Modern Warfare 2 Makes a Resurgence With Five New Maps

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
Delusibeta said:
Alas, the large quantity of battery fanbois Activision has cultivated...
Masochists? Douchebag teenagers? Whiny 12 year old pubescent shits? Or fratboy assfucks? I never knew Activision had fanboys of any kind.
I'm pretty sure he means IW fanboys.. hell, even COD 4-mw2 fanboys, since I doubt they even know who makes it.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Crunchy English said:
Ok guys, this is ridiculous. Taxes in, you're looking at a $100 dollar FPS. That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Imagine if they'd sold it that way boxed?!

The fact of the matter is that this game may have been well-designed, it may look good but it is just one shooter in a sea of shooters. The only thing that sets it apart is hype and Activision's amazingly effective tactics of squeezing customers dry. Hang up of these sonsofbitches and find something else to play!
Not required, as long as you don't mind having your player base decimated. In a single player game, DLC is an optional extra. In a multiplayer-focused game, not keeping up denies you part of the essential experience. Anyone who doesn't upgrade is left behind by those who do. Heck, a few people in this thread have said that they're only upgrading for social purposes.

Perhaps you understand that map packs aren't needed to play? Thus, how does this raise the base price of the game to $100? If you count DLC as part of the base price...that's just...not right. Unless they FORCED IT into rotation for everyone, like they did in 4 and 5.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Crunchy English said:
Not required, as long as you don't mind having your player base decimated. In a single player game, DLC is an optional extra. In a multiplayer-focused game, not keeping up denies you part of the essential experience. Anyone who doesn't upgrade is left behind by those who do. Heck, a few people in this thread have said that they're only upgrading for social purposes.
True, but there are indeed still plenty of smart people NOT getting it, too.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
As an outside observer who doesn't really give a crap about Modern Warfare 2[footnote]I shan't abbreviate it, as "MW2" is now and shall forever be Mechwarrior 2, praise be to Battletech. Now get off my lawn whippersnapper![/footnote], I'm content to watch, and mock, and laugh. A paltry 5 maps... for 15 dollars - that is institutionalized highway robbery, and it's almost painful (but still kind of funny) to see people actually paying for that.

See, on the PC, with any non-intentionally-crippled FPS, if developers/publishers tried to pull that crap they would just be laughed at, and the mod community would resume making their own damn maps for free - if you want PC gamers to pay for your "professional" maps, they better be bundled with something of substance. 5 new maps is the sort of thing you get for free.

Which is why it's so tragic(ly funny) that the console audience - existing as they do without a viable alternative for content additions and thus 100% reliant upon official DLC - are collectively being sodomized by Activision and then thanking them for it. You can't even really blame Activision - sure, they're malevolent money devouring robots devoid of human compassion, but they can't take your money away unless you ask them to. And they're never ever going to stop, because all the people who bought their ridiculously overpriced "content expansions" have aptly demonstrated they can get away with that level of predatory pricing without any repercussions.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Legion said:
I don't care when a developer brings new maps, but it pisses me off when they deliberately leave out maps they had in the last game just so they can bring them out again and re-charge people for them.
'Deliberately leave out maps'? What? Did you expect them to include all the CoD 4 maps free of charge on launch?

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Legion said:
I don't care when a developer brings new maps, but it pisses me off when they deliberately leave out maps they had in the last game just so they can bring them out again and re-charge people for them.

I am glad I don't play MW2 to be honest, I also wish Epic hadn't done it with Gears of War 2, and Bungie with Halo 3.
I cannot blame Bungie because it was the fans that wanted it. Bungie delivered. Activision however...are jerks.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Quetzalcoatl... This is ridiculous.
I refused to buy the first DLC, and now that Activision's given me enough of a moral ground (Even if the whole IW thing's been resolved) not to buy it, and 15's bloody ridiculous for them, I most definitely refuse.
Though I will take advantage of the inevitable Double EXP week that comes with it if I decide to prestige.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Maybe they could announce a $10 pack, with 4 new maps...or something like that. Hell, that's what Treyarch did. 3 new versus maps with each pack, and 1 new zombie map with each pack. Replace the zombie maps with a few spec op missions and BAM, there you go.

Ah. I sold my game to Amazon for $30 last weekend anyway. Not too shabby, considering I bought it for $40 from Amazon during the Christmas sale.
So... you sold it at the combined price for the Map packs?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Crunchy English said:
Ok guys, this is ridiculous. Taxes in, you're looking at a $100 dollar FPS. That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Imagine if they'd sold it that way boxed?!

The fact of the matter is that this game may have been well-designed, it may look good but it is just one shooter in a sea of shooters. The only thing that sets it apart is hype and Activision's amazingly effective tactics of squeezing customers dry. Hang up of these sonsofbitches and find something else to play!
Perhaps you understand that map packs aren't needed to play? Thus, how does this raise the base price of the game to $100? If you count DLC as part of the base price...that's just...not right. Unless they FORCED IT into rotation for everyone, like they did in 4 and 5.
Onyx, would you mind sharing a little of the backstory? I mean, I was under the impression that the MW2 maps were being forced into rotation (not playing, and barely caring, I haven't verified yet).

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Na-huh, sorry, guys, doesn't cut if for me.
Especially when you made the main part of my favorite studio leave.
Thanks, but no, thanks.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
im just wondering with all these maps would it dilute the pool? i mean i download the pack the day it came out (ps3) and have only touched overgrown maybe twice in rotation since it came out.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Starke said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Crunchy English said:

Onyx, would you mind sharing a little of the backstory? I mean, I was under the impression that the MW2 maps were being forced into rotation (not playing, and barely caring, I haven't verified yet).
In 4 and WaW, maps were indeed forced into rotation, and players without them were forced out of lobbies. As far as I know with MW2, the game checks whether you have it or not when matchmaking, and matches you with other players who don't have it, too. I could be wrong, as I don't have the game anymore.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Maybe they could announce a $10 pack, with 4 new maps...or something like that. Hell, that's what Treyarch did. 3 new versus maps with each pack, and 1 new zombie map with each pack. Replace the zombie maps with a few spec op missions and BAM, there you go.

Ah. I sold my game to Amazon for $30 last weekend anyway. Not too shabby, considering I bought it for $40 from Amazon during the Christmas sale.
So... you sold it at the combined price for the Map packs?
Yeah, actually. But I don't give a shit about the map packs, which I bought neither of, so I can put that $30 to better use.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well... I'm not exactly poor and Vacant is one of my favorites...

Make way peasants, I and all the other millions of MW2 fans are getting this (bizarrely enough, you probably will too. Just you'll ***** to high heaven, which is fair enough I guess).

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
It's sad that there are people who are willing to spend that much money on so little content.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
ENKC said:
Legion said:
'Deliberately leave out maps'? What? Did you expect them to include all the CoD 4 maps free of charge on launch?
Of course. The maps are already made are they not? Should they leave out the guns and game-modes from the game too and then release them again for players?

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Legion said:
ENKC said:
Legion said:
Of course. The maps are already made are they not? Should they leave out the guns and game-modes from the game too and then release them again for players?
You do know its a sequel, right? It is by no means standard to include all content from previous games in a sequel.