Misanthropes: I don't get you.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
TonyCapa said:
I'm a misantrope. I hate people because for the most part they're stupid, greedy, backstabbing and annoying. I approached life seeing it differently, it didn't work, now I approach it with the above philosophy. Don't get me wrong, life it...awesome...sometimes but people suck.
There's a difference between being a misanthrope, and saying "people suck sometimes".

You can love humanity, and still understand that human nature causes people to act stupidly sometimes.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
retyopy said:
Vrach said:
It's not necessarily a matter of choice, some people are just built that way. Don't get me wrong, you can force yourself to be different (fuck knows I do that 24/7, I'm not sure anymore if deep down I'm a misanthrope or an absolute optimist), but... the problem is that the more positive outlook you force yourself to have on life, the more miserable you are when someone/something proves to you you were an idiot to expect more from them/it.

Lowering expectations - works here AND on dates! (cookie for reference)

DCboy17 said:
I hate you.
<3. Hope you don't get a low content post warning, that was awesome :p
I don't think you can get a low content warning for 3 words.
I've seen it happen plenty of times. If it's a prolonged quote-conversation it's ok, but as a first reply and such they usually get warned/suspended.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
I don't hate people, I just don't trust anyone. Even as a little kid, I'd turn the TV off if anyone came into the room, regardless of what I was watching. I have never ever divulged any personal problems to anyone. I don't doubt peoples' abilities and good will, I just apparently don't want anyone to know about me. And it's not like a deppressed person can just go "hey this sucks, lets be happy woo!", because that is simply not happening. You can't force yourself to be happy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh...there is alot of humanity to dislike and all, but it seems to have simply gotten trendy to be a misanthrope.

It's odd (speaking solely from my own experience), the people that tend to do most of the complaining seem to be the ones that have little or no reason to. You can cite all the terrible things people do to each other, but it's generally not the people they've happened to that hate humanity. Hate injustice, yes, hate the people responsible, yes, but not humanity as a whole.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:
It is based around a core principle: humanity sucks and is full of total arseholes who want nothing more than step on you to get what they want like the selfish pricks they all are, or they just want to hurt you for no reason.

It sounds dumb but when you are one it all makes perfect sense. I know, I used to be one.
so, I'm a selfish prick that's a complete asshole?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
retyopy said:
ReservoirAngel said:
It is based around a core principle: humanity sucks and is full of total arseholes who want nothing more than step on you to get what they want like the selfish pricks they all are, or they just want to hurt you for no reason.

It sounds dumb but when you are one it all makes perfect sense. I know, I used to be one.
Used to? Explain. Please?
Let's just say that when you're in a confused, vulnerable point of your life and you get manipulated for several months by someone you think really likes you, only to get jumped and beaten into unconsciousness and seriously injured by that someone and his friends without most of them facing any real kind of punishment, you don't exactly have the best outlook on the world for a long time afterwards.

So I spent about... oh, it must have been the better part of about 5 years, incredibly pissed off with the world. Not depressed, I wasn't upset. I was just pissed off with and full of hatred for the world and 99.9% of humanity.

Luckily somewhat recently one of the people in that 0.01% managed to help me out of that dark mentality. I still don't trust most people but I don't hate everyone any more. I've gone from a misanthrope to just a pessimist. Bit of nihilist too but that's just logical as a standpoint and not really relevant to anything else.

zehydra said:
ReservoirAngel said:

so, I'm a selfish prick that's a complete asshole?
If you'd met me a few years ago I would have said yes. Hell I'd have answered yes if almost anyone asked me that, nothing personal. Just how I thought for a long time.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm with you, OP. I don't get hating on humanity. You can hate on certain people but hating the entire race is just foolish. To me, having that philosophy will only make you miserable, all the people you "hate" don't know you and probably don't care about you hating them.
Until a misanthrope gets their hands on a nuke, the constant complaining about the evils of humanity is just tiring.

Note: I don't love everyone and I'm very much aware that there are assholes out there worthy of pure contempt, but I think these people are in the minority, not the default for humanity and it certainly doesn't warrant hating everyone and thinking the planet would be better off if everyone was gone.

Verp

Jul 1, 2009
I used to be an obnoxious misanthrope so I do sort of get misanthropes even though I don't share their sentiments anymore. I don't hate anybody, but I do consider it to be a pity that more people aren't fascinated with the variety and complexity of human life. People call me a pessimist because I acknowledge the brutality going on all around the world and the often selfish ulterior motivations of many who seek to end them (including me), but that's just me marveling how nature works before going on to discuss what we can do to enable more of us to live happily.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Erm, Life is nicer if you have a positive outlook? Knowing something would be nicer or easier doesn't make you compelled to run about the place wearing a shit eating grin. Seeing an optimist is like watching someone with a lobotomy. It's great that they look so happy, but they're really gross and you wouldn't want to trade places.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
retyopy said:
Oh, sure, on a higher level, I do. Humans suck, life is pain, etc. But on a more practical level, you just make no sense to me, and heres why: Life is so much nicer if you have a positive outlook! Just go out into the world, be a nice person, and do something fun. What's the point of hating humanity? Wheres that going to get you?

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!
Already tried this and have found people just like to betray, steal, be complete assholes simply because they can. And when something is done, the good people always wind up suffering. I'm a big misanthrope, going in and out of depression for a little over a decade. Just when I think I can start feeling happy again life kicks me in the balls and I feel shittier than before. It's healthier to just be negative and have a steady bitterness towards everything, one more kick in the balls and something is gonna give.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I don't get either extreme tbh. People who are dedicated to seeing the worst in every single person they meet and couldn't look on the bright side to save their lives really annoy me, but then so do their opposite numbers who act like the world is full of nothing but fluffy kittens and are always on the brink of bursting into song.

I like normal people, people who realise that there is a bright side, but who are also aware that life sucks sometimes and it's ok to feel sad or angry about that.

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
Well one can hardly change his feelings in such a trivial manner as you suggest...

EDIT: FIRST POST YEAH!

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I don't have the energy for misanthropy. Hating 7 billion people? That's just a touch beyond my emotional capabilities.

For the most part though 'Misanthropes' are just whiny, angsty teenagers (like my self), who think that humanity is terrible for whatever stupid reason they've decided upon without actually experiencing the world.

I instead opt for loving the people I can love, and ignoring the people I can't. It seems to work on most days. Occasionally though.... CRAAAAAAAAAWLLIIING IIIIN MY SKIIIIIIIIIINNN!

Teenage love is cruel and harsh, and it's only going to get worse. I look forward to the challenge.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
retyopy said:
Oh, sure, on a higher level, I do. Humans suck, life is pain, etc. But on a more practical level, you just make no sense to me, and heres why: Life is so much nicer if you have a positive outlook! Just go out into the world, be a nice person, and do something fun. What's the point of hating humanity? Wheres that going to get you?

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!
It doesnt get me anywhere, but neither does loving it. There is a looooooooong list of stuff I'm not happy with in the world in general. And my first reaction when I die if I can see my creator would be to punch him in the mouth for doing such a fucking poor job.

That said, I have a positive outlook on most stuff, or at least look at it with an appropriate amount of black humor.

My life philosophy can be summarized more or less like this:

When stuff makes you either want to laugh or cry, try laughing. Its funner. Yes. I know its not spelled that way.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
retyopy said:

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!
There was a rather similar thread to this a little while back and I'll say here what I said there:

'I think people here really need to decipher the difference between misnathropes and the misanthropic. I'm the latter, I'm wary of people I don't know and am prone to bouts of animosity and skepticism towards the greater percentage of the general populace, but that doesn't mean that I despise all of humanity and think them destitute of any altruistic intent. At any rate, I treat people as they come, they are individuals after all.'

I think a lot of the people here are also misanthropic and or iconoclasts rather than full blown misanthropes who bear a seething hatred for all they encounter. Your post also seems to be conflating pessimissm with misanthropy.

krasus7

May 28, 2011
Oddly enough, I think I'm only misanthropic online. In real life, I honestly could care less for people. If your good, then woot, if your bad, then whatever. When playing online games, I really don't like playing with other people unless I know them. (I tend to make friends through other friends, I can't really explain it either.) I do, however, find the irony that I prefer to play online games by myself very funny. :p

Besides, I'm just waiting for 2012 to happen where humanity will be transformed into ponies.
(sorry, could resist a pony joke :p)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
No_Remainders said:
retyopy said:

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!
I swear I saw this exact thread about a week ago...

Ok, it's not really exactly the same, but still...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.313619-You-know-what-I-hate-Misanthropes

I'm not really a misanthrope. I'm about the closest thing one can be to a misanthrope without actually hating people. I just don't trust them. Anyone walks up to me and asks me about myself, I'll answer vaguely, because I don't know who the fuck they are, and I don't know why they're talking to me.

Sure, some people out there are perfectly nice, it's just that others are douchebags who have ulterior motives, and those people can fuck off.
This is me too. I don't trust people for several good reasons.

OK, OP, what you need to understand that being a misanthrope is NOT a choice. We have had bad experiences with people, so many it overshadows the good experiences. We do not like people because we think they're up to something malicious.

Also you have not understood it. Misanthropes hate people. Emos hate life. Emos going around hating people and life are angsty kids fresh out of a relationship that ended badly.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Techno Squidgy said:
I don't have the energy for misanthropy. Hating 7 billion people? That's just a touch beyond my emotional capabilities.

For the most part though 'Misanthropes' are just whiny, angsty teenagers (like my self), who think that humanity is terrible for whatever stupid reason they've decided upon without actually experiencing the world.

I instead opt for loving the people I can love, and ignoring the people I can't. It seems to work on most days. Occasionally though.... CRAAAAAAAAAWLLIIING IIIIN MY SKIIIIIIIIIINNN!

Teenage love is cruel and harsh, and it's only going to get worse. I look forward to the challenge.
Basically what this guy said.

No..

EVERYTHING this guy said!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
TonyCapa said:
I'm a misanthrope. I hate people because for the most part they're stupid, greedy, backstabbing and annoying. I approached life seeing it differently, it didn't work, now I approach it with the above philosophy. Don't get me wrong, life it...awesome...sometimes but people suck.
Does that include you? I'm not trying to be clever, I'm just genuinely curious if you think of yourself as one of the few good ones.