Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Every Sales Record Known to Man

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I dislike CoD because I got spoiled by BF 1942. Wide open maps and jeeps to traverse them... So much fun...

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I dislike CoD because I got spoiled by BF 1942. Wide open maps and jeeps to traverse them... So much fun...

SneeringCanuck

Nov 17, 2011
Gold plated cocaine for everyone at Activision!

I honestly didn't expect this, I knew it would sell great, but I had my doubts about it beating MW2. I'll probably get myself a copy once used versions start appearing in stores.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Meanwhile on the PC...

I get why CoD still sells well on consoles, it's pretty finely tuned there. On PC though I think Call of Duty has done its dash. I had a friend compare it to "one of those free Korean shooters", I've heard from people who previously wouldn't hear a bad word about it drawing a complete blank as to what they liked about it. I guess they thought that with the added competition and the conclusion to the current story arc that Infinity Ward would actually try for this one instead of delivering the same old popular and mildly entertaining mush. But the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different results and the few people who are desperately insisting that there is still value in each yearly edition of Call of Duty are beginning to look pretty crazy to me.

Call of Duty won't change its formular until the next generation of consoles, and even then it'll probably just get a freash lick of paint. If people legitimately like the franchise I'm not stopping anyone but to those who defend CoD 11 months of the year and complain the other month, (mostly PC gamers,) just give up.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Jegsimmons said:
titanic, avatar, dark of the moon, and COD4.3.....why does shit keep makeing money while good stuff like scott pilgrim, thin red line, APB, and a whole list of others that are actually really good bomb?

fucking sheep to the slaughter.

remember when halo3 was the biggest launch ever? it basically broke xbox live for a day and was innovative with great characters, gameplay, multiplayer, custom-ability, and so much other features it blew our fucking minds? those were the days......COD 4 wasnt even out yet....
Judging from your avatar, you probably won't listen to a word I say but...

Every argument for CoD can be made for Halo. A moderate graphics upgrade with a short story basing itself heavily on the Multiplayer. Each game brings new weapons, gear, and tactical options while not changing anything important.

OT: What most people forget, is that people don't move on because they love the idea of a new game. They move on because their friends do, and keeping the group together is important.

Why listen to the complaining when you're having fun with friends?
um...what does my avatar have to do with me listening? and just so you know, i read and acknowledged your entire piece. And with all due respect, allow me to counter point.

Even if one believes or argues that halo is just a rehash more than likely can't back it up with valid examples while at the same time argue for CODMW3.
While yes, Halo is known for its multiplayer, calling it the same as the previous is almost entirely wrong. in every new game (aside anniversary mind you) the multiplayer is given a huge redo by adding more modes, new maps (and not that lazy mix and match ALOT of games are guilty of doing, even BFBC which i like is guilty of this), new character designs, GORGEOUS art work, different hud options (such as switching from halo 2 and 3's regen health to use of medkits again), improve quality in matchmaking, addition to forge mode, theater, and custom games which adds a near infinite amount of fun you can have limited only by your imagination. And bungie (and by extension 343) is one of the most fan friendly companies out there right next to valve.

On the campaign side, i believe Halo is one of the best sci-fi universes since star wars, yeah halo 3 was formulaic, but it made up for it with interesting characters, BEAUTIFUL music, and a sense of what was going on was indeed epic. and ODST shook things up and expanded the universe a little bit and Halo reach was just pure fun and added another perspective towards the covenant human war. and lets not forget the books and comics which are really damn good.(halo legends and halo wars are not really canon, and halo legends just doesn't need to exist, at least halo wars FELT like it was in the halo universe)

So thats why i like halo, it treats me with respect so i give it respect.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
M920CAIN said:
What about inflation?!
that IS an important factor, games are 20 bucks more than what they were back in 2004.
like with avatar being the highest grossing movie (shudder) but when adjusting for inflation its only like number 14 (the top one being gone with the wind which is good and star wars a new hope which speaks for its self.)

thats why i say with games we measure on how many COPIES it sells.

Jdb

May 26, 2010
I used to think Modern Warfare is the most boring shooter ever because it's Unreal Tournament without dodging and cool weapons. But after seeing this review my mind did a 360! Modern Warfare 3 is awesome. Probably one of the greatest, if not the greatest shooter (game?) ever! People aren't liking it because it's the 'in' thing to do.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
There's got to be a "1 out of X-amount of people bought MW3" ratio out there somewhere...

..I'm curious what it is, because I personally don't know anyone that bought it.

Nothing lasts forever... I wonder when this series with jump the shark. I'm thinking it won't be much longer. Where do you go after starting WW3? Yeah you could do WW4.. 5... so on... but really?

Oops... I keep forgetting.. it's mostly popular because of multiplayer... which is why I won't shell out $60 for it... I guess that's all they really need to release... I'm babbling now.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Archangel357 said:
Iwata said:
The sheer amount of bandwagon hoppers astounds me.

The games are by no means the pinnacle of gaming, but here's a newsflash: they are actually GOOD GAMES! And good games tend to sell a lot, because, and I know this may sound weird, people have fun playing them!

This does not in any way stop you from enjoying your own favorite games, so by all means, ignore it, and move on. I am in no way a hardcore CoD fan, but I must say that at this point, the unjustified bitching wears thin.
So? People have fun watching NASCAR, professional wrestling and Michael Bay movies.

I once got into trouble on here because somebody made the argument that the drivel that is the Twilight series must be good, because the books were so popular.

Same thing. EXACTLY the same thing.
oh come on, NASCAR is actually entertaining....well it was until about 3 years ago when they got the pussy cars instead of the hard core steel framed mother fuckers that caused earthquakes when they revved them. Also, Dale Earnhardt Jr.....win a fucking race for once.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Tin Man said:
Michael Hirst said:
I'm going to go boot up my SNES emulator and hide away in the 90's for a few more years. Call me out once we get some fun original games? kthnxbai
Okami, Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, the original Gears of War, the original Halo, Kirbys return to Dream Land, Bastion... I really could go on for dozens of titles.

Gamers like you annoy me a little dude I have to say. Fact is, a LOT of games back then sucked balls we were all just much easier to please.
It's called hyperbole, I'm perfectly aware that good games do come out but I have to say that the FPS genre is getting a little frail and very predictable. Hell I love Dark Souls, Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, Bastion, Amnesia, Assassins Creed 2, Ratchet and Clank and thats just some random current gen stuff.

tl:dr FPS games are getting boring as hell save for some indie titles, rest of gaming is pretty decent, was just poking fun.

PS I recently discovered Mega Man X and have been playing a lot of that, also playing through UN Squadron.

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
So, numerical proof isn't enough for the haters?
It's okay that you don't like the game, you're entitled to that opinion, but to claim that people who do like it are "tasteless" or "unintelligent" is a step too far.
The game averaged great reviews and has out sold every game ever, yet it still receives a significant amount of hatred... I just can't wrap my head around this.

Burn2Feel

Jan 20, 2010
Oh look, a positive post about MW3. What do I spy in the comments? 90% hate (most of which is recurring crap), 10% "it's ok". Can the internet move on now?

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
The Cheezy One said:
I liked it. People buy it and enjoy it. Accept these things and stop being stuck up. Shooting people in a plane that is in freefall, giving the illusion of no gravity, is an experience I do not have often.

Now, tell me I am wrong about my own opinion.
I'm with you on your opinion dude. No where in the title did it say "MW3 declared best game ever"
and suddenly people take this as an opportunity to bash it.
Is it mediocre? Yes
Is it wrong for someone to like it? No
Is it surprising something like this topped every type of sales? Not really.

I may not enjoy Call of Duty. Sorry I'm a Hack and Slash player, but I can respect the fact that Call of Duty MW3 has Surpassed Halo in popularity and may have even surpassed the Popularity of the Beatles or God for that Matter.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Burn2Feel said:
Oh look, a positive post about MW3. What do I spy in the comments? 90% hate (most of which is recurring crap), 10% "it's ok". Can the internet move on now?
Ha! Finally someone calls out The Escapist and its conceited posts

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
bjj hero said:
It amazes me that when a game sells well everyone comes out to hate it. With stories of developers folding every couple of weeks its nice to hear of some success in vidoegames.

MW3 offers a slick, tight and well balanced multiplayer game. The game feels right, the perks and weapons seem far more balanced. Hardcore kill confirmed is also a godsend as it cuts the camping in half.

You dont have to like it, I personally dont do racing games, that doesnt mean I want forza et al. to bomb. Were talking about peoples livelyhoods.

TL:DR

Haters gonna hate.
You're not really wrong, and no one should be bashing anyone for liking Call of Duty. I think the problem most people would have is that gamers seem to like Call of Duty well and beyond anything else. Call of Duty wouldn't sell if it wasn't a good game, but high sales also encourage copy cat behaviors and influence the direction of the industry. Looking at it from this angle, Call of Duty is not exactly a shining beacon of hope when it comes to guiding the industry, unless you're looking at investor's profit margins. You say you don't want to see games bomb as it's people's livelihoods at stake, so if that's the case then you'd probably want to see CoD sales cut in half and the money spent elsewhere on other games. Bobby Kotick isn't going to re-invest those profits for the benefit of the industry, he's taking it straight to the bank laughing all the way.