MMO's That Should Exist...But Don't.

Ziodyne64

Jun 29, 2011
Does anyone else think that there are a lot of cool franchises out there that could be getting sweet MMO's? Two off the top of my head are Nickelodeon's Avatar and Harry Potter. What would you like to see as an MMO?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Well, now that Dark Millennium switched to a single-player game, if it comes out at all... Warhammer 40k!

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Iwata said:
Warhammer 40k!
That could be hilarious if done correctly, I would play as an Imperial Guard just to see if I'd be able to kill anyone. Or bind my time and get a kick ass tank, tanks are cool.

Their are a few things that could be worth an MMO, though it seems a very hard bussiness to make money in, I always thought Star Trek and Star Wars would make an amazing MMOs but then they made them and they haven't done nearly as well as I'd expected. Especially Star Trek, thought I'd love that but I don't go near the thing.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
Pokémon is a given, honestly I think it would potentially be one of the most popular MMOs on the market if it were ever made.
NNYYYYAAAHAHHHAHAHAIFNSDBGSJBKBK!!!!!
YESYESYEYSYESYEYS!!!
I usually start raging when someone ninjas me but this laternative is so GOD-LIKE that I just must praise someone else fro thinking about this :)
Then again, it has been done, go type "pokemon MMO" into google.
It seems nice and all althou it basically is just a MOD but I would have such sweet plans for how to make a proper Pokemon MMO :D

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
Guffe said:
NNYYYYAAAHAHHHAHAHAIFNSDBGSJBKBK!!!!!

Honestly, it's not like it would be TOO different from Pokémon games,
In that case go check out what I tolk you to :D
http://pokemmo.eu/

If I'd make a pokemon MMO I'd change pretty much from the GameBoy games.
I'd have a whole lot a plans and as many sit around imagining what to do in a Zombie apocalypse, then half of those times I've been planning the first real Pokemon MMO :D

Ziodyne64

Jun 29, 2011
Witty Name Here said:
Guffe said:
Honestly, it's not like it would be TOO different from Pokémon games, though I imagine it would be actually in 3D rather then 2D as per standard pokémon games. You can have trainers fight each other by asking to duel (akin to wow) and setting some bets beforehand. The fighting system doesn't even have to be different from standard pokémon games, just add a timer so if someone challenges you then leaves the computer, you aren't stuck fighting them.
For the Pokemon MMO, I kind of imagine it like the Colosseum and XD games just with other players everywhere and in a much bigger world. I do agree that it could be kind of like World of Warcraft with requested battles. Wild pokemon need to be included and perhaps the other players are still around you when the wilds attack and they can join in on the battle if they want or fight against you if they wanted to. I don't see this happening anytime soon, but if done correctly, it would be awesome.

Ziodyne64

Jun 29, 2011
I want the Harry Potter MMO to be a huge world with Hogwarts, Hogsmead, The Burrow, Privet Drive, the Ministry of Magic, any major place in the Harry Potter universe. I want quests, I want classes to learn new spells, I want hidden collectibles like spell books and clothes. I want epic battles with the Death Eaters, and finally, I want it on PS3, Xbox, PC, Mac, anything with a screen, and then, I just want it.

xDarc

Feb 19, 2009
A game simply called FPS.

No story. No -ism's. No sniping.

The game is an FPS game that knows it's an FPS game. Instead of capturing a flag, you fight over control of the game mechanics by capturing in-game terminals; which allow you to alter the rules and FPS mechanics to various presets in the middle of the match. Turn the arena into a skating rink, , turn on Quake style power ups, turn off gravity, etc. The art style would be more abstract, early 90s poly counts. It would run on just about any computer in a web browser at 60 FPS.

Doesn't have to be an MMO, but sure why the hell not. Throw some character customization in there, unlock special abilities and/or dampen the affect of the mechanical shifts.

I think we're ready for a game that is just a game, where the game is about the rules of games and blends it all together in something never done before.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
An MMO that takes place in Rapture.

You start the game as a survivor from a sinking ship outside of a Bathysphere in Rapture. The events take place after Bioshock 2. The game world is randomly generated. Your name, sex, and appearance are all randomly chosen. There are no stats. Death is permanent. Friendly fire is always on. You can only level up plasmids and weapons. There is a limited amount of resources in Rapture. They are power, Adam, oxygen, and ammunition. You can work together to unlock new areas of Rapture which the ocean reclaimed or were abandoned to lengthen the game. Adam makes you leaps and bounds more powerful but horribly mutates you with each new use. Eventually, you turn into a splicer that needs Adam or dies. Once all the resources run out, the game starts again. No quests. No NPCs. Just players. People in video games online are dicks. This would be a game which channeled that.

Ziodyne64

Jun 29, 2011
xDarc said:

The game is an FPS game that knows it's an FPS game. Instead of capturing a flag, you fight over control of the game mechanics by capturing in-game terminals; which allow you to alter the rules and FPS mechanics to various presets in the middle of the match. Turn the arena into a skating rink, , turn on Quake style power ups, turn off gravity, etc. The art style would be more abstract, early 90s poly counts. It would run on just about any computer in a web browser at 60 FPS.

Doesn't have to be an MMO, but sure why the hell not. Throw some character customization in there, unlock special abilities and/or dampen the affect of the mechanical shifts.

I think we're ready for a game that is just a game, where the game is about the rules of games and blends it all together in something never done before.
...All developers! Lend me your ears! MAKE! THIS! GAME!

Jun 11, 2009
xDarc said:

That'd be pretty amazing, actually. It reminds me of how FEAR 1 multiplayer worked, in that everyone could use the bullet time but the team in control of the objective received much more time dilation.

Personally, I'd be interested to see a Shadowrun MMO (though personally I think it has the most potential as a straight RPG/stealth game). I mean, it already has a bunch of character classes and races, and the setting is a wonderful mix of magic and cyberpunk. The most difficult thing would be making quests work and feel like they actually changed something, though if the factions you find in most MMOs were either handled as megacorps with shifting territories or, in the Guild Wars 2 model, done away with entirely.

I mean, how cool would it be to play in a world with both wizards and shamans slinging around the primal forces of the world and a hundred Philip Marlowes with razor claws and katanas slinking around in the shadows and either taking down criminal syndicates or working odd jobs just to survive another day in a dystopian future ruled by power and money?

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Ashannon Blackthorn said:
I'm olf fashioned. High fantasy. Haven't seen Forgotten realms in MMO form have we?
I used to play that actually. Good choice for setting, there's alot of detail and backstory with that particular realm.

Personally though I was thinking SpellJammer might be interesting. Traveling the stars in magic ships.

jim1398

Nov 26, 2008
Ashannon Blackthorn said:
I'm olf fashioned. High fantasy. Haven't seen Forgotten realms in MMO form have we?
Well Cryptic are making a new Neverwinter MMO

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I'd love a D&D inspired MMO set in Krynn, the world of Dragonlance. Playable races could include Kenders and Draconians. The factions could be based on the Gods, so you basically pick a God to follow and that's your 'faction.' But they can all play together and it's manifested in apparel, quests, dialogue choices and PvP.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
Iwata said:
Well, now that Dark Millennium switched to a single-player game, if it comes out at all... Warhammer 40k!
I would play that.

But recently I played with the idea of a 40k Planetside style (Nobody said it had to be a MMORPG).
The size fits perfectly in the universe, and the fact that the game is an never ending war does not hurt.
You would have to implement some kind of close combat system, maybe even make it 3'rd person to make that work.