Modern Warfare 3 Beats Avatar's Fastest-Selling Record

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sixcess said:
Anyone else see the irony in singleplayer games going subscription based while MMOs drop that model?

COD is about 99% multiplayer-based. 30-40% don't even play the single player part.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Korten12 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I still can't believe people are paying for what is just bungie.net just to get a slight discount for that over priced DLC, it's still not fucking worth it is it? One million people in the world took an arrow to the knee

Anyway, I enjoy CoD too, but to place it on such a high pedestal because of sales figures... it just proves what is wrong with these people.
Um... Elite is mostly free, and you don't get a discount, you get it for FREE. Geez if you're going to insult it, at least get your facts straight.
Enlighten me, how much DLC do you get for FREE when you pay for a years worth of Elite. 4-5 packs? costing $15 each? equalling to $60-$80? Still over priced for the 'content' if you ask me.

I may be completely wrong here, but do tell me.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Korten12 said:
What SP games are going sub? Also Elite is for the multiplayer.
MiracleOfSound said:
COD is about 99% multiplayer-based. 30-40% don't even play the single player part.
True, but a year ago the idea of CoD having any kind of subscription was laughed at. Now it's been instantly and easily accepted. With so many games now having some multiplayer component it's only a matter of time before paying extra for that becomes the norm, and from there it's only a short step towards subscriptions for offline/singleplayer content as well.

If Elite had a low take up rate that might have been put off for another few years, but now...? The floodgates are opening.

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
Korten12 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I still can't believe people are paying for what is just bungie.net just to get a slight discount for that over priced DLC, it's still not fucking worth it is it? One million people in the world took an arrow to the knee

Anyway, I enjoy CoD too, but to place it on such a high pedestal because of sales figures... it just proves what is wrong with these people.
Um... Elite is mostly free, and you don't get a discount, you get it for FREE. Geez if you're going to insult it, at least get your facts straight.
Enlighten me, how much DLC do you get for FREE when you pay for a years worth of Elite. 4-5 packs? costing $15 each? equalling to $60-$80? Still over priced for the 'content' if you ask me.

"More Content than Ever, with 20 Pieces of New MW3 DLC
New monthly DLC released over 9 months, so you Always have Something New to Play
More Variety than Ever, with New MP Maps, Spec Ops, Missions, Game Modes & More"

Taken from http://www.callofduty.com/elite/whats-included.html

Not exactly sure what they plan to even charge for them this time so I don't really now how much you may save with Elite if you plan on getting them all anyway :p

Stemer

Nov 22, 2011
Guys this is great.
You know how extra credits and the rest of the games are art bunch keep talking about gaming being accepted as a medium and what have you.
This is that moment, the day games truly give films a serious run for there money and out compete them.
Seriously guys captain price is our generations Rambo.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Korten12 said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Every month you get DLC, so $50 for elite, and DLC is $15, so that's roughly 3 pieces of DLC if you pay without Elite. With Elite, you get all the DLC for free which is way more then 3, and you get to keep the DLC even if you unsub.

Sixcess said:
Korten12 said:
What SP games are going sub? Also Elite is for the multiplayer.
MiracleOfSound said:
True, but a year ago the idea of CoD having any kind of subscription was laughed at. Now it's been instantly and easily accepted. With so many games now having some multiplayer component it's only a matter of time before paying extra for that becomes the norm, and from there it's only a short step towards subscriptions for offline/singleplayer content as well.

If Elite had a low take up rate that might have been put off for another few years, but now...? The floodgates are opening.
But Elite is still optional, it's not like you lose access to parts of the game without it.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Okay, I know CoD is ridiculously successful, but did anybody notice that we're comparing raw dollars here? Given that an Avatar ticket cost $10-$15 depending on your theatre and whether you saw it in 3D or not, and CoD costs $60, I think CoD has a bit of advantage on the pure dollar amount scale. Not that this isn't a big milestone for them to hit, but I'd be more interested in the actual number of sales vs. tickets for Avatar for something like this.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
Huh. Moral of the story is apparently that James Cameron should re-release Avatar every year with slightly better CGI.
I hate all the Avatar hate.

I hate all the CoD hate.

But that was fucking hilarious. Kudos, sir.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
wooty said:
Once I get over the mass amounts of shock regarding this revelation I can go back to not giving a toss anymore....................Avatar was crap too, noticing a pattern here people
Yeh what i was gonna say basically. And adding that I didn't go see Avatar (and STILL havent seen it!) and same deal here, haven't played Mw3 and honestly can't tell the cod/mw/bf series from each other or what the difference is. Only one I ever played was cod4 and liked the campaign in that but multi wasn't my cup of tea.

Anyways, gratz kotick i guess.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
ShockValue said:
"More Content than Ever, with 20 Pieces of New MW3 DLC
New monthly DLC released over 9 months, so you Always have Something New to Play
More Variety than Ever, with New MP Maps, Spec Ops, Missions, Game Modes & More"

Taken from http://www.callofduty.com/elite/whats-included.html

Not exactly sure what they plan to even charge for them this time so I don't really now how much you may save with Elite if you plan on getting them all anyway :p
I love how unspecific that all is. Except how much (I think) they charge you up front which is the price of a brand new game.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Korten12 said:
Every month you get DLC, so $50 for elite, and DLC is $15, so that's roughly 3 pieces of DLC if you pay without Elite. With Elite, you get all the DLC for free which is way more then 3, and you get to keep the DLC even if you unsub.
Any specifics on what that DLC is and how much content it will add? Because if it's 4-6 maps every month, then it may just be worth it, depending how much you play it.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Korten12 said:
Any specifics on what that DLC is and how much content it will add? Because if it's 4-6 maps every month, then it may just be worth it, depending how much you play it.
From Elite's site it says:

"More Content than Ever, with 20 Pieces of New MW3 DLC,

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Ya, let's see if people are still playing MW thirty years from now.

They won't be.

If it were anyone else, I'd be shocked at the hubris of comparing your flash in the pan to long term successes like Star Wars and Harry Potter, but this is the Kotick. So it was actually surprisingly humble.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
How are the profits measured? Is this counting full price or profit? Because surely its easier for games to reach such milestones because they are sold around 6 times as much as movie tickets in the US and around 5 times as much in the UK.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Korten12 said:
From Elite's site it says:

"More Content than Ever, with 20 Pieces of New MW3 DLC,
So that's a no then. 20 New pieces of DLC over the 9 month period could just mean 20 new MP maps.