Modder Proves That SimCity Works Offline

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
MPerce said:
And just when I thought this couldn't get any funnier.

Time to get some more popcorn!
Can I have some?

The bathtub that I made at launch just ran out.

Seriously this is the train wreck that just keeps giving.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
It's not about what they "deserve". Because they don't deserve all of the stupid, petty, insulting hatred they get. They do things that deserve to be criticized, yes. But when people are throwing out comments like "As long as a game has the EA logo on it, I'm going to assume it's shit", we've moved past the point of logical criticism. And that's where I stop caring about what all of the detractors are saying, because they're trying to make things personal with a multi-million dollar corporation that doesn't give a single shit what one person on an internet forum says.
I don't understand your comment about the failure of logical criticism. My thinking is that it's simple application of past experience to current/future expectations. I'd figure it's in the same vein as knowing not to touch a hot stove from past experiences. Or training dogs. Eventually they learn what actions result in treats (playing dead, rolling over, etc.) and what actions result in rolled up newspapers to the nose (shredding shoes, peeing on the rug, lying on tax returns). EA has had so much fuckupery that people are getting trained to expecting crap whenever dealing with EA.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
RatherDull said:
I'll give Blizzard credit, they didn't lie about their always online.
Yeah it may not have been entirely necessary for them to go server-side, but they at least bothered to code it instead of pretending to and hoping nobody would actually check. Watching this all unfold is exciting purely because you get to wake up in the morning and see what coding corners they cut next.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I love modders. They're like the people who contribute to Newgrounds. They do these things for us and they don't even get paid, generally. I think...a great load of modders should accept a challenge of mine: Use your talents to actually create a game, license it, and sell it...with as few bugs as possible. Prove to us that the companies are TRULY talking out of their collective asses. I'm not asking for you guys to become a multi-national corporation. Just show these guys how it's done.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Desert Punk said:
Witty Name Here said:
Honestly, at this point EA is making the villains from Atlas Shrugged look intelligent and subtle.

Now, I'm not a PC gamer, but if I were I would be pissed. We have bad enough connection over here as is; we shouldn't be kicked from a single player experience because of that.
Im a PC gamer and I am not that pissed.

I think most of us were smart enough not to buy this pile of shite.
Is that why the downloaded version of SimCity on amazon is still #1 since the games release? I think there are just as many dumb people on PC as there are on console.

Btw sorry if this sounds hostile. I am mainly a PC player but I SMH hard when I see line up to get fucked because they couldn't see all the signs.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Desert Punk said:
GAunderrated said:
Desert Punk said:
Witty Name Here said:
Honestly, at this point EA is making the villains from Atlas Shrugged look intelligent and subtle.

Now, I'm not a PC gamer, but if I were I would be pissed. We have bad enough connection over here as is; we shouldn't be kicked from a single player experience because of that.
Im a PC gamer and I am not that pissed.

I think most of us were smart enough not to buy this pile of shite.
Is that why the downloaded version of SimCity on amazon is still #1 since the games release? I think there are just as many dumb people on PC as there are on console.

Btw sorry if this sounds hostile. I am mainly a PC player but I SMH hard when I see line up to get fucked because they couldn't see all the signs.
I didnt say there werent a lot of stupid people :p I just said MOST were smart enough not to buy it.

and their numbers are somewhere around 500k players last I saw, a far sight shorter than the 6 million somem PC players Diablo 3 got.

Also what is SMH?
Fair enough.

I'm curious what their sales were compared to the previous simcity? That would be more of a measuring mark than Diablo 3 which had insane hype.

Oh SMH means Smack My Head

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Desert Punk said:
GAunderrated said:
I'm curious what their sales were compared to the previous simcity?
All I could find was this: http://www.gamespot.com/news/burning-crusade-lights-up-07-pc-sales-chart-6185090

Best-selling PC Games of 2007, by units sold
1. World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack--Vivendi Games--2.25 million
2. World of Warcraft--Vivendi Games--914,000
3. The Sims 2: Seasons Expansion Pack--Electronic Arts--433,000
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare--Activision--383,000
5. Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars--Electronic Arts--343,000
6. Sim City 4 Deluxe--Electronic Arts--284,000
7. The Sims 2--Electronic Arts--281,000
8. The Sims 2: Bon Voyage Expansion Pack--Electronic Arts--271,000
9. Age of Empires III--Microsoft--259,000
10. The Sims 2: Pets Expansion Pack--Electronic Arts--236,000
Meaning Sim City 4 in one year, (4 years AFTER its release date) sold half as many units as SimCity (2013) has in its opening month.

So I am guessing Sim City 4 vastly out sold SimCity 2013 as it stands.
Sadly I don't think that include digital sales only physical. I would love to be wrong but I have a feeling that the game still sold well compared to its predicessor

Nocturnus

Oct 2, 2007
I wonder if anyone was paying attention to the fact that all of his region calculations were broken...

Like.. all of them.

For a moment there he was producing somewhere along the lines of billions of pollution, which i've never seen even in a coal mining town.

He pulled the client offline. Locally? Things happened. Regionally? It was b0rked.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Desert Punk said:
GAunderrated said:
Sadly I don't think that include digital sales only physical. I would love to be wrong but I have a feeling that the game still sold well compared to its predicessor
It is only boxed sales yes, but that is for the year 2007, Sim City 4 came out in 2003, meaning that Sim City 4 was in the top 10 best selling games for PC 4 years after its release. Do you really think that the new one will even be running in 4 years? much less be at the top of the sales charts still?
Yes but being a top seller in boxed PC games isn't saying much since PC from 2006 on thrived mostly digital. Also digitally the developers and publishers get more $$$ per purchase than retail. I'm not saying that SimCity for sure is selling as good or better than the previous one but I have a feeling they will.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
sneakypenguin said:
But you lose all the region stuff which is a huge portion of the game so its kind eh. Yeah it functions but its still gimped without the online stuff.
I don't want the region stuff. To me, it's actually the region stuff that gimps the game, which in previous versions was perfectly enjoyable with a single city not connected to other cities.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
Did I miss something? Since when is it okay to treat legitimate customers like absolute crap? Won't that drive more people to pirate your games?

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
So, how long is EA going to show us How Not to Run a Game Company before it actually starts to be bad for them? I'm not sure any of this will make a difference. They haven't deserved to have any jobs or money at all since 2000, but I don't see many people thinking twice about buying from them.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
These things are usually too good to be true. I'm going to wait till it's 100%, that I could actually download the game and play (not saying I would do that though). Is this reality?

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
The Artificially Prolonged said:
The moral of the story, don't lie. Also don't say something is impossible on a pc game as guaranteed someone is going to try and find a why to make it possible. Then you end up making your own dev team look stupid and incompetent by comparison.
I guess no one learned from Sony's big blunder last year.