Aug 29, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Happyninja42 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Happyninja42 said:
snip
snip
Now you'll just run out of screws all the time.

And then aluminum, and then oil.
*shrugs* I've got several hundred (if not over 1000 of at least one of those things you listed), so I'm not too worried about it. Maybe I have the Scrapper perk and you don't? *shrugs* I know people are talking about having a lack of resources when it comes to crafting in FO 4, but I personally haven't had this issue. I dunno, maybe I just scavenge more than most people. xD

OT: Has anyone found a way to tell the difference between an outfit you can wear with armor parts, and an outfit that is only itself? Without having to pick it up and look at it in your pip menu? Specifically I mean by looking at the little stat window when I mouse over it in a loot container or body. Is there any defining marker on THAT screen?
Get level 2 scrapper and everything you tag for search glows green. Never needed screws, aluminium or oil ever again. Once you get that it's a walk in the park. I also picked a few points Fortune Finder, so caps aren't a issue either, far more useful than I originally thought it would.
I whoever am still needing a lot of adhesive. "But wait..." you say "You can cook those!".
Yes, I am aware of that. I planted all the things I needed for it and put workers on it, except, I expected all the things show up in the workshop and they don't, being more especific, Mutfruit and Tatos don't while everything else does and I don't know why only these two aren't showing up. Do I need to put at least one in the workshop for it to work and more show up? It's a glitch? These two really won't show up in the workshop to prevent the player to create tons and tons of adhesive for balance? What I am missing where?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
Related question now that I think about it. Do the supplies your communities make actually get stored in the workshop? For example you have a surplus of water and food, do the people automatically store those? Because one day I went to my station and noticed I had 75 units of Purified Water, and I don't recall gathering that much of it. I mean, maybe I did and it just accumulated? But I noticed the large amount after I made a water purification system for Sanctuary, and was curious if perhaps it's stockpiling the stuff on my behalf. Can anyone confirm/deny if this is the case for supplies created by settlements?
Yeah, anything you have a resource working kind of gradually builds up in that workbench. Purified water is the most consistent, but I've seen the veggies show up, random stuff from junk benches, and if you have a Brahmin wander in and build the trough, you can get small amounts of Brahmin meat, at least.

I know the last one because for whatever reason my Sunshine Tidings Co-op attracts Brahmin like crazy, I think I've got 12 or more in there now.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Does anyone know how/if you can modify dog armor or dog collars? I see they have an actual defense on them, but it's rated zero, and inspecting them shows a single empty "misc" slot?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Just a tip about the Fat Man: It's best used in VATS, because VATS automatically calculates the parabolic projectile trajectory, so you don't have to 'eyeball it'. Just target an enemy's leg in VATS, and you'll basically always hit them, (even if you 'miss' slightly, the Fat Man nuke will still kill them).

This same trick works in FO3 too.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
What classic game is Grognak the Barbarian and the Ruby Ruins a knockoff of?
I can identify the source game for all the other holotape games, but I have no idea what the inspiration for Grognak is.

XT6Wagon

Sep 8, 2014
Base Building is insane XP for the effort required. I was lvl 4 just building the shell of a base at red rocket this playthrough. Making Sanctuary a nice place would be worth far more. Its somewhat boring, but it makes the "I have no ammo and I must murder" part of the game much shorter. Cooking food is also pretty key to getting XP quickly. Also makes your food rad free which is worth more than any stat bonus.

Stores make for easy places to dump the random garbage you collect that isn't worth using or salvaging. Who would want a dozen pipe pistols is beyond me, but might as well sell them instead of getting the 1 wood and 1 steel or whatever they break down to.

Diablo: its the surplus food that shows up in the workbench. Do the quest for the robot farm and supply line it, or try making settlements with only one food type that way you are sure to get that food as a surplus.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
XT6Wagon said:
Diablo: its the surplus food that shows up in the workbench. Do the quest for the robot farm and supply line it, or try making settlements with only one food type that way you are sure to get that food as a surplus.
Yep, can confirm. The same thing happens if you build that biggest water purifier contraption thingy, which produces 40 water. That's usually far too much water for most settlements, and so the surplus Purified Water get thrown on your workbench for you to grab or use.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
What are the best mods to install for Fallout 4 thus far?
I actually made a separate thread about this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.885061-Fallout-4s-already-impressive-modding-scene

Long story short, there's not much to choose from at the moment. And I don't think there are any character model mods as of yet, (they usually take a while to make).

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Another few questions.

1.) Is the Enclave in this game or has the Brotherhood of Steel officially replaced them?

2.) Do the Railroad and the Institute have non-stop misc. quests like the other two major factions?

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
I haven't finished it but got the sense that the Institute replaced the Conclave... Have I just not gotten far enough yet?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Elfgore said:
Another few questions.

1.) Is the Enclave in this game or has the Brotherhood of Steel officially replaced them?

2.) Do the Railroad and the Institute have non-stop misc. quests like the other two major factions?
1] I haven't found them. If they *are* in this game, then they're certainly not a major (or very visible) faction, and probably just an 'undercover' thing like in New Vegas.

2] Railroad certainly does (opening storage caches that can only be opened with an RFID chip, and also putting up those surveillance node thingies for the tinfoil hat guy). Institute... I dunno, I don't think so, as the main reason for the radiant quests is to improve your 'rep' with that faction, and uhh... you don't need to improve your rep with the Institute (I won't say any more than that because spoilers).

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
FrozenLaughs said:
Does anyone know how/if you can modify dog armor or dog collars? I see they have an actual defense on them, but it's rated zero, and inspecting them shows a single empty "misc" slot?
I don't think you can and people wear them on the right arm if memory serves.

Elfgore said:
Another few questions.

Be warned, there's a LOT of, sometimes subtle, plot spoilers below.
1. The Enclave is just gone as a force and they aren't in Boston at all outside of being able to find some Remnants Power Armour (now named X0-1), their ideology seems to have been split between the (now back to their old ways) BoS and The Institute. The BoS are trying to purge the wasteland of everything they see as not "human" (though they, at least, consider wastelanders as Human and not subhuman mutants like The Enclave did) and The Institute seek to
"Restore everything to the 'good old days'"
through technology and tend to tinker with it and create some abominations like The Enclave did (Fallout 2's Frank Horrigan is a good example as are their Talking Deathclaws from the same game).

2. I haven't tried yet but yes, I would think that they would have those radiant misc quests. Though, scrounging around online doesn't really show anything much on that front so they may not have infinite radiant quests.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
vallorn said:
FrozenLaughs said:
I don't think you can and people wear them on the right arm if memory serves.
I kind of have them on Dogmeat, actually. I liked the idea of him taking more abuse before going down,but if the defense ratings are still zero it defeats the purpose and makes them cosmetic. But if they're intended to be cosmetic then why put defense stats on them at all?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Are there any remote-detonatable explosives in this game? Because I haven't found any yet.

One of my favorite things to do in FONV was to plant C4 all around inside Caesar's tent, hide in the corner, and then detonate it all.

Wouldn't surprise me if they took that out of FO4 though, given that the AI never seemed to react to it in FONV. You'd think the NPCs would get a bit suspicious of someone planting C4 all around the place, but they don't.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
IceForce said:
Are there any remote-detonatable explosives in this game? Because I haven't found any yet.

One of my favorite things to do in FONV was to plant C4 all around inside Caesar's tent, hide in the corner, and then detonate it all.

Wouldn't surprise me if they took that out of FO4 though, given that the AI never seemed to react to it in FONV. You'd think the NPCs would get a bit suspicious of someone planting C4 all around the place, but they don't.
C4 bundles seem to have been replaced with half a dozen 'Throw grenade to mark for orbital strike' weapons.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Institute and main quest spoilers ahoy!

If anyone could please answer the following questions, in case I missed anything:
1. What is the Institute's reasoning behind making human-like synthetics and giving them programming that mimics human appearance? I can see it for Coursers and infiltration units, but why do it for your gardening (like Z1) and maintenance synths?
2. What is the Institute's plan when replacing people with Synths?
3. Is there any in-game explanation of whatever synths are truly sentient or are just "very advanced programs" as the Institute says?
4. Is there any explanation of why the Institute created Nick Valentine or if there are other synths with similar "programming"?

As far as I can tell there are no answers or explanations for these questions in the game and it made the Institute feel half-baked to me.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Drathnoxis said:
I can identify the source game for all the other holotape games, but I have no idea what the inspiration for Grognak is.
haha its source game is "the bards tale" ah those were the days , even played it on a green screen monitor as well.fighters attacking a group of bandits in a single round and "fighter has hit bandits and killed 99 of them"

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Gethsemani said:
Institute and main quest spoilers ahoy!

If anyone could please answer the following questions, in case I missed anything:
1. What is the Institute's reasoning behind making human-like synthetics and giving them programming that mimics human appearance? I can see it for Coursers and infiltration units, but why do it for your gardening (like Z1) and maintenance synths?
2. What is the Institute's plan when replacing people with Synths?
3. Is there any in-game explanation of whatever synths are truly sentient or are just "very advanced programs" as the Institute says?
4. Is there any explanation of why the Institute created Nick Valentine or if there are other synths with similar "programming"?

As far as I can tell there are no answers or explanations for these questions in the game and it made the Institute feel half-baked to me.
I assume it's because they have the tech, so they might as well use it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that 'gen 3' synths are the only ones in production, and the gen 1 and 2 synths (the robotic ones) are only still in use simply to use up 'old stock', so to speak.

Reconnaissance, I assume. Being able to covertly spy on what's happing around the wastes. Well, that, and also being able to subtly influence what happens in certain places (such as infiltrating the mayoralty of Diamond City).

You do raise a good point though, and what you've said here has been bugging me for a while. The whole 'abducting people and replacing them with synths' thing is the main reason why the Institute is hated and feared as much as it is. It's a main plot point, and it's drilled into you wherever you go. And yet, oddly, it's an issue that you can't actually raise with "Father" or anyone else in the Institute.
If one wanted to side with the Institute but put an end to the whole 'abducting' thing, then I suppose you can. You are made director of the whole establishment afterall, so I guess you can headcanon it and pretend you told them to stop with that abducting crap.

But you're right, for something that the game goes on and on about in the early stages, it's weird that it goes basically nowhere.

No idea. I get the feeling this is left deliberately ambiguous. Probably Bethesda trying to get players to do some critical thinking on what exactly constitutes "life".
Gen 3 synths are created to be exactly like actual humans, if you go and look at the synth production machine in the Robotics department of the Institute. They have bones, and organs, and flesh, and blood, and whatever else. If they develop free-will as well, and they're held against that will, then that means they're basically slaves.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
pookie101 said:
Drathnoxis said:
haha its source game is "the bards tale" ah those were the days , even played it on a green screen monitor as well.fighters attacking a group of bandits in a single round and "fighter has hit bandits and killed 99 of them"
Oh yeah, I can definitely see the similarities. They definitely took more liberties with this game than the others, but I guess Bard's Tale was too much game for them to rip off completely. Thanks, I had almost given up on getting an answer.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Ookay, my OCD can't take much more than this. Has anyone found a way of CLOSING vault doors? Call me crazy, but I always like to close them after I've finished in the vault. But for some reason they only have an opening animation and not a closing one.