Minecraft Shifting to Beta With Price Hike

Ir0n Squid

May 17, 2010
Jumplion said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Jumplion said:
Tom Goldman said:
The changes will only affect people that buy Minecraft after December 20, so if you've been meaning to buy the game, now's the time. These "future versions" will be bigger updates to the game and don't include patches, which will be still be free. Persson also announced that Minecraft gift codes will go live soon, so you can give your friends and family a gift that includes zombie pigs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104842-Zombie-Pigs-Trotting-Into-Minecraft]. Is there anything better?
Wait, so does this mean that even if I buy the Beta version of it I'll have to pay extra to get patches? Or does paying for the Beta version allow me to have all future versions for free like the Alpha version?

Either way, I've been meaning to get this game, but I'm reluctant to lose my life over it...
You'll get "Patches" free (such as bug fixes and the like), but major additions such as new modes or extra features that are introduced in later versions and the finished game costs extra. Currently if you buy the Alpha you will get both patches and the finished version for no extra fee.
ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, I'LL BUY IT, I'LL GODDAMN BUY IT, GODDAMNIT!

Ya hear that world? I caved in! I'll buy the goddamn game right before fucking exams! Are you happy now? Are you happy?!

God! To PayPal I go!
Looks like we've converted another one. Bust out the initiate robes Bob! We got a thunker.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Serris said:
yes, because 10 euro? you could be ripped off :O it's the whole price of a movie ticket (and not even a 3D one).
Why would I go to a movie I don't want to watch? And one that I know my friends aren't interested in (so no buzz really, and no one to come see it with me). If I knew it was my kinda [movie|game] then ya I'd jump right in, but again about me not being sure.

I'd love to try it (demo?), but I don't feel like dropping cash on something I might just play once.

Oblig. Lisa Simpson

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?"

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
dathwampeer said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
dathwampeer said:
Still not interested in it.

It's glorified lego.
Are you another one of those people who has just looked at screenshots/ maybe played 2 minutes of the older alpha and decided that there was nothing esle to it? Well you would be mistaken, there is a whole world of game mechanics other than just "Here are blocks, built shit"

There is gathering materials, surviving, tackling the landscape and enimes, exloring the world to find materials and not to mention the various new modes we have coming and have already seen like survival mode.

And anyway, what is wrong with lego? Lego on it's own is epic, add some glorification to that and you already have enough to base a game off.
I've never touched it and I won't be doing. I've watched a load of videos and what some people where making was pretty awesome. But to be fair. If I want to build a 3d model I'm just going to open 3DS max and get busy.

As for the rest of it. I didn't see much of interest. The combining items to get other items seemed pretty interesting, although pretty random at times. But punching trees to get wood and then seeing the leaves still hovering up there with a big chunk missing from the middle... It was kind fo a deal breaker.
Ah, a graphics whore.

point
you

The game is fun. And with it shifting into beta, with its larger focus on content, it's only going to get better. Calling Minecraft 'glorified Legos' would be like calling your 3DS max a 'glorified Etch-a-Sketch.' I mean, what's the point? Nothing you make in that program is real. If you want to make something in 3D why not take up sewing? Build some furniture?

See where I'm going with this?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Well this pretty much sealed the deal on me never buying Minecraft. I was waiting for some new features to be added that might make it more interesting to me than Dwarf Fortress, but if it's already going into beta that's likely not going to be the case.

Good on Notch though. Hopefully the new game he is working on will be something that actually manages to grab my interest.

Scars Unseen said:
Ah, a graphics whore.
To be fair, complaining about blatantly wrong physics in a game that's centers around building stuff could be considered a legitimate issue. Even if it isn't, that doesn't make the person in question a graphics whore, as graphics are completley desperate from physics.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
You mean there might be a reason why I built a floating island base, dug to the bottom of the work in a giant circle, built an underground city, a floating base, and an underwater base?!?! MY LIFE HAS MEANING.

fessferenc

Apr 17, 2009
I sincerely hope they mean what they said about updates coming out less frequently and having more polish, 'cause there was a little stretch there where little updates were coming out every other day and the modders couldn't keep up.

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
Should I be embarrassed to say that this is what finally made me actually buy the game?

If anyone is wondering it's about $13 or $14 in AUD.

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
theriddlen said:
15 euro is 60 pln (my country's currency). 60 pln is price of most games released in cheaper editons. 100 pln is the usual price for brand new games.

The price is too high.
No wonder all you Eastern Bloc types come over here and build houses then.
The current price, 10?, is about the price I pay for a pint of beer.

Feb 11, 2009
Guest_Star said:
Thank you for enlightening us with your ethnocentrism :)

On a side-note: where do you buy your beer? Living in city with one of the most expensive bars and clubs, I have to work pretty hard to find a place with a pint of beer faring for more than 7,5 Euro. Most good pubs don't go over the equivalent of 5 Euro.

---
Then, I do think that 10? is ridiculously cheap and whoever thinks that is expensive should look at the ...
market prices vs. 10?
+
any AAA game quality vs. the Minecraft quality

... before saying it is expensive. Really. Have some shame people.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I'm pretty sure he said that once Minecraft's MP was as good as SP, it'd move into Beta. So this news could come with a hidden secret thats just as exciting!

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
wsmieszek said:
Guest_Star said:
Thank you for enlightening us with your ethnocentrism :)
You're welcome.

wsmieszek said:
On a side-note: where do you buy your beer? Living in city with one of the most expensive bars and clubs, I have to work pretty hard to find a place with a pint of beer faring for more than 7,5 Euro. Most good pubs don't go over the equivalent of 5 Euro.
Number one! [http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/oslo--the-worlds-most-expensive-city-2155277.html]
Beer prices are usually around 8-12 ? for the swill that pass as pilsner over here, depending on perceived hipness of clubs.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Vohn_exel said:
I'm pretty sure he said that once Minecraft's MP was as good as SP, it'd move into Beta. So this news could come with a hidden secret thats just as exciting!
Nah, just when Survival Multiplayer was in. Nothing about multiplayer being "as good" as singleplayer.

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
liger03 said:
Meh, I don't find it to be a "price hike" as much as a sale ending.

And from my understanding, the full game is free for alpha players (who mostly were there to help with bugfixes), not for the beta players (that just rate and review the content in general as its added). I'm probably wrong just because i'm a moron like that, but that's what my brain read off the computer screen.

But to be honest, minecraft is AWESOME AS ALL HELL. Instead of implementing no fast travel system and make exploration tedious or employing the lazy button-press fast travel that makes no sense (if I can't click to New York on Christmas, why should he?), they implement something that makes a bit of sense (a "scale universe" in which one step equates roughly to eight in the real world).

Also, creepers. The only monster in a videogame that SHOULD look like a badly-made phallic reptile thingy, but instead terrifies the SHIT out of me. I have found myself actually shrinking back into my chair in the ridiculous hope that that will make me far enough away that it doesn't explode and wreck my shit. That's terror, Doom 3, which is not some big demony thingy that pops out of walls every 10 seconds.
The creeper is the most terrifying thing ever. I swear every time I am holding some rare find they are behind me. Hissing.

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
wildpeaks said:
C95J said:
mindlesspuppet said:
There are people who still don't own Minecraft?
don't worry, my men will soon take care of them.
*looks around nervously and setups claymores near the entry points*

But seriously, I still don't get it: it's a sandbox, not a game ?
It's a game. More so than most other games. Play it. It's like losing your virginity. No amount of watching it done will prepare you for what you will experience yourself.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
dathwampeer said:
No. Because you're talking out of your ass.

What I described would be an engine whore or something. Big parts of the game play like the physics and the tools don't falll under graphics. I'm certainly not a graphics whore.

3DS max (along with maya) is the most powerful 3D tool out there. Good luck importing sewing or some furniture into a game.
seeing the leaves still hovering up there with a big chunk missing from the middle... It was kind fo a deal breaker.
Big parts of the game play like the physics and the tools don't falll under graphics
seeing the leaves still hovering
Big parts of the game play
game play
See the mismatch here? Just because your complaint involves physics does not mean that it is not related to the visual representation of the game, i.e., graphics. Unless you want me to believe that falling leaves would somehow improve the game such as to elevate it from a "deal breaker" to a "must have." And for the punching trees part of the complaint... sorry, I'm just not seeing it as an immersion breaker in a world made out of identically sized blocks. Heck, one of the most well known and popular games of console history involves a man who jumps on turtles and punches through brick walls. And he does it in one hit, unlike that Minecraft pansy.

As for that last comment... once again, you missed the point. I don't think poorly of programs like 3DS max, and I have respect for those who have mastered them. I'm just saying that anything can be dismissed with a one liner by those who haven't experienced it. An ignorant person could just have easily taken it further and said that sewing and cabinetry are also pointless due to the existence of Wal-Mart.