Middle-Aged Gamer Assaults Teen Over Black Ops Beatdown

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
darkstone said:
I don't know if I'm willing to believe this. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the daily mail the U.K. equivalent of trashy american tabloids?
I wouldn't call the Daily Mail "trashy" in the same way as say The Sun or The Daily Star. However, it is a piece of shit. It's a woefully misinformed, scaremongering, laughably right wing (this coming from someone who leans to the right himself) rag that couldn't practice decent journalism to save the lives of all its executives and if you wiped your arse with it you could only improve the content.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Prof. Monkeypox said:
GiantRaven said:
I'd wager it equally pathetic for a 13 year old to throw insults at a grown man through a videogame.
Eh... No. 13-year-olds are allowed to be stupid (which is good, because they generally are). Assaulting a 13-year-old, on the other hand, when you are old enough to know better and should be aware of how bratty 13-year-olds are is just sad.

Plus, assault is always worse than trash talking.
i think the "suffered from mental heath issues" may have had something to do with him not knowing better

Sep 13, 2009
I'm surprised how many people are actually supporting this guy throttling the kid. If you're walking in a park and a kid laughs at you and calls you names do you run after him and beat him up? At least with the kid in the game you can mute them.

Clearly Bradford needs some mental help, annnd to stay away from games for a little while.

Not to say that kids like that aren't annoying. My younger brother has been playing Call of Duty since he was 9, I don't support it at all, even though 17 is a little old to expect people to wait before playing those games, there is a definite line of how early you should be exposed to them.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Everyone knows you should let the Wookie win!

On a serious note, it's a game! No matter what the other person says or does, there is no excuse to hunt someone down and try to choke him death, let alone a kid.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
@Fawxy
Well, i'm 31, and what does it matter ?

This kid got a lesson for his life: Don't be a dick, even when the other guy is not in the same room.

Stupid kids out there: Your actions have consequences !

And btw, the guys at joystiq, summs it up really good:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/30/guy-chokes-a-kid-after-being-made-fun-of-in-black-ops-were//

This whole thing reminds me of Casey Heynes, everybody said he overreacted, and violence is no answer, but silently, everybody congratulated him.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
I know the feeling. About a years ago I was playing Halo. My mom called me for something. When I came back three or four guys started insulting me, mostly by saying I had a bunch of dicks in my mouth and that they couldn't hear me "over all of the dicks." What's sad is that these guys sounded like young adults.

...One moment. I have the perfect image for this.

That man should have controlled his temper better, or this wouldn't have happened!

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
He should have hit the mom while he was at it. Stupid ***** letting her young son play mature videogames + be a giant douchbag.

Kid deserved more than he got. Too bad judges can't relate to the average gamers burning desire to throttle asshole children who play games they shouldn't even be allowed to buy.

REPTILE 0009

Sep 26, 2010
GiantRaven said:
I'd wager it equally pathetic for a 13 year old to throw insults at a grown man through a videogame.
And it's equally pathetic to do nothing but shit-talk COD for no reason, other than it's popular to do so.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Man, it's getting harder and harder to cling to my flimsy view of England being a stern and sensible country.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
What the hell escapist? I thought you where a fairly reasonable bunch. And then I read the responses in this thread, and I realise fox news was right about gamers all along. You really are violent bastards.

If you track down and physically assault a child for having trash-talked you in a video game, you are not both equally wrong, you are just plain wrong and you belong behind bars or a padded cell depending on your level of sanity.

Jesus titty-F"#¤ christ.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
"assault by beating"? That's simultaneously descriptive and completely vague.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Watch the media disregard his previous mental health condition and blame the game for making him crazy.
Would you expect anything else?

Kid had it coming for being an obnoxious little shit, but the man in question went way out of line and his response was disproportional to what the kid did.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Istvan said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
*looks around meaningfully*

Any questions? ;)
Yes! What is the square root of seven?
I'm the root of all evil, not the root of all seven! ;)
Not even...

At any rate, I won't deny that I laughed a little bit when I read the article. Sure the guy had mental health issues and probably should have used a bit more of the grey matter in his skull before resorting to pulling a Homer Simpson, but each and every one of us that has played a FPS online has dealt with some form of trash-talker. Don't go whining to the internet forums when things like this happen, because somewhere in the back of your mind you thought about doing something similar to a trash-talker you encountered somewhere along the way.

In conclusion, sure the guy deserves to be punished accordingly - he apologized for the incident and plead guilty, so it shows he's not a complete douche - but I betcha that kid learned a valuable lesson or two. Maybe, just maybe kindness is not a weakness.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
And this is why I mute everyone... just the sound of a whiny adolescent voice is enough to cause rage, when they think they're tough they need to be put down. It's kind of my whole philosophy with whats wrong in the world.

Everywhere else in nature this would be an expected event.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
geier said:
@Fawxy
Well, i'm 31, and what does it matter ?

This kid got a lesson for his life: Don't be a dick, even when the other guy is not in the same room.

Stupid kids out there: Your actions have consequences !
Pretty much this. A grown man should be more mature but at the same time you have a generation of people that don't realize their words have consequences. They feel so long as they're behind a keyboard (in this case a mic) they can say whatever they want and get away with it. The whole thing is both funny and disturbing.

You can't blame the game it says online interactions not rated I guess that includes potential chokings.