Microsoft: Xbox 360 Leader in Online Gaming

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Microsoft: Xbox 360 Leader in Online Gaming

Following reports that the PlayStation 3 is the most connected console, Microsoft has come out saying that its console is still the leader in online multiplayer.

The PS3's built in wi-fi adapter and free access to the PlayStation Network has always been a major selling point for the console, and a recent study that showed that PS3's were the most connected console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99940-Study-Finds-PS3-Most-Likely-to-Be-Online] is a pretty big feather in Sony's cap. So much so that Microsoft has felt the urge to make it clear that it is the leader in online multiplayer.

"What's important to keep in mind is the level of activity over an online service, especially when comparing a no-cost service [PlayStation Network] to a subscription-based service like Xbox Live," said a Microsoft spokesperson.

"When it comes to total entertainment experiences and value, Xbox 360 continues to lead the charge," they said, citing a recently released NPD online gaming report. "Xbox 360 is the hands-down leader in online gaming, with 48 percent of all online gamers using Xbox 360 and Xbox Live to connect with friends, family and competitors."

"This study also says that our members take full advantage of the immersive entertainment experiences over Xbox LIVE, logging the most hours of online play per week (7.3 hours/week) - that's more than PC gaming (6.6 hours/week) and our competition."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-psn-and-xbox-live-not-comparable] via 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178881]

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Although I would generally agree that it is quite likely Xbox Live has more people actually playing, I can't help but think Microsoft is basically saying "no, that's wrong. I'm the best, that wasn't fair.".

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
chances are they arnt talking ppl playing games online, just ppl whos xboxs get used and are connected online

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, this is just another salvo in the console wars... but to be honest was it really fair of Sony to turn around and say "the majority of our consoles are connected to the internet" without saying "but people don't use that feature much".

OmegaXzors

Apr 4, 2010
So, basically Microsoft is putting their foot down as a symbol that all their fanboys must charge Sony to talk about how more people play online. Thus, Sony's fanboys will charge back shoving their shiny Blu-ray disks in their face to tell them how inferior their technology is.

Cue another chapter into 2010 for the console wars.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
"What's important to keep in mind is the level of activity over an online service, especially when comparing a no-cost service [PlayStation Network] to a subscription-based service like Xbox Live," said a Microsoft spokesperson.

"When it comes to total entertainment experiences and value, Xbox 360 continues to lead the charge," they said, citing a recently released NPD online gaming report. "Xbox 360 is the hands-down leader in online gaming, with 48 percent of all online gamers using Xbox 360 and Xbox Live to connect with friends, family and competitors."

"This study also says that our members take full advantage of the immersive entertainment experiences over Xbox LIVE, logging the most hours of online play per week (7.3 hours/week) - that's more than PC gaming (6.6 hours/week) and our competition."
Sorry Xbox, I don't think you win this one so cleanly.
First off: nothing has more value than something which is free.
Second: I'd like to know how they know that PC gamers play only 6.6 hours a week.

I mean, god, I've played something like 50 hours in two weeks at some points. Normally when I get a new game.

Apr 28, 2008
A quick check on Steam shows that there are roughly 2,333,680 people online. Not all of those people are playing a game, but I'm willing to bet at least half are. I doubt Xbox live has that much on. And this is a Monday at 2:50 US Eastern time.

But its just a company promoting its product, so whatever.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I don't care either way about Sony or Microsoft, it's the people who decide wich is better, I don't have a PS3, but what I'm seeing about XLive, compared to a pc, it's pretty good, not amazing, but just good.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
From the 1Up story:

"While they didn't mention it, Microsoft is also making a lot of money off of Xbox Live Gold subscriptions, whereas Sony isn't generating any revenue from users connecting to PSN. But Microsoft couldn't refute the fact that a higher percentage of PS3 owners are connected to the Net than Xbox 360 owners (which do have a free option to go online in Xbox Live Silver), so you can chalk this up to Microsoft simply trying to deflect people's attention from something positive about PSN."

They felt the need to mention that.

I personally would love PSN to add more features that better support online play, mainly ubiquitous voice chat. I know they will keep building PSN out, and a lot of it will be done right, I'd just like to see it sooner. That given, we all knew this was the case when the first report came out.

"Methinks the lady doth...", and such.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Ok, it mentions xbox online time and PC online time, but no mention of statistics for PS3 online time, which is what the argument was about...I think Microsoft may have been telling a little lie with this statement.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Danny Ocean said:
Logan Westbrook said:
logging the most hours of online play per week (7.3 hours/week) - that's more than PC gaming (6.6 hours/week) and our competition."
Sorry Xbox, I don't think you win this one so cleanly.
First off: nothing has more value than something which is free.
Second: I'd like to know how they know that PC gamers play only 6.6 hours a week.

I mean, god, I've played something like 50 hours in two weeks at some points. Normally when I get a new game.
Paraphrased from the precis of the report [http://www.npd.com/lps/PDF_SpecialReports/Online_Gaming_2010.pdf]:
"...three years of trended information...based on an online survey of approximately 20,000 respondents."

So, the way they know that is they averaged survey responses over 3 years.

Not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know how they can say stuff like that and not be completely pulling it from their ass.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Irridium said:
A quick check on Steam shows that there are roughly 2,333,680 people online. Not all of those people are playing a game, but I'm willing to bet at least half are. I doubt Xbox live has that much on. And this is a Monday at 2:50 US Eastern time.

Alas, the Steam Community page counts the number "In Game" and the figure is less impressive: about 403,000 right now.

I don't know if it excludes non-Steam games and mods, but still. There's always Battle.net to factor in (soon to incorporate the entire World of Warcraft fanbase, or at least Battle.net 2.0, with promises to implement the new version into Warcraft 3, Starcraft 1 and Diablo et al.)

Apr 28, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Irridium said:

Alas, the Steam Community page counts the number "In Game" and the figure is less impressive: about 403,000 right now.

I don't know if it excludes non-Steam games and mods, but still. There's always Battle.net to factor in (soon to incorporate the entire World of Warcraft fanbase, or at least Battle.net 2.0, with promises to implement the new version into Warcraft 3, Starcraft 1 and Diablo et al.)
That is true.

But that also raises the question of if Microsoft also counted the people who are connected, but not playing a game. Like the people who use the 360 to watch movies on Netflix. You could say that they didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did, in order to promote their brand.