those videos generate LOTS of interest in the games being shown. If there are no Halo 4 videos, it can only HURT the franchise.

I wasn't gonna buy this game or watch these videos anyway myself, but still, what a absolutely TERRIBLE marketing decision.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Why? Please tell me how the fuck are youtubers who make money this way hurting Microsoft? Why are they stopping people from making a little extra money in this fucked up economy when it doesn't hurt them in any way? It's like wanting to be an asshole for the sole purpose of being an asshole. This isn't even in Microsoft's best interests. If I was the one making money this way I would stop buying ANYTHING Microsoft related. In fact, I would do everything in my power to persuade as many people as I can to stop buying Microsoft products.

I hope Windows 8 fails miserably.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
BJ_Pwn said:
Goodbye, Red Vs Blue
Nope. Rooster Teeth has a contract with Microsoft, otherwise how would they get all the early access for Halo 4 to do PSAs and junk. Clearly they won't be effected by this, but for youtube commentators it might be hell for them when it is released. ^_^

On my opinion...it makes me sad.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
It's amazing how easy it is to whip you howler monkeys into a frenzy. To quote previous posters;

Grenge Di Origin said:
Here, let me prove all of you bitching about this "wrongdoing" in one quote:
<quote=Google AdSense Standard Online Terms and Conditions, Section 5 subsection D>D. You further agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein.

As in, nobody could've technically legally done this before this announcement.

/thread
Seriously, do a tiny bit of research before you start throwing shit at your computer screens.

The_R3d_Fury

Jul 7, 2011
Nope. Rooster Teeth has a contract with Microsoft, otherwise how would they get all the early access for Halo 4 to do PSAs and junk. Clearly they won't be effected by this, but for youtube commentators it might be hell for them when it is released. ^_^

On my opinion...it makes me sad.[/quote]

Ok then. YOU wanted to do playthroughs on YouTube, so now you cant do Halo. And what about the NEXT RoosterTeeth? Al the guys new to machinima making can no longer use Halo, even though there are so many good tools.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
So why has Microsoft turned douchey? Closing their OS and now this? Wow.

don't hurt me I have a Mac
apple beat microsoft. apple control over yourp latform is of the level of hitlers ocntrol of nazi germany. microsoft want nazi-like control. they are shutting down its users from any competitor.
it all makes sense, instead of having only one choice - windows, we will have no choice at all.
It doesnt take ACTA to stop the internet, you just have to turn off the computers.

Then again you said you have a MAC, so i guess the point is already beyond you.

Grenge Di Origin said:
<quote=Google AdSense Standard Online Terms and Conditions, Section 5 subsection D>D. You further agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein.

/thread
Wrong. The footage video you have filmed is not copyright to MS, because they didnt manage to push though SOPA and PIPA. it is copyright to YOU, and therefore legal to do this.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Strazdas said:
Evil Smurf said:
So why has Microsoft turned douchey? Closing their OS and now this? Wow.

don't hurt me I have a Mac
apple beat microsoft. apple control over yourp latform is of the level of hitlers ocntrol of nazi germany. microsoft want nazi-like control. they are shutting down its users from any competitor.
it all makes sense, instead of having only one choice - windows, we will have no choice at all.
It doesnt take ACTA to stop the internet, you just have to turn off the computers.

Then again you said you have a MAC, so i guess the point is already beyond you.
/hurt

I'm not an idiot. I just really like the GUI

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Ympulse said:
It's amazing how easy it is to whip you howler monkeys into a frenzy. To quote previous posters;

Grenge Di Origin said:

/thread
Seriously, do a tiny bit of research before you start throwing shit at your computer screens.
(sighs)

If the video you're making is a "transformative work" (i.e. it's your own unique gameplay, you're putting your own commentary over it and/or you're showing clips to illustrate a point), it falls under fair use laws. Therefore, it would not fall under typical copyright law. That's how most people who make game-related videos structure their videos.

As it is, the only time any of this was ever enforceable was if a stingy copyright holder (Rockstar, notably) pulled videos to keep spoilers of their games for leaking out. Otherwise, most (if not all) companies look the other way and let you run rampant if you're doing walkthroughs, LP's or commentary. Other industries are a different matter (you can't upload an episode of, say, America's Next Top Model and earn money off it through AdSense), but transformative works for games are pretty clear.

I said it earlier in this topic - this won't do much of anything. The major players are already covered by their licensing/connections (Machinima, Rooster Teeth), and the regular players uploading footage can likely still monetize it if they're using commentary. Apparently, they've already had this policy in place for years, and are just re-affirming it for anyone who plans on trying to earn exorbitant amounts on official trailers and clips.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
BJ_Pwn said:
Fail quote is fail like you making an RP.

And as I said, this is sad. That usually means I am sad about something or a general topic...like this one.

Enough said.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Altorin said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Err... Why do this Microsoft?

People making montages of your games is essentially free advertising for it!

My channel is likely not going to take-off into a YouTube partnership so I guess I have no quarrel with this... Do I?
everyone should have a quarrel with this.

They're basically assaulting fair use, and once fair use goes out the window, fuck the internet, we may as well just bang rocks together.
I was wondering how this would impact review footage and the like, since that's protected under Fair Use.

Last I checked, Fair Use is legally upheld, and trumps any policy MS (or anyone) can make.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm looking at the legalese now. They have ways of distinguishing between what's covered under Fair Use and what isn't.

Disregard this.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Ahh, microsoft. microsoft.. microsoft... 'shakes head'
you pick your battles so poorly
you enrage your paying customers so often
and for what this time?

it 'just' means you cant get 4% of the games value back from adsense
/golfclap
it does not prevent story spoilers in games, it will not stop reviewers ragging on them
it in fact serves no purpose whatsoever other than to annoy people

legal bs, designed to reduce consumer's rights for no reason
congrats