Modder Proves That SimCity Works Offline

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
But you lose all the region stuff which is a huge portion of the game so its kind eh. Yeah it functions but its still gimped without the online stuff.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
What astounded me was when, a couple of weeks ago on this forum, I posted a complaint that the technology to make stuff like SimCity and online FPS work from the client not only existed, but was cheap and easy, I was called delusional.

Well, it's a nice delusion, but it's amazing how easily people are persuaded to eat the shit put in front of them.
maybe this is all a dream?

But yh i remember when people said this couldnt be done, well now whos laughing

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Well EA just ran out of all excuses. Too bad they couldn't be voted the worst company in 2013 because they can't repeat crowns after taking the 2012 crown. I mean EA really wants the gold for fuckary.

Edit: @ spade: People are not being persuaded to eat shit and like it, they are VOLUNTEERING to eat shit and when they find out that it actually tastes like shit, they throw a child temper tantrum. Those people never learn, keep feeding the beast, and ***** only after they get fucked over for not waiting one day.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
So where I went wrong is in assuming that EA would be competent at screwing over its customers.

Although does anyone who defended them with a 'this game in fundamentally an MMO' want so start backpedalling :p

Agow95 said:
So the game that apparently won't work without an internet connection works best without an internet connection...
Quoting just to say, nice avatar =D

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
SO how long do you think it will take before EA asks Youtube to take that video down and sue the guy for infringing on some minute, stupid runaround legal babble?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Poor Lucy Bradshaw
Another woman brought down in her prime because she failed to get her tubes tied.
*Cringe* Uuuugggh... *shudder* urrrhhh... don't know... if okay... to laugh at... Guuuurh!

OT: Was there ever any doubt to this, I mean seriously, EA (one of the biggest companies in gaming) can't make a SimCity game capable of being played offline!?

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Holy shit, you can play a singleplayer game masked as multiplayer, offline?

I don't want to sound patronising, nor do I want to embarrass them, but has anybody told EA this yet? They might need to know so they can stop telling us the contrary.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
GAunderrated said:
Edit: @ spade: People are not being persuaded to eat shit and like it, they are VOLUNTEERING to eat shit
I'm not sure it's quite that bad, a lot of people will buy this game with only a very basic grasp of the technology surrounding it (or no grasp at all), so they have no idea what they're in for.

Those same people probably aren't up to speed with EA and the way it carries on, they probably believe the hype to a degree too (I know right?).

EA makes all the DRM sound like a service, they make it all sound friendly and desirable. I'd liken it to being promised a nice beef burger, then being served a cow pat and getting told that it's the same thing because it came from a cow and a beef burger is some impossible dream.

Sooner or later this will really bite EA (as it has with Blizzard and Diablo 3's financial problems), these people don't care about the tech, they just care that they bought a game they can't play.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Well, we all have to get a good laugh out of this. EA and Maxis were proven that what they say is bullshit. There will finally be a way for the all people who bought it to play with all the actual game features intact (Cheetah Speed for example), all they need to do is pirate a second copy when a pirated version comes out. This to me is one of the only times piracy is acceptable, besides the standard region restrictions. Good on the modder, and good for the people who actually invested money in this game.

Edit: I almost forgot, the roads outside the borders is brilliant. Further proof that the put in just terribly arbitrary city sizes. Why not be able to make one super massive city? Because then other players wouldn't have space to build? While this feature is nice, it shouldn't be compulsory.

cschraer

Jul 14, 2010
I'm pretty sure the game, when limited to 1 city, does not require an internet connection. But a good 25% of the play is regional based, which means the servers need to keep track of what each city is doing. This requires an internet connection. One man simply debugging a single city plot with no regional interaction except for the very basic, as in already decided, starting interactions does not make the "game" playable offline. It only makes a piece of it playable, which is what EA should do, but that's a different discussion.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
I like it when companies say something not possible on a pc game, and then a week later someone manages to mod the game to do something claimed to be impossible. modding something into the game is a lot harder than to just implement it into the game.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Tanis said:
When people who PIRATE a game, get a better EXPERIENCE than people who BOUGHT a game.

You know your game/drm is BULLSHIT.

I REALLY REALLY want this game, I love SimCity, but I will NOT spend my money (or my time) on a product that treats ME like a criminal.

Screw EA, Screw Maxis.
I hope this clusterbonk is the straw that breaks the camels back.

But, given how stupid people seem to be, it probably won't be.
I don't think that it's piracy of you remove the DRM from your legally bought copy. I agree with the rest of what you said.

OT: I'm surprised it took this long. I wonder if EA will patch it out of the game and/or start banning people who use this method to play offline.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
AxelxGabriel said:
SO how long do you think it will take before EA asks Youtube to take that video down and sue the guy for infringing on some minute, stupid runaround legal babble?
I was expecting it to happen already

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Doom972 said:
I don't think that it's piracy of you remove the DRM from your legally bought copy. I agree with the rest of what you said.

OT: I'm surprised it took this long. I wonder if EA will patch it out of the game and/or start banning people who use this method to play offline.
Piracy perhaps not but it would represent a clear violation of your Eula and a possible violation of various intellectual property laws. Having not read (nor do I particularly intend to) the Eula for Sim City I cannot say for certain but I'd wager they have a clause in the agreement about not reverse engineering or modifying the game.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
It'll be interesting to see how EA/Axis... ..no I'll leave that typo in, it made me giggle, react to this.

Do they:
A: Stick to their current line. Publicly stating a demonstrable falsehood.
B: Claim that the modder is lying, which can be easily proved or (as no doubt in this case) disproved.
C: Claim that they did not know this was possible, react with shock and pretend they are stunned at his skill.
D: Grudgingly release an off-line patch without the extra features and with nag screens for you to log in - oh and a different type of DRM.
E: Ignore it, but never mention the online requirement again.

Dumoras

May 15, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Poor Lucy Bradshaw
Another woman brought down in her prime because she failed to get her tubes tied.
thank you for bringing a taste of sexism into this argument.

and fuck you ea. this guy who made the mod better be a fucking genius, because if he is a isn't, then EA is either filled with fools or lying bastards so high on ego that they won't own up to a major cock up.

Sep 24, 2008
two of my friends were talking about this today. One friend calls to Boycott EA, all gamers so they get the message. The other friend (who is going into school for gaming design) says that the workers at EA shouldn't suffer because of management's decisions.

I was two seconds away from wavering to my second friend's side when I realized something. As a trainer, if I gave them shitty service, no attention, and half assed work outs, they would look at me like a grew a second head if I said they couldn't leave me because it would make me lose money.

I really do not have that much sympathy for the designers at EA because that's asking me to have sympathy for someone who's constantly trying to screw me over after I legitimately pay for something, who asks to infringe on my rights as a customer to enhance their rights as the owner.

Fuck them. I don't deserve this treatment because I never pirated a game. And, oddly, I believe in owning the book, computer, tv, car, chair, weights, vacuum or whatever I pay for. I'm starting to think this PC master race thing is just spin so we all bend over and take it with a smile as the developers think up new ways to screw us.