MMO's That Should Exist...But Don't.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I was hoping by now that we would have more advancements on the kinds of things Star Wars Galaxies was about. A real, changing and dynamic online world where the things you do matter and affect your environment. Where you could have 100s of hours of gameplay essentially at level 1 because you started a crafting business, and decided to spend your time trading, making deals, and amassing your wealth. A game where modders can have advanced tools and work with developer input to make their own housing and literally have an effect on the appearance and architecture of the online world.

Just a world where it would be difficult to watch someone do the same "rewarding and game-changing" quest you just did 2 minutes prior, re-enforcing how unimportant you are to the world you're virtually living in. There could be raids, gear, and all that good stuff, but we really haven't reached the potential of what a living, breathing online world could truly be. I think whoever convinces an investor to fund a marriage between Minecraft and the best aspects of sandbox and theme park MMOs could be rich, and it could be something compelling and game-changing enough to make WoW players curious. People aren't going to leave 100s of hours of WoW accomplishments for "WoW again but in X world".

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Witty Name Here said:
Pokémon is a given, honestly I think it would potentially be one of the most popular MMOs on the market if it were ever made.

Hmm, I'd also like to see an MMO in the harry potter universe as previously mentioned.

Maybe an Assassin's creed MMO? If done right, it has a LOT of potential.
Check out PokeMMO. It's still in Alpha but it's pretty good, based in Kanto with plans to implement other regions in the distant future.

I'd like to see a Marvel MMO similar to DCUO, which I've been playing a lot of recently, mostly because I know more about Marvel than DC. And maybe a Lost kind of game where you end up on an island and have to survive. Sort of Far Cry 3 but more survival aspects.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
I'd also like to see a Shadowrun MMO, but it woulndt work in the current way MMO's work. The emphasis on roleplaying and storytelling would have to be way bigger, because just running around gunsblazing makes SR4 extremly bland.
Either that or you've to make a totally free world akin to Eve Online. So everybody can start in the streets but is free to do what they want. Start a con? Deal. Get hired by a dragon? deal. Hire other players to steal intel from another con? hurrei!

It would probably be the biggest thing in gaming history if it's done right.

Other stuff which i assumed should be done by now: Pokemon, Avatar and Naruto.
Both Avatar and Naruto would have some cool basic mechanics with their abilities and way you gain these techniques. Again, at least in Naruto, the world would've to be Eve like too. You should be able to choose the village you're fighting for and then just let the players sort out the rest. Which means there'll be politics involved and fighting over territory and special techniques.
And what would be really super awesome, if they could implement a skill creation system - similar to the way you could create your own spells in Oblivion. Give this option to clans only and let them create their own Bloodline trait.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Phantasy Star Online 2 released in England.
That needs to happen kinda soonish please.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Father Time said:
Ziodyne64 said:
I want the Harry Potter MMO to be a huge world with Hogwarts, Hogsmead, The Burrow, Privet Drive, the Ministry of Magic, any major place in the Harry Potter universe. I want quests, I want classes to learn new spells, I want hidden collectibles like spell books and clothes. I want epic battles with the Death Eaters, and finally, I want it on PS3, Xbox, PC, Mac, anything with a screen, and then, I just want it.
Problem with that is that once you graduate Hogwarts (which I'm guessing won't take 7 real world years) you need something else to do. That's why it should be the entire wizarding world.

I'm not even a big Harry Potter fan (stopped reading after book 4 because I found a series I liked better, and I still haven't seen the movies after 4). And yet I would love to play a sandbox Hogwarts game. Failing that, an MMO would be nice too.

You know if it's going to be an MMO with Hogwarts in it, maybe they could take some elements from Bully.

A better Idea The hogwarts part is like the starting level you go through hogwarts learn skills and taking classes that interest you then go into careers of your choosing Join the Minstry as an aurour or Starting a shop in diagon alley heck even joining the death eaters It will have a persistent world and there would be no classes you spec the way you want to play and learn spells that suit you

A Mmo rts with a persistent world epic battles as players fight for land and resources Intrigue as players try to out gambit each other and munipulate the world So eve online but in a rts anger as one of your training grounds gets wiped out setting the next group of new piolts and scientist's back a few in game years

EquestrianGeneral

Jun 22, 2012
No one's said a Fallout MMO yet?

Alright, then I will.

Like most post-apocalyptic settings, I feel that the Fallout universe lends itself decently to an MMO formula. The world is already rich with backstory and interesting encounters, so adding other players would only further the intrigue and joy of exploration.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Well I always thought Star Wars would be guaranteed to be the best MMO ever if it were made. I am not sure if the reason it isn't is because MMO fans are difficult to please, all have too much invested in WOW or it is just simply not that good.

Fallout needs an MMO, and may very well get one.

I am astounded Pokemon doesn't have an MMO, as all they'd need to do is make a Pokemon game as normal. Then make it considerably larger. Then add micro-transactions and multiplayer capability.

Midnight Crossroads said:
An MMO that takes place in Rapture.

You start the game as a survivor from a sinking ship outside of a Bathysphere in Rapture. The events take place after Bioshock 2. The game world is randomly generated. Your name, sex, and appearance are all randomly chosen. There are no stats. Death is permanent. Friendly fire is always on. You can only level up plasmids and weapons. There is a limited amount of resources in Rapture. They are power, Adam, oxygen, and ammunition. You can work together to unlock new areas of Rapture which the ocean reclaimed or were abandoned to lengthen the game. Adam makes you leaps and bounds more powerful but horribly mutates you with each new use. Eventually, you turn into a splicer that needs Adam or dies. Once all the resources run out, the game starts again. No quests. No NPCs. Just players. People in video games online are dicks. This would be a game which channeled that.
I was thinking of Bioshock, but couldn't think of how it'd be implemented.

I'd say this would work well, although I'd say some NPC's would be good, although not quest givers. Randomly generated Big Daddies with Little Sisters for example.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Skies of Arcadia. Air pirates, turn based combat, either as a party or in ship battles. I would really love to see Skies of Arcadia's ship battles in a PvP setting. I also like the world and would like to explore that in a MMO.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Three words my gaming brethren.

World.

Of.

Mana.

Yeah, that's right. The Mana series. You don't think it'd be epic?

Mana Beast raid boss!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
As much as I hate the Pookeymanns, the franchise seems perfectly tailored to an MMO.
But apparently Nintendo hates money.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Legion said:
Well I always thought Star Wars would be guaranteed to be the best MMO ever if it were made. I am not sure if the reason it isn't is because MMO fans are difficult to please, all have too much invested in WOW or it is just simply not that good.
I assume you mean a more contemporary Star Wars MMO, as in Rebels, Imperials etc. They had one, it died.

Witty Name Here said:
Pokémon is a given, honestly I think it would potentially be one of the most popular MMOs on the market if it were ever made.

Hmm, I'd also like to see an MMO in the harry potter universe as previously mentioned.

Maybe an Assassin's creed MMO? If done right, it has a LOT of potential.
My problem with that is the part where you have to interact with other players, but then that's my problem with MMOs in general.

As for me... actually I can't think of anything. Although I did like the sound of the Neverwinter MMO.

Towowo

Sep 22, 2008
I don't mean to sound rude or anything but why does everyone think a Pokemon MMO would actually work in any sustainable format? You'd have a game that would be completed dominated by people who enjoy competitive battling and pretty much leaving everyone else in the dust. The gameplay format would have to be changed entirely for that to not to be a possibility. A game revolving completely on capturing Pokemon and battling other people wouldn't keep people too interested for too long before they start wondering why doing these things needed to be done in an MMO.

Ziodyne64

Jun 29, 2011
Just had another great idea: Borderlands MMO...OH! SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS MMO! Several warriors running around in the huge world, (With other creatures to fight other than the colossi, perhaps shadow creatures and other such things) And incredibly complicated bosses that require a group of people to take down. This will happen...Now...okay probably not, but it would be awesome.

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
Demon ID said:
I would play as an Imperial Guard just to see if I'd be able to kill anyone.
Actually, it's theoretically possible to balance that. Like, allowing IG player characters to command a squad consisting of NPCs, making them an iteration of the summoner classes from fantasy MMOs. Although I've never heard of an MMO where you can shoot one of your NPC helpers in the face to make others fight harder. That, or making them able to hop into a tank like you said.

OT: I'd totally play an MMO based on Terry Pratchett's books. The problem is that you can't really make a modern MMO out of Discworld, because modern MMOs are too combat-oriented, with virtually no possibilities for roleplay (with LotRO and EQ2 being possible exeptions) and all non-combat activities being shallow and token.

Also, something completely devoid of any form of combat. And maybe grind. Like a game about colonising some distant planet, with players being the colonists who need to explore the world and manage their society, all wwhile maintaining the infrastucture of the colony.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
Hmmm, this one could be an interesting thing... EVE online set in the pathfinder high fantasy world..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Iwata said:
Well, now that Dark Millennium switched to a single-player game, if it comes out at all... Warhammer 40k!
I was so ready to claim heaps and heaps of skulls for my lord Khorne...

But, I hate MMO's, so if they changed it to single player I'm ok with that.