Miracle of Sound: Crucible (Mass Effect 3)

Fapmaster5000

May 13, 2011
That was an amazing piece of music! Seriously epic.

I only had one issue, but I think it resolved itself. When I finished the track, it was building, building, building - and then abruptly cut in the middle of a phrase, and I felt a little bit of a slap, musically. My first reaction was, "What the hell, he didn't finish the- oh, that is GENIUS!"

So, musically, I'd say 9/10. Trolling 10/10. Bravo, sir.

Fapmaster5000

May 13, 2011
Actually, let my clarify on that "ending was a little abrupt" comment:

If I send you cupcakes with various song progressions on them, will you extend the ending to include chord resolution? :p

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Fapmaster5000 said:

I only had one issue, but I think it resolved itself. When I finished the track, it was building, building, building - and then abruptly cut in the middle of a phrase, and I felt a little bit of a slap, musically. My first reaction was, "What the hell, he didn't finish the- oh, that is GENIUS!"

Sometimes when I put little audio gags like that into the music people don't get it - it's nice to see this time that most people understand and appreciate it :)

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Honestly that was a pretty kick ass piece of music. I feels a lot like you captured the tone of the series and the soundtrack perfectly while making it your own. Nice work.

May 17, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Fapmaster5000 said:

Sometimes when I put little audio gags like that into the music people don't get it - it's nice to see this time that most people understand and appreciate it :)
Everyone send him chocolate bars with a bit cut off them to get him to properly finish the song.

Great song.

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
Please do NOT let this be your only instrumental piece! This is truly epic, and I can't wait to get it on iTunes.

Timmibal

Nov 8, 2010
I can't have been the only one expecting a cut to yakkety sax at the end...

That was some brilliant work! I thought after 'Normandy' you were going to be working with the ME team on extras or something, did that not turn out?

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
I don't know why, but it reminds me of Inception OST - Time, Still Alive from Mirror's Edge and Screamer from World of Goo. Any idea why? Except being listen over and over for days? ;)

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
I have to say gavin, very few songs, even yours, ever made me feel anything but this one mate i felt the entire game from the escape from earth to assembly of all races and to the ending, that is one of the best songs in history it's up there with freebird and I dare anyone to contest that.

GAVIN > LYNYRD SKYNYRD COME AT ME BROS

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
Not so sure about the end. It went completely against the characteristics that made the rest of it great in the first place. (I actually loved the ending of this song because.. yeah, you know)

Also, props to Justin Clouse for, yet again, another perfect video to go right along seamlessly with this fine exhibit of the miracle of sound.

Alex the Pally

May 29, 2008
I don't know Gav... it might be just me, but it sounds closer to something related to Battlefield 3 than Mass Effect 3. It's still a great piece, don't get me wrong, but something just doesn't click connection-wise.

Or maybe I'm just an imbecile.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Nice piece. Watched/listened on Friday, went to bandcamp Saturday. I agree that there's nothing in this that ties it specifically to Mass Effect (aside from the video footage).

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
Wow, this just topped the Commander Shepard song I think. Fantastic bit of work, fits perfectly with not just the game, but the entire series.

Speaking of which, wasn't there chatter doing the rounds before ME3 came out that you were talking with BioWare about putting the Shepard song into the game? Was that just a rumour? Because I was slightly disappointed to not hear it in Shepard's cabin or in the credits. :S

EDIT: On further listening, realised this song has a certain air of "Human Revolution" about it. Evokes mental pictures of Sarif Industries and the like. Da, is good.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
You know, I've pretty much steered clear of most ME3-related stuff after the release. Because it's always the same tired old crying, as I expected it to be.

Gavin Dunne...allow me to say just this, as a fellow musician and ME fan - it takes a great soul to put something as completely polar-opposite to all of that - something like this - out during these times.

I *liked* the Commander Shepard song of yours, because it was catchy as hell, funny and obviously - it was about Mass Effect.

But I *love* this song of yours, because for me - this one is more than just 'about Mass Effect'. This song *is* Mass Effect. Both the good and the bad.

And like Mass Effect - I love it. :)

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
Alex the Pally said:
I don't know Gav... it might be just me, but it sounds closer to something related to Battlefield 3 than Mass Effect 3. It's still a great piece, don't get me wrong, but something just doesn't click connection-wise.

Or maybe I'm just an imbecile.
praetor_alpha said:
Nice piece. Watched/listened on Friday, went to bandcamp Saturday. I agree that there's nothing in this that ties it specifically to Mass Effect (aside from the video footage).
Personally, I think it's perfect for Mass Effect. The piano notes correlate with the rare melancholy moods in the game. The hardcore cool synthesized sounds that sound like the reapers, and the the organ-like sound gives you a sense of urgency. Then come the quieter parts where less is going on and still progress toward the end, which is just like Mass Effect's genre. Then to top it off, the "awesome" ending.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Jynthor said:
Didn't really remind me of Mass Effect but it was definitely a great song.
What? The BWAAAAAAH didn't get you?

Anyway Gavin you should do more instrumentals! This was awesome! Not that there's anything wrong with your singing...