Microsoft Prohibits Gamers From Cashing in on YouTube

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
... You know what? ... I think I found a point where this makes sense:

OnLive, Win8.
With Microsoft adding the whole XBOX-crossover thingy, and the Store to Win8, it sounds reasonable to prevent people from "creating video clips of game footage", which includes streaming of actual gameplay.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Solving problems ass first, brought to you by the friendly local accountants.

The hilarious part is how blindly afraid these companies are of anyone making money, but if they considered it just for a second they would see very clearly Youtube kids are promoting their shit for free and people buy more of their games that way.
Now the big channels that get millions of viewers and you hinder will just promote another game instead, oh MS you brilliant monkeys.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
blackrave said:
Damn, things might get complicated for Rooster Teeth :(
No it won't, they have already have deals with Microsoft, hell they used Halo 4 to do he Halo 4 release date announcement videos.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Tiamat666 said:
Youtube is owned by Google. Microsoft doesn't like Google. Lots of Halo videos on Youtube mean lots of advertising revenue for Google. I suppose MS has a plan to shift control of video game content off Youtube and onto a more MS-friendly platform.
... which will never happen.

At this point, you can't kill YouTube. It's where everybody goes for videos (the extremely few blip-shows aside), and it'll take a lot to change that.

Besides, Google still gets ad revenue. Ads can still run alongside the video, as long as the creator doesn't earn a profit. It just really confuses me how this is good for anyone.
RvLeshrac said:
And I'm sure he monetizes the videos without first obtaining the rights necessary to do so from the developers.

Or, you know, the opposite of that.
To put an end to the discussion regarding Yogscast and TB:

• * Yogscast mainly plays Minecraft, which allows monetisation. Thank Notch.
    * TB gets free indie games (and now a few triple-A titles too) from developers to promote them.
Now that that's out of the way, how does Chuggaaconroy earn money?

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Don't care about Halo montages, but an attack against fair use?

I'll sign dat shit.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I hate to say it, but I don't see much of a problem here. Parodies will be protected by law as well as reviews, and the montage videos will still exist but just not make any money. And beside, I highly doubt that 95% of those montage videos are "Original Content" in the sense that the uploader didn't just edit a string o different videos together.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
You will never love another human as much as Microsoft hates its own user base.

[sub]Pictured: a Microsoft lawyer in its natural habitat[/sub]​

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Way to go Microsoft, way to go. In other news, Fuck Microsoft, and everything it has ever done or will do.

That's right, I'm not even giving it a chance to redeem itself. It's gone too far. Shitty operating systems, shitty software, shitty gaming platform, shitty social media systems, shitty email systems, shitty customer service, shitty business ethics, shitty... erm... logo... shitty shitty shitty.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
I... really can't think of a single reason Microsoft would do this?
They don't offer a competing video upload service for Halo; they aren't losing money from people doing this. If anything, these videos promote their games for free & keep the customers happy

Is this just petty jealousy? Can Microsoft not just stand the idea of anyone else making money if they aren't involved? Wait, they were involved! They sell the game these videos are made of.

Yeah, I don't get it...
Youtube is owned by Google. Microsoft doesn't like Google. Lots of Halo videos on Youtube mean lots of advertising revenue for Google. I suppose MS has a plan to shift control of video game content off Youtube and onto a more MS-friendly platform.
I read through the whole first page and no one quoted you :( I feel this is probably why MS acted like they did as well - YT is Google and MS doesn't like them.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Technically you can still upload microsoft game videos to youtube, just can't select the commercial option for monetizing, only the ads on top, below, left, and right of the video.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
EternalFacepalm said:
  • * Yogscast mainly plays Minecraft, which allows monetisation. Thank Notch.
    * TB gets free indie games (and now a few triple-A titles too) from developers to promote them.
Now that that's out of the way, how does Chuggaaconroy earn money?
Chugga does Nintendo games mainly and Nintendo has no plans of implementing something like this because LPers like Chugga, NCS, and TheRunAwayGuys really give Nintendo free advertising. I know that NCS and Chugga have partnerships because Chugga said in an update that LPing was his job and NCS said how he got his partnership back in his Super Mario Galaxy 2 LP.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
CentralScrtnzr said:
I don't really understand the wisdom of this. It's not like Microsoft is going to bother posting such videos to generate revenue for themselves. All they're going to do is reduce the impetus to post such videos which serve to hype the game. As a consequence, they get less free advertising and less excitement about their product.

They're a bunch of fucking idiots.
Thats the old world thinking and greed for you. Unless you can screw someone out of a lot of money or make the money directly yourself, better to not let the money be made at all by anyone. Regardless of whether or not it will benefit you in the long run or not affect you in the slightest.

Its also why so many IP's are sitting around, rotting. When they could license them off to studios for next to nothing or with just a % of profit agreement.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Well, it's their IP, they are allowed to do whatever they want to do with it. It's not like they actually have to care about anyone else's interests.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Y'know, this and the direction Microsoft is taking Windows 8 in makes me think their just sick of being in business and want to be declared bankrupt as soon as possible.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Overusedname said:
Don't care about Halo montages, but an attack against fair use?

I'll sign dat shit.
It's not an attack on fair use, it's an attack on people monetising their product. You can argue whether or not that's a good thing, but don't conflate it with free use.

V8 Ninja said:
I hate to say it, but I don't see much of a problem here. Parodies will be protected by law as well as reviews, and the montage videos will still exist but just not make any money. And beside, I highly doubt that 95% of those montage videos are "Original Content" in the sense that the uploader didn't just edit a string o different videos together.
This post, for example, seems to get it.

Thedutchjelle said:
I read through the whole first page and no one quoted you :( I feel this is probably why MS acted like they did as well - YT is Google and MS doesn't like them.
Which is why they've chosen an...incredibly narrow attack on them?

No, seriously. Conspiracy theories often neglect simple questions, and that's what you're doing here. The notion that this is anything other than a face value attempt to "protect" their intellectual properties in a very limited sense.

I mean, hell, Microsoft has actually granted folks a license to use their works for non-commercial purposes, which is actually above and beyond what most companies do. Technically, since this was already part of the operating term ("non-commercial"), they haven't even changed the rules so much as clarified them. And as far as I can tell, they haven't actually shut anyone down in the pursuit of taking on Youtube and Google.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
This reeks of "if we can't have it, no one can" mentality.

But I must be optimistic. It seems like game companies are getting dumber and dumber, being bigger and bigger douches to their fans (notable exception of Ubisoft removing their always-on DRM). What if companies acknowledge that the gaming industry is too high-budget and innovation just doesn't work in AAA, so they're essentially committing ritual suicide in order to draw gamers to Kickstarter, the Humble Bundles, and indie games in general?

Now where's that conspiracy Keanu image?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Not a smart idea at all. With Halo 4 just around the corner and an entire community itching to release footage on YouTube, MS is kneecapping themselves in the long run by placing a shackle on their community. I have a bad feeling that this will end up dividing the YouTube/Machinima community and fucking MS over big time. What with this and Windows 8, MS seems to be trying to bankrupt themselves.