Microsoft Prohibits Gamers From Cashing in on YouTube

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I think we should start tabs on how long its been since either sony or microsoft actually had any GOOD news in the past few years. I mean seriously I can't be the only one who is thinking its been 2 years or more of these companies being straight dicks to customers without an ounce of good news.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
If this does anything at all to hurt MLG I'm completely okay with it. Microsoft is definitely the lesser of the two evils.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Using youtube for video games is different to get a clip from a film, isn't it? With the video game clips, the person who puts up the video is essentially giving Microsoft free advertising.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Icehearted said:
If this does anything at all to hurt MLG I'm completely okay with it. Microsoft is definitely the lesser of the two evils.
This doesn't effect MLG at all... and while I don't care for MLG... Why would you be okay with it hurting it?

The Plunk said:
How utterly moronic. I'd like to hear Rooster Teeth and Bungie speak out against this, as they both know that one of the main reasons that Halo is so popular is because it's built up such a massive online community.
Rooster Teeth are exempt from this, just like MLG, Machinima, all major gaming channels...

You normally already can't make money from videos on youtube unless you have a partnership with Machinima or one of the big channels or have a deal with the company. On all other occasions you would have to remove your videos.

Frank O'conner already addressed this and why the whole Halo community isn't complaining anyone but it literally effects NO ONE.

It's sad to see that the original article doesn't bother to update with this. :/

Honestly if this was really a big issue do you think only: 1,750 would have signed up for the petition as of two days now?

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
laserwulf said:
*snip*
What's next, Faber-Castell prohibiting you from making a profit on stories written or sketches drawn using their pencils?
Sketches, maybe, considering, a pencil, like a brush, a specific kind of paint and so on are tools for a painters work. For a writer, this would only be necessary, if the writer would be interested in presenting an actual manuscript, maybe if calligraphy was included, which is rather unusual for today. For most writers of course, the actual words and messages are more important.
Microsoft Office on the other hand...
Hope i'm safe for now, using LibreOffice most of the time. Otherwise i realy might get some trouble in the near future!

On Topic
Honestly, i kinda don't get it. Even if some are exempt and it won't affect most YouTubers anyways, why do that? What about Bloggers? I just can't stop thinking of this metaphor: A giant with Microsoft labeled on it's head, swatting at an insect with a button spelling "proud giant supporter" and constantly hitting itself in the process. Sure, i feel bad about the move, considering i think the restrictions around intellectual property are way to stiff already and not turning for the better right now, but usually i can understand those who are profit driven want to ensure they get what they desire. People giving it a review calling it a bad game don't even have to use ingame footage to do so, but could actually use this as an argument supporting their point, plus they are supported by the right of free press i think. If anyone wants to elaborate and tell me an actual reason Microsoft pulled that off, please do so, my brain hurts from that much stupidity.

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
Poor business decision, the competitive community tends to drive sustainability for such games which in turn drives additional sales, all they're doing is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Mikeyfell said:
Korten12 said:
Mikeyfell said:
Halo is (probably) (easily) the biggest game in the Machinima world this user license seems just flat wrong. It probably won't last very long.
Ach, this is off topic but... Chances are valvegames both before and even more so after the machinimatools were developed had more of those things.

(Btw I dont count headshot montages as machinima)

Then we have World of Warcraft.... if Valves not the largest im betting a loooad of coins that they are. I mean, 4 years ago they had more than anyone else in the business. The number of machinimas out of WoW have risen since then. And we are talking about everything from the usual comedy to flippin music videos. Im not even kidding, one of my classmates have made two of those things with original lyrics.

And if we are talking about the machinima channel.. Well.. ugh.

Long ago they decided that Modern Warfare2 and Halo3 were the only games in existance and focused on publishing stuff out of those, they had a drop in subscribers around then whom have now moved elsewhere. So now its understandable considering that CoD and Halo fans are amongst the few subscribers they have left to listen to their awfull codprograms... I mean, they made a SEPERATE CHANNEL for all the Cod, and 90% of the original one is still Cod.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
Good, the more outrageous EULA's get, the more likely they'll officially become unenforceable.

As far as i'm concerned its an adhesive contract and unenforceable. (you buy a movie theatre ticket and on the back it says that by using the ticket you agree that they can search your car while you are watching the movie. not enforceable as there was no arms length negotiation (or often even any awareness) over said terms.)

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Rooster Teeth are Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked!

Can't say I'm surprised or bothered by this. You shouldn't be making money off of the hard work of others just because you got a few headshots.

Rooster Teeth are a small exception to this, being that they actually animate the stuff themselves. On second thought, do these guys have some sort of contract with Bungie or something? Because they outright sell DVDs.
In general they're exempt.

I don't think people realize but...

Microsoft didn't change anything. The EULA simply clarified things. It's the exact damn thing it was before. Frank O'conner clarified this and that's why the Halo community which originally got up in arms went silent after a day because they realized it was the same and no point in complaining.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43023018&postcount=117

As I mentioned in the Halo community thread, these rules actually haven't really changed, and even the updated and clarified text has been up there for months. I assume somebody just noticed this and posted this morning because it sort of blew up. This has always been the Legal status for the IP (and MOST IPs in fact), and as you also already know, nobody is being sued, or in jail, etc etc etc.

The language isn't designed to stop kids streaming their games, or covering their costs, it's designed to stop big companies from using somebody else's IP to run a business.

We'll put together some language that will help community people navigate this easily, and give people workarounds.
The Plunk said:
Korten12 said:
The Plunk said:
How utterly moronic. I'd like to hear Rooster Teeth and Bungie speak out against this, as they both know that one of the main reasons that Halo is so popular is because it's built up such a massive online community.
Rooster Teeth are exempt from this, just like MLG, Machinima, all major gaming channels...
I know, but as Red vs Blue/Rooster Teeth, MLG and Machinima are probably three of the main reasons that Halo is as popular as it is, these companies and Bungie know how important it is to have a strong online presence. And while this change may not have a huge effect, it still seems like an unnecessary dick-move.
I don't think Halo lives or dies based on if the players can make money.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
saintdane05 said:
So, will this effect Red vs. Blue? It better not...
I think RoosterTeeth has legal permission, pretty sure it's the only reason they are allowed to sell boxed DVDs for RvB.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Huh. I thought this was already the rule. Oh, well.

At least my favorite Interwebz comedy team at Rooster Teeth should be in the clear since by now they've basically partnered with 343 Industries.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
I'm sure I'm not alone in having had unpleasant experiences with the Halo games and their fan base in the past, but this decision must be a bitter pill to swallow. I know I wouldn't be pleased if Bethesda or Valve had made a similar decision. A good Garry's Mod cartoon is like a little beam of sunlight.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Eh maybe it'll thin the herd a bit. There's a crap load of shitty videos on youtube that pop up when I'm trying to search for something else.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Entitled said:
Well, it's their IP, they are allowed to do whatever they want to do with it. It's not like they actually have to care about anyone else's interests.
Copyright laws says otherwise, the intellectual property owner DOES NOT have absolute control over it's use, there is such a thing as "Fair use" and the reason for the massive opposition to SOPA was that it undermined that.

Now Microsoft can call their their lawyers but only by out-spending can they possibly win, this dicta from Microsoft contradicts fair-use clause of US and International copyright law.

Critics are allowed to show footage of the media they review, as long as it is not the entire product. The thing is even a 100% completion Lets play is no match for the real thing as there is no gameplay distributed. It's the equivalent of showing still shots of a movie.