Minecraft Middle-Earth Will Melt Your Mind

Badwolf14

Aug 6, 2010
just because of this.....im getting minecraft and creating my own world based off a book XD

OP: this was really mind blowing, can't wait to see helms deep and gondor and other casual lord of the rings locations

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
I find it really funny how people can say that this was pointless and stupid.

In reality, I think it's just jealousy. People are jealous that those players have done something amazing. The haters know they will never do anything as special as creating an entire world.

God forbid somebody have fun doing what they like. God forbid somebody set a difficult goal and reached it.

With that said, many kudos to the creators of that map. Truly a testament to human determination.

Shoelip

Jul 17, 2008
Now someone needs to do this in Dwarf Fortress. :D

Silva said:
It's funny that people are stunned by this (I was too, but then I had a longer think about it). Yeah, making all this with blocks is amazing, but people really did design this stuff in much more detail in other places.

The movies, the games... giant feats of this magnitude happen in all AAA releases these days, but we almost miss them because of their incredible realism.

Yeah, the fact that this has a lot of scale is a big deal. But it's not like this was all done by one guy, so how is it different from how amazing normal game design is? I mean, yes, there is shorthand used in these designs to speed up the process, but even then I'm sure the detailed work involved is still bigger.

I suppose it has a coolness factor in the sense that it's done by amateurs and still accomplished very well, though. So, I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble. Just trying to open minds to the other amazing stuff we're taking for granted.
Well, can you think of any triple A game that's actually done something even close to this? Oblivion was just a hugely scaled down procedurally generated terrain map world with several tiny walled villages they called cities and wildernesses full of one bland cookie cutter dungeon upon another. Oh and like two or three farms that couldn't have produced enough food for their owners let alone the whole province. That's about as close as any AAA game has gotten to something like this. Daggerfall got closer in scale, but was completely randomly generated and came from an era where people were actually interested in making games with ambitions beyond selling over a million of copies in the first week at sixty dollars a piece and then selling the rest of the game later as separate downloads so I'm not sure how well that applies to the modern day idea of a triple A title.

As far as I know, nothing has come close to this scale while maintaining this level of detail. At least from what I've seen from the video.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
this made me sad because i suck at minecraft... then it made me happy because its fucking Lord of the Rings in Minecraft.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
I don't have minecraft, but... I want it. Badly.

Just because this video... This is the most impressive thing I've seen in a long time.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
$10 says they never give us a download link and this has all just been one huge willy tease.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Valate said:
So I'll say it's pretty huge, but nothing absolutely mind blowing.
Except, y'know, they dug freakin' everything by hand. Every building, the entire geography, everything. If that ain't amazingly impressive I don't know what is. Yeap, I'm in awe.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I rather see people spending such a large amount of time doing something this impressive, than spending that time dicking around which a lot of people probably have.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Shoelip said:
Well, can you think of any triple A game that's actually done something even close to this? Oblivion was just a hugely scaled down procedurally generated terrain map world with several tiny walled villages they called cities and wildernesses full of one bland cookie cutter dungeon upon another. Oh and like two or three farms that couldn't have produced enough food for their owners let alone the whole province. That's about as close as any AAA game has gotten to something like this. Daggerfall got closer in scale, but was completely randomly generated and came from an era where people were actually interested in making games with ambitions beyond selling over a million of copies in the first week at sixty dollars a piece and then selling the rest of the game later as separate downloads so I'm not sure how well that applies to the modern day idea of a triple A title.

As far as I know, nothing has come close to this scale while maintaining this level of detail. At least from what I've seen from the video.
You reduce Oblivion to its world map and "a few dungeons"?

I find that odd, considering that it's also full of instances. You can enter every building and dungeon in the game. Inside every one of those, is objects, special artworks, different architecture (which is even mentioned in lore about different towns - this spot has influence from Skyrim, this building has stairs influenced by Morrowind design, etc).

Then there's the books you find in-game, full of at least a serious book's worth of information and lore that is (so far, in all my understanding of the game) completely consistent with and constantly building upon the world you walk around in, so it feels like part of an even larger planet.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. Think of all the invisible elements going into AAA titles today. Texture design. Concept artworks. 3D modelling, inch by inch, measurement by measurement, of everything unique and different.

I don't believe that detail has to be measured in blocks in order to be notable in an artwork, or in the preparation for a design. There isn't even sound effects and music design in this Minecraft project, and the amount of skill and detail in that alone in a AAA title is often staggering.

In any case, putting the same coloured block down a hundred thousand times does not a skilled design make. The detail isn't what is notable about this version of Middle-Earth - it's the pure dedication from those designing it even IF it takes putting down that same block again and again.

However, that dedication is not unique, and shouldn't be treated as unique on a whim. I think it's important to acknowledge the amazing work done on many AAA titles, for the sake of positivity and open-mindedness.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
How big is that file? That save file must be huge if it takes 12 hours to walk it all.

And I have trouble believing that it's 1:4 ration in between landmarks. Like someone else said, it would take months to walk most of that distance (the entire trilogy took place over a year's time)

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
I would make some snide comments about these guys being virgins for life, but I can only imagine all the kinky dwarf on elf role-playing sex they will be getting from people because of this grand monument to nerdiness.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Please tell me this Map is somewhere online. I need it like I need air to breathe. I can die happy. :D