Miscellaneous Fallout 4 Questions.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
IceForce said:
I should probably have given it some nifty name by now...
I named mine "Whisper".

Not exactly my best effort (I'm much more proud of my knuckledusters which I named "First Resort"), but it's better than looking at "Advanced Sharpshooter's Tactical Silenced 10mm Pistol".

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
IceForce said:
I should probably have given it some nifty name by now...
I named mine "Whisper".

Not exactly my best effort (I'm much more proud of my knuckledusters which I named "First Resort"), but it's better than looking at "Advanced Sharpshooter's Tactical Silenced 10mm Pistol".
Heh, I named mine different names, but started them all with A-*whatever name I gave them* just so they would always be at the top of my weapon list. I got tired of scrolling through looking for them amidst piles of pipe guns.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
pookie101 said:
i would assume thats in the GECK construction kit they made the game with rather than the builder
Well crap.

Different question: This might seem simple but if you trade with your settlers and equip them with long range weapons, would they be able to snipe enemies attacking the settlements? Because I just thought of building some sniper towers, and assigning my town guards up there, but giving them some crazy good sniper rifles while I'm at it. Is this at all practical? Or do they just use whatever default weapon they've been assigned and that's it?
took me a while to work out you cant actually just dump gear into their inventory and expect them to use it you have to individually equip each item for them. bit fiddly when you have a lot of people but it works.

it would be nice if they fixed settlement management up a bit. its a pain in the ass trying to figure out who is new to a settlement not to mention who is assigned to what job alot of the time. a simple ... NEW SETTLER title and SETTLER (Farmer) would solve so many issues

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
pookie101 said:
Happyninja42 said:
pookie101 said:
i would assume thats in the GECK construction kit they made the game with rather than the builder
Well crap.

Different question: This might seem simple but if you trade with your settlers and equip them with long range weapons, would they be able to snipe enemies attacking the settlements? Because I just thought of building some sniper towers, and assigning my town guards up there, but giving them some crazy good sniper rifles while I'm at it. Is this at all practical? Or do they just use whatever default weapon they've been assigned and that's it?
took me a while to work out you cant actually just dump gear into their inventory and expect them to use it you have to individually equip each item for them. bit fiddly when you have a lot of people but it works.

it would be nice if they fixed settlement management up a bit. its a pain in the ass trying to figure out who is new to a settlement not to mention who is assigned to what job alot of the time. a simple ... NEW SETTLER title and SETTLER (Farmer) would solve so many issues
How do you equip it for them? I just get the option to take it away from them when I click it. Am I missing a function button or something to equip it? Pleeease tell me this means I can equip Dogmeat with the Dog Armor I've found?!?! xD

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Heh, I named mine different names, but started them all with A-*whatever name I gave them* just so they would always be at the top of my weapon list. I got tired of scrolling through looking for them amidst piles of pipe guns.
Put the ammo type at the beginning of their name. For my Sniper Rifle, "Natural Causes", I put .50 in front of it.

This way they're always at the top of the list.

Also, Zhukov and I are playing this game in hilariously identical fashion.

RedRockRun said:
Can junk stored at one settlement be accessed between others?
Yes, if you set up supply routes.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
pookie101 said:
Happyninja42 said:
pookie101 said:
Well crap.

How do you equip it for them? I just get the option to take it away from them when I click it. Am I missing a function button or something to equip it? Pleeease tell me this means I can equip Dogmeat with the Dog Armor I've found?!?! xD
tempted to be evil and not tell you but Y on Xbox One, Triangle on PS4, and T on PC for each item
careful on the pc though, R is "take everything from the persons inventory" which is a pain in the ass when you accidentally press it.

as for dog meat, he can wear: dog armour, dog collars, bandanas and wielding goggles and yes he is adorable with wielding goggles

RedRockRun said:
Can junk stored at one settlement be accessed between others?
as someone mentioned you have to set up a supply route, which you first of all need the "local leader" perk CHA level 6 and need to select someone in build mode in your settlement. check the bottom of the pop up screen for "supply route" and then select the settlement.

something handy.. the instant you do that you get access to both settlements workstation supplies so you dont have to wait for them to finish the trip

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
undeadsuitor said:
Casual Shinji said:
You can even gave him apparel. Mine's wearing goggles, a muzzle, armor, and a neckerchief -- He looks like a total nerd.
dressing up dogmeat in cute bandanas and goggles is the only reason I keep him around. hes so gosh darn cute

that and giving him teddy bears to play with
I completely agree that dogmeat with goggles is adorable...as far as the teddy bear thing goes, do you drop it from your inventory or equip him with it? That is amazing either way.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
m00se said:
undeadsuitor said:
Casual Shinji said:
You can even gave him apparel. Mine's wearing goggles, a muzzle, armor, and a neckerchief -- He looks like a total nerd.
dressing up dogmeat in cute bandanas and goggles is the only reason I keep him around. hes so gosh darn cute

I completely agree that dogmeat with goggles is adorable...as far as the teddy bear thing goes, do you drop it from your inventory or equip him with it? That is amazing either way.
Dogmeat will sometimes just start tossing a teddy bear around. Not sure if he only does this if he has one in his inventory or not? I gather up so much Junk loot and stuff on him that I haven't actually tested it or not. I know for a fact I've never "equipped" Dogmeat with a teddy bear, but he has whipped one out and started chewing on it playfully of his own accord. Try giving him a teddy bear in his loot and see if that triggers it.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Zhukov said:
Happyninja42 said:
Zhukov said:
Interesting that you are being spotted. It might be that you don't have Shadowed/Muffled armor on? I'm at...i think 3, maybe 4 ranks in the Stealth perk, and that plus my gear has it where enemies will literally bump into me and I will still only be in caution.
Nah, I'm running a full set of shadowed and muffled armour (leather arms and metal legs).

I'm playing on max difficulty though. That might be a factor, although it doesn't mention it in the settings. Says it just affects damage values and health recovery time.
I've noticed enemies being more aware on survival difficulty in general, even when not being stealthy, I can sort of sneak in my power armor if they aren't looking at me, but they'll immediately notice me on survival. Of course companions make this hard to test as I can never tell if they are noticing me or my companion, doesn't help that I've been putting Curie in power armor lately, so that probably isnt helping her stealth at all.

As a tip for people having problems with settlements being invaded, I noticed my number of successful defenses without me present shot up when I started giving my settlers better weapons. Unlike companions who need ammo to use any weapon other than their default, settlers only need a couple rounds for whatever they are using in their inventory and then they can fire as much as they want, I have both sanctuary and the castle being protected by guards in ballistic weave military fatigues giving them 110 DR or so, and toting around miniguns and plasma weapons. Just don't give them explosives, they tend to blow each other up a lot, or blow me up if I come to help defend.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
m00se said:
undeadsuitor said:

Just stick it in his inventory and he'll play with it periodically.

That's not all, though. It seems that each companion has their own 'special item' that they will use periodically if you give them one. (Has no effect on anything though, it's purely cosmetic.) For instance, if you give Valentine a screwdriver he will pull it out and tinker with himself using it, every so often.

Now I'm kinda wondering what Piper's special item is... A lighter perhaps? Although she seems to strike up her smokes with no trouble already, so that can't be it...

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I read somewhere that you can force power armor wearing enemies to exit their power armor (thereby allowing you to take it without having to destroy the power armor 'frame') simply by pickpocketing their fusion core. Once you pickpocket that, they supposedly step out of their armor.

I haven't managed to pull this off though, try as I might. Anyone willing to give it a try? (I don't have any perks in pickpocketing, so that's probably my issue.)

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
IceForce said:
I read somewhere that you can force power armor wearing enemies to exit their power armor (thereby allowing you to take it without having to destroy the power armor 'frame') simply by pickpocketing their fusion core. Once you pickpocket that, they supposedly step out of their armor.

I haven't managed to pull this off though, try as I might. Anyone willing to give it a try? (I don't have any perks in pickpocketing, so that's probably my issue.)
This [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgOSUav8Q70] person starts by intimidating the enemy, but once they pickpocket the fusion core the raider steps out of the power armor.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Elfgore said:
Question for ya'll. Has everyone else had a tough time finding duct tape and other adhesive stuff? The game and several other players seem to make it sound like this shit is rare as hell. Yet I'm drowning in all of the wonderglue and duct tape I've found.
If you grow corn, you can make your own adhesive. I found a few stalks growing in some super mutant town out east. Now I am harvesting and planting so I can make a small countries worth of the stuff. I don't anticipate having supply problems.

OT; I dismissed Dogmeat in Sanctuary. He got in my way when I tried to walk through doors, and when I want to retreat to reload and use a stim pack, yep, he was blocking the door then too. I think he is a secret enemy agent.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
IceForce said:

You can. I've done it a couple of times now. Pretty funny, actually.

Had to save scum the hell out of it though due to also not having any tier of the pickpocketing perk. Really low chances.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
IceForce said:

Yes, I had to it when Carla stole one of mine Power Armor. Goddamit Carla. I also robbed her ammunition and her clothing. No one steal something of mine and doesn't pay a price. No one.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Okay, cheers everyone. I'm going to give it another go, 'cause it sounds bloody hilarious.

Diablo2000 said:
Yes, I had to it when Carla stole one of mine Power Armor. Goddamit Carla. I also robbed her ammunition and her clothing. No one steal something of mine and doesn't pay a price. No one.
NPCs won't steal the armor if it's got no fusion core in it. So removing the core whenever you step out of it is a good habit to get into. (Huh, I guess it's a bit like locking up your car/vehicle IRL when you park it up somewhere.)

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
I wish I could change Dogmeat's name. I always felt that was a bit too dark, inviting death even - especially in the original game (his death animations were too tragic :c).

OT: How many outfits can be modified? So far I can only mod vault jumpsuits.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Happyninja42 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Happyninja42 said:
snip
snip
Now you'll just run out of screws all the time.

And then aluminum, and then oil.
*shrugs* I've got several hundred (if not over 1000 of at least one of those things you listed), so I'm not too worried about it. Maybe I have the Scrapper perk and you don't? *shrugs* I know people are talking about having a lack of resources when it comes to crafting in FO 4, but I personally haven't had this issue. I dunno, maybe I just scavenge more than most people. xD

OT: Has anyone found a way to tell the difference between an outfit you can wear with armor parts, and an outfit that is only itself? Without having to pick it up and look at it in your pip menu? Specifically I mean by looking at the little stat window when I mouse over it in a loot container or body. Is there any defining marker on THAT screen?