Minecraft: Video Game Violence's Latest Victim

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
Gunner 51 said:
Minecraft?!?! Minecraft?!?!?
I should be shocked that an out of touch judge is blaming my preferred media - but I'm not. But I am rather shocked he cited Minecraft (of ALL games!)
It seems that the kid's father and the media are blaming Minecraft, not the judge.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
He is a stupid, immoral, little shit who pinned the blame on a video game only to attempt to escape justice (this is a 9-year old, afterall). He is nothing more than that, he will be nothing more than that.

Sorry if I got a ltitle rant-y, I just hate people like this.

That, and.. his parents let their 9-year old son obtain a steak knife and PISTOL. The blame's on them too.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Legion said:
Forobryt said:
I'd be more worried as to how a 9 year old can have a freaking sledge hammer on him, plus other things, and actually be able to act like normal. Did his parents not notice him walking a bit weird in the morning?
Of course not, he had them stored in his hotbar, and you can't see those things until you equip them.

He got the idea from Minecraft.
Wish I could get ideas like that from my games. Having a quick save option would be fantastic.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
Waaaaiiit... Okay, blaah de blaah, everyone involved in this story is an idiot, sure. But let's focus in on the parents, shall we? Ignoring the dumbass comments about Minecraft, I do believe it is safe to say these are some of the worst people ever to have existed. Why? Because they let their kid have access to a fucking GUN.

Why was he able to bring an ACTUAL FUCKING GUN INTO SCHOOL?

If time travel is ever invented, the first thing to be done is going back in time and sterilizing every one of the kid's great-grandparents to ensure these people are never born, because as I might remind you,

[HEADING=2]UNDER THEIR SUPERVISION, A FUCKING NINE YEAR OLD WAS ABLE TO BRING A REAL FUCKING GUN INTO SCHOOL![/HEADING]

I know other people have mentioned it, but buttered up Jesus on a pogo stick, that is not something that should happen! I don't care if the kid was playing fucking General Custer's Revenge (actually that would be quite worrying), HE STILL SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS A GUN! And they have the balls to blame Minecraft? RAAAAAAAAAAHH INTERNET RAGE!!!

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Really not much to say about this one... It's easy to see that NOTHING makes sense about this except that stupid runs in the family.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
The parent is to blame for this. Allowing the child access to a gun and ammunition? Very negligent. Throwing a video game under the bus is a cheap maneuver, though not an unexpected one in this day and age.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
freaper said:
Specter Von Baren said:
Well... on the brightside, this introduced me to this awesome gif I found on the Kotaku article.

Angel Beats was actually pretty darn good. I recommend it for sure.

OT: Oh, right, I'm meant to say something about the topic...
Angel Beats was awesome. It's a far better topic of conversation than some journalists blaming violence in games for violence in real life; that's for sure.

OT: While I'm thinking japanese, I'm surprised nobody ever complains about the SMT games. In Persona 3 the main characters have to shoot themselves in the head to attack- yet nobody cries 'suicide!'. In Nocturne, one of the endings involves teaming up with the angel of darkness to destroy the universe and start the final battle against god. And yet nobody bats an eye. No, it's Minecraft which corrupts our children.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
sky14kemea said:
Oh yeah, I totally remember the time I met up with Johnny the NPC in Minecraft and we had to shoot our way through the local shopping district in order to obtain better materials for our mining gear.

No. Nooooo. I'm sorry but that's just loopy. That's like saying Barbie dolls cause cannibalism. (I've seen some weird shit, guys.)

I actually had the urge to hit my head on the desk when I read that. It boggles my mind. I'm laughing and crying at the same time. I'm lying craughing.

I wanna hear more about these cannibalistic barbies

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Risingblade said:
sky14kemea said:
Oh yeah, I totally remember the time I met up with Johnny the NPC in Minecraft and we had to shoot our way through the local shopping district in order to obtain better materials for our mining gear.

No. Nooooo. I'm sorry but that's just loopy. That's like saying Barbie dolls cause cannibalism. (I've seen some weird shit, guys.)

I actually had the urge to hit my head on the desk when I read that. It boggles my mind. I'm laughing and crying at the same time. I'm lying craughing.

Ladies and gentlemen: proof that conversations in real life (or the interwebs) work just like the Bioware wheel.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
MCerberus said:
Risingblade said:
Ladies and gentlemen: proof that conversations in real life (or the interwebs) work just like the Bioware wheel.
But enough about that. What do think about the internet?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Fractral said:
freaper said:
Specter Von Baren said:
Well... on the brightside, this introduced me to this awesome gif I found on the Kotaku article.

Angel Beats was actually pretty darn good. I recommend it for sure.

OT: Oh, right, I'm meant to say something about the topic...
Angel Beats was awesome. It's a far better topic of conversation than some journalists blaming violence in games for violence in real life; that's for sure.

OT: While I'm thinking japanese, I'm surprised nobody ever complains about the SMT games. In Persona 3 the main characters have to shoot themselves in the head to attack- yet nobody cries 'suicide!'. In Nocturne, one of the endings involves teaming up with the angel of darkness to destroy the universe and start the final battle against god. And yet nobody bats an eye. No, it's Minecraft which corrupts our children.
Ease of access I suspect. The Shin Megami Tensei games are notoriously hard and they also don't appeal to to the main demographic of gaming right now. So there's both less chance of people playing them and less chance of them ending up in the public eye. Or at least that's my theory.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Cid SilverWing said:
Hoping Notch comes out with a statement to criticize the fuck out of this old shithead.

Markus PerssonVerified account ‏@notch

In case any reporters are following me on twitter and are, like, all confused; games don't cause violence. (also, no guns in minecraft)

Oh notch ;)

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Minecraft has guns and hammers? News to me.

Seriously, fuck this boys Dad. He's trying to deflect his own awful parenting onto something, anything else.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Wait... WTF!!?

*sigh*

Stop the world I wanna get off and then kick certain people in the head.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
I'll tell you what is threatening the youth of today and the future of tomorrow, and it is not Minecraft. It is not GTAV, nor World of Warcraft. It IS unplugged parents.

Parents who go about their day without so much as finding out what their child is up to or what they are into besides blanket statements like "my child loves video games" or "they just love their rock and roll" and the instant that an incident happens, the first thing the parent goes to blame isn't themselves, oh no, its the last thing they believe they knew about their child.

"oh no! I never thought they were capable of this (incident), it must have been [insert rock and roll/video games/other nonsense] that caused this entire mess. I must run out immediately to tell everyone that it WASN'T my fault!"

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
It seems to me that the father is experiencing denial, seeing as all the anti-minecraft comments are coming from him.

That being said, the article itself fails to make any effort to provide any correctional information.

TimtheBigDaddy

Nov 29, 2010
Problems with what the father said: There are no hammers in Minecraft, or Knives (Unless you count swords) and there are no guns whatsoever in the game.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
a) There was one gun, but the news quote say guns, why does the media feel the need to blow everything out of proportion. Also, I hate everyone who thinks this has more to do with minecraft than the dumbass parents.

cowman2000

Nov 29, 2008
Ok this is getting fucking ridiculous. First of all, maybe it should be the father that should be punished, not the kid, for not properly storing a fucking firearm. Something that is design to kill people. If your nine year old can get a hand of the weapon, you are not a good parent. Second of all, you can not want your kids to play Minecraft all you want. If you think that the game is having a negative impact of your child, you should probably step in, and make it so that your son can't play it. Minecraft is a violent game, no one can deny it. The violence is tame, but it still is violent, and if you don't want your son to be exposed to violence, you step in. You don't blame the game, you blame you being a piss poor fucking parent.
This reminds me of the Sandy Hook shooting when the media tried to blame Dynasty Warriors for the shooting. FUCKING DYNASTY WARRIORS! School children died, teachers got killed, and you try to blame it on something that doesn't even make sense? Instead of reporting actual news, and telling actual stories about the event, they try to blame it on everything and anything, especially video games.
The main point I'm trying to say is, COMMON SENSE IS KEY!