Modders Recreate Halo Deathmatch in Minecraft

sycoesis

May 31, 2010
BabySinclair said:
Yeah, next thing you know we'll be playing the campaign in Minecraft too
on that thought the flood would be an interesting mob for minecraft a self replicating nighttime enemy

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I'm not even a Halo fan but I'm impressed. Now all they need is a firefight mode, with spiders and creepers.

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
I really like how the lockout map is even hanging high in the air. It's a true replica.

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
It's just a texture pack. all that is modded is the SMP get stuff when you re spawn. Notch is trying to make the game more Mod friendly.

LoneGunmanO23 said:
But...but...but, there's no crouch in Minecraft!
Have you even played minecraft? Crouch is the shift button its been around for a long time.

Aaron.R

Jan 17, 2011
RedRussian said:
Aaron.R said:
So, what they've done is taken what I understand to be a pretty unique and quirky game and used it to recreate one of the blandest and most streamlined experiences available in gaming? Time well spent.

Saw this post coming a mile away.

OP: good for them. Shows that minecraft is capable of making almost anything.
Thank you for finding the opinion I formed on this article to be both agreeable and quickly recognisable :)

To be fair, it's technically impressive, but seems kind of pointless. I mean, it definitely showcases the diversity of Minecraft's engine (after it's been hacked to pieces) for future modders who might be a bit more creative. But I don't understand people going "Oh wowza, gosh I hope they make this map from Halo with this feature from Halo. Then I can pretend I'm playing Halo!" Halo already exists in many basically identical iterations, so just go play Halo.

Sep 17, 2009
x
Pandaman1911 said:
I think Notch has actually said he doesn't want stuff like this happening, hasn't he? Mods that change the way the game works? Maybe I just read what he said wrong.

Either way, that's pretty damn cool, and would be hectic if you got a lot of people in there.
"If you've bought the game, you may play around with it and modify it. I'd appreciate it if you didn't use this for griefing, though, and remember not to distribute the changes.

Any tools you write for the game from scratch belong to you. You're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, including selling them for money."

Source: http://www.minecraft.net/copyright.jsp
----------------------
OT: Notch would have no problem with this at all. As long as you don't distribute the images as art or redistribute the game as it is for sale then you can modify it in anyway you want and sell the plugins. So this mod would be a very plausible and legal addition to the game.

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Aaron.R said:
So, what they've done is taken what I understand to be a pretty unique and quirky game and used it to recreate one of the blandest and most streamlined experiences available in gaming? Time well spent.
Flame bait much?

OT:Seems pretty cool, and if Minecraft can do that, what else can it do?

Aaron.R

Jan 17, 2011
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
Flame bait much?

My bad kimosabe, I must have overlooked the part that said you may only post if you think this is great, and of course love Halo like a twelve year old. It's not like this is an open discussion or anything.

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Aaron.R said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
Flame bait much?

My bad kimosabe, I must have overlooked the part that said you may only post if you think this is great, and of course love Halo like a twelve year old. It's not like this is an open discussion or anything.
Sorry, but most of the time, insulting popular games without posting valid reasonings, and ending on a sarcastic note could be flamebaiting. Just a heads up, no sarcasm intended.

Aaron.R

Jan 17, 2011
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
Flame bait much?

Sorry, but most of the time, insulting popular games without posting valid reasonings, and ending on a sarcastic note could be flamebaiting. Just a heads up, no sarcasm intended.
Cool man, sorry if I overreacted then, I guess I did. Do over! :D But yeah I wasn't trying to incite rage or anything :p I just really did read this article and think... why? I know it's technically proficient, that's what's impressive, I get that, but like I said earlier I don't understand the response of "I hope they make this map from Halo with this feature from Halo. Then I can pretend I'm playing Halo!" Halo already exists in many basically identical iterations. A positive response for me would be thinking right, they've shown they can use Minecraft to make an FPS, so what kind of original stuff can we come up with?

Still, I have no love for Halo which definitely affected my negative response. If they'd remade a Half-Life level I'd probably be blazing with praise instead :)

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Aaron.R said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
Flame bait much?

Cool man, sorry if I overreacted then, I guess I did. Do over! :D But yeah I wasn't trying to incite rage or anything :p I just really did read this article and think... why? I know it's technically proficient, that's what's impressive, I get that, but like I said earlier I don't understand the response of "I hope they make this map from Halo with this feature from Halo. Then I can pretend I'm playing Halo!" Halo already exists in many basically identical iterations. A positive response for me would be thinking right, they've shown they can use Minecraft to make an FPS, so what kind of original stuff can we come up with?

Still, I have no love for Halo which definitely affected my negative response. If they'd remade a Half-Life level I'd probably be blazing with praise instead :)
Wow, sorry that I came off as a raving fanboy. It just I thought you were flaming Halo due to it being Halo. My bad, I see your side now. I shouldn't have made a rash assumption about you. Friends?

Aaron.R

Jan 17, 2011
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
Flame bait much?

Wow, sorry that I came off as a raving fanboy. It just I thought you were flaming Halo due to it being Halo. My bad, I see your side now. I shouldn't have made a rash assumption about you. Friends?
Ahh no worries man to be fair I didn't outline my opinion very well or in any detail really in my first post :) Friends <3

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Pandaman1911 said:
I think Notch has actually said he doesn't want stuff like this happening, hasn't he? Mods that change the way the game works? Maybe I just read what he said wrong.

Either way, that's pretty damn cool, and would be hectic if you got a lot of people in there.
Actually it's the other way around. He said quite clearly on his legal page that people can mess around with it all they like and even sell mods for money.