Modders Recreate Halo Deathmatch in Minecraft

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
Holy cheese and crackers! That's damned awesome! Express!

The time that it took to make that... Oh if only we were paid for our creative adventures.. and some people are..

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Aaron.R said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Aaron.R said:
So, what they've done is taken what I understand to be a pretty unique and quirky game and used it to recreate one of the blandest and most streamlined experiences available in gaming? Time well spent.
Flame bait much?

OT:Seems pretty cool, and if Minecraft can do that, what else can it do?
My bad kimosabe, I must have overlooked the part that said you may only post if you think this is great, and of course love Halo like a twelve year old. It's not like this is an open discussion or anything.
Sorry, but most of the time, insulting popular games without posting valid reasonings, and ending on a sarcastic note could be flamebaiting. Just a heads up, no sarcasm intended.
Cool man, sorry if I overreacted then, I guess I did. Do over! :D But yeah I wasn't trying to incite rage or anything :p I just really did read this article and think... why? I know it's technically proficient, that's what's impressive, I get that, but like I said earlier I don't understand the response of "I hope they make this map from Halo with this feature from Halo. Then I can pretend I'm playing Halo!" Halo already exists in many basically identical iterations. A positive response for me would be thinking right, they've shown they can use Minecraft to make an FPS, so what kind of original stuff can we come up with?

Still, I have no love for Halo which definitely affected my negative response. If they'd remade a Half-Life level I'd probably be blazing with praise instead :)
Wow, sorry that I came off as a raving fanboy. It just I thought you were flaming Halo due to it being Halo. My bad, I see your side now. I shouldn't have made a rash assumption about you. Friends?
Ahh no worries man to be fair I didn't outline my opinion very well or in any detail really in my first post :) Friends <3
Waddya know? We managed to avoid a flame war like normal, civilized people. Congrats.

http://soshable.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Everything_went_better_than_expected.png

OT: Nice to see mods of any kind. Though, I never had cared for mods based on other games simply because they're pretty uninspired. I've always thought if I'd put this much effort into something, I'd want to do my own thing. Oh well.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
As much as this game makes my blood boil this was very cool. Well done!
Overhype getting to you? Or other reasons?

Anyways, fantastic concept, good execution.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Pretty awesome, but comon they put in all that effort and make the level so butt ugly?

Day/Night cycles would be fun.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
It would be sorta cool if they could implement some other features into this, i.e collecting special materials to make more weapons or building some things like blockades or sniper perches, might make the game a bit more interesting and strategic

I dont play minecraft, my computer cant handle it, but when i get a laptop or a new computer im definatlty checking it out

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Looks better than real halo :) simply for the fact that I don't have to use Microsoft to play it haha (Works on mac)

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
That's great, really nice.

Though, Notch apparently doesn't like mods, which is kinda ironic considering he built his game on open source software.

Though, apparently he might add some official mod support, I think he said that on his blog.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
This bodes well for the eventual zombie mod with guns that eventually will be made. As with all games with modding capabilities.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
That looks like the most sinfully boring game of deathmatch I have ever seen.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Pandaman1911 said:
I think Notch has actually said he doesn't want stuff like this happening, hasn't he? Mods that change the way the game works? Maybe I just read what he said wrong.

Either way, that's pretty damn cool, and would be hectic if you got a lot of people in there.
I've no idea where you got that idea from.
He's all for mods and loves the creative things people come up with.
He's even working on rebuilding the structure of the game so that it'll be easier to mod.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Minecraft is just the tip of the iceberg, Imagine Generating Whole Worlds like in Dwarf Fortress and then building cities that stays permanently, that can be destroyed, flooded etc, and then enter in adventure mode, or in multiplayer sessions and having a 2d or 3d game that's in constant shaping !

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
All this need are vehicles, that epic "SLAYER at the start of the match, and whiny twelve year olds with headsets and it'll be perfect .................wait scratch that last part.

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
sycoesis said:
BabySinclair said:
Yeah, next thing you know we'll be playing the campaign in Minecraft too
on that thought the flood would be an interesting mob for minecraft a self replicating nighttime enemy
Nightmare Enemy = The Creepers

Have you ever been ninja'd by one of those things? If you haven't you'll understand when it does...

[small]And it will...[/small]

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Denamic said:
Pandaman1911 said:
I think Notch has actually said he doesn't want stuff like this happening, hasn't he? Mods that change the way the game works? Maybe I just read what he said wrong.

Either way, that's pretty damn cool, and would be hectic if you got a lot of people in there.
I've no idea where you got that idea from.
He's all for mods and loves the creative things people come up with.
He's even working on rebuilding the structure of the game so that it'll be easier to mod.
There was a while when he slammed modders behaviour but they were wholesale redistributing the game so it was utterly reasonable.
Even the current modding is on pretty poor legal ground as most are just redistributing small parts of his code, aside from the few guys using patchers. When the mod SDK is up and running it'll make life better for all parties.

OT that's pretty cool but I think I'll stick to quake live for my shooting and spleef [http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Spleef] for my competitive minecraft.