Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Every Sales Record Known to Man

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
cdstephens said:
Mr Somewhere said:
Catalyst6 said:
Mr Somewhere said:
Catalyst6 said:
Perhaps now everyone will have to admit that CoD, while not exactly original, is actually fun and worth playing.

*checks forum postings*
NOPE.jpg
That's a very poor argument. There's nothing wrong with a vocal minority.
Hopefully the end is in sight, Skyrim seems to be doing rather well, while not my cup of tea, it at least indicates a change of sorts in mainstream tastes, I hope so at any rate.
Or it could lead to a slew of bland fantasy games every odd month.
There's nothing wrong with the vocal minority, but there has to come a point when everyone sits back, has a nice cup of tea, and realize that just because they aren't fond of a game that doesn't mean that it's a pile of crap.

Yes, the game isn't very original. But it's fun, and I enjoyed it. Not the Game of the Year, but it's decent enough. But seriously, look at the first page of this thread. The game doesn't deserve that.
Yes it's bothersome, and no the game doesn't deserve it, but it's better to let people just express themselves and move on. There's a tad too much vitriol in the gaming community, hopefully we'll all grow out of it.

Though, I think a certain level of cynicism is justified, if the franchise has any hope of surviving at this level, a fair amount of innovation is going to be required.
That's only assuming someone else decides to innovate. If no one comes up with something new and exciting, CoD will be seen as the best.

Giving the amount of innovation in the FPS market in recent years, I don't have high hopes.
You never know, maybe Activision will have learned something after that Guitar Hero debacle. It would spell disaster for them to make the same mistake twice.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
It's not a great game but it is a good game in a lot of peoples opinion therefore it sold well. Stop be stuck up snubs and just let everyone else just enjoy the games they wish too.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Archangel357 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Never! The Sun Rises!

But yeah, I agree. I don't hate CoD, hell, It's my favourite multiplayer FPS, but compared to other game I've played, it's just a distraction.

It's like going to a restaurant and ordering a glass of water and a slice of bread, when there are far better things on the menu.
...AND paying the same that you would pay for an entrecôte and a great red wine.

AnarchistFish said:
Except those kinds of people don't want to check out other games.
Bingo. Most MW fans I know would probably call me a "fa**ot" for actually preferring games with some artistic merit. "Dude, you can't headshot n00bs in Heavy Rain or Shadow of the Colossus! What kind of f*g plays those games?"

We live in a world where marketing and hype trump quality and originality every time.
That doesn't justify hating the game. If you hate the ignorance the people give you for liking your preferred games, then hate the person not the game. CoD doesn't breed disrespect and ignorance. People do. Also, it's pretty clear you play for the escapism of games, so what the !"#¤%& are you doing online. Get that gorgeous ass over to Mass Effect and have a good time.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
ZehMadScientist said:
I think MW3 is a fun game. I really do. But I don't think that it is nearly as good as the sales imply it is. Oh well, can't do much about it can we?
This. I don't see why so many people think it's awful just because it's very similar to the previous games.
The way I see it is that Call of Duty as a whole is a subscription based game where every year you pay 60 dollars (I don't actually play any subscription based games).
I haven't actually bought it or the last one because there are other games that I'd rather have. But my roommate bought it and I must say that it is quite fun.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
Well-marketed shit is still shit Kotick.
Except that the game isn't sh*t.

Is it the earthly manifestation of christ? No, but it's definitely not sh*t.

Also CoD doesn't sell well because it's marketed well. It sells well because of the bandwagon effect. It's the same reason that every new iteration of iPhone sells better than the previous one (despite the fact that the previous models also set sales records individually), despite the lack of improvement on several of them.

I personally enjoyed Modern Warfare 3 and thought it was very good entertainment for my money (and i don't even play the Multi-player besides the Co-Op missions with my mate), but i can find games i like more.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
ravensshade said:
am i surprised? nope..
should i have been surprised? yes
i mean i've seen the game being played.. and its still the same..
it's like how fifa manages to keep doing well///
I love your avatar, i really hope that soon it will spawn the meme of "Bucketed." Also I thought that the last Fifa was rather good, but yes, not good enough to warrant annual purchase.

twm1709 said:
Wow, I wonder if there is any limit to the ammount of money Call of duty can make. Every year, it shatters previous records like they're nothing. By this rate, Modern Warfare 7 will make enough money to buy Mars.
What's the going rate for Mars right now? I heard back in the nineties it was rather pricey, but I'm guessing it's going price has been hit somewhat by the credit crunch.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
So, to sum it up, this is pretty much the justification of terrible industry practices waiting to happen, and will only encourage more excessive marketing and monopolization.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Geneforge is unknown. So is Avernum. The Binding of Isaac scares people away. Yume Nikki is shrugged at. So is The Path. Darwinia has been forgotten. Uplink apparently never existed. Etc. I LOVED THE CRAP OUT OF ALL THESE GAMES.

Minecraft is an anomaly. Braid had an enormous budget with a good amount of hype. Not sure about Bastion yet. But it's quite interesting how you name three of the most famous indie games that can barely be called indie anymore.

I'm just upset that games I love are generally unknown and/or disliked, and War Shooter 137 is the one that sets the sales records. I hate war shooters, not a single one has impressed me and I can barely tell them apart when I do play. Why can't we embrace something different just for once? For me?
I agree with you for the most part but I would like to point out that Geneforge and Avernum are made by Spiderweb, a company who can basically be summed up as "Make games for Mac, maybe make a Windows version later." and as for The Binding of Isaac...well, let's just say "lack of any form of checkpoint system and can only fire in 4 directions" and leave it at that.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Sneaky-Pie said:
"I don't like the game, therefore it must be bad."

Seriously everyone? Get off your elitist high-horse.

At least be happy that the medium of video games is having such a significant impact world-wide.
Agreed, but unfortunately this is the vibe I get in a lot of threads here. I personally don't really pay attention to, or acknowledge sales, I mean why should I bother if it has no effect on my enjoyment of games whatsoever.

I know this is bad, but in a way I'm glad MW3 broke records, that way I can silently watch, and enjoy things unravel from the sidelines, watching so many people get so worked up over nothing.

OT: No MW3 for me yet, maybe at Christmas when I have the money, but I am sure that when I do get it I will enjoy it, I've seen game play of it, it looks good. But for now up until then it is all about Fifa 12, Battlefield 3 and Skyrim for me.

Congrats to them though, despite all the hate it is getting you can't really deny it isn't a great achievement for them.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Aeshi said:
lacktheknack said:
Geneforge is unknown. So is Avernum. The Binding of Isaac scares people away. Yume Nikki is shrugged at. So is The Path. Darwinia has been forgotten. Uplink apparently never existed. Etc. I LOVED THE CRAP OUT OF ALL THESE GAMES.

Minecraft is an anomaly. Braid had an enormous budget with a good amount of hype. Not sure about Bastion yet. But it's quite interesting how you name three of the most famous indie games that can barely be called indie anymore.

I'm just upset that games I love are generally unknown and/or disliked, and War Shooter 137 is the one that sets the sales records. I hate war shooters, not a single one has impressed me and I can barely tell them apart when I do play. Why can't we embrace something different just for once? For me?
I agree with you for the most part but I would like to point out that Geneforge and Avernum are made by Spiderweb, a company who can basically be summed up as "Make games for Mac, maybe make a Windows version later." and as for The Binding of Isaac...well, let's just say "lack of any form of checkpoint system and can only fire in 4 directions" and leave it at that.
Except that all of Spiderweb Software's games have been ported. So I see no issue.

Also, I can say "you picked the wrong genre" for Binding of Isaac. It's an extremely approachable dungeon crawler, heaven help you if you try the older ones. (I'm glad TBOI has no checkpoint system, its part of its appeal.)

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
krazykidd said:
Vankraken said:
Hmm if they can make 700+ million at launch every year re-releasing the same game...... what if they instead do the same every 6 months.... and have 2 15 dollar DLC packs with 2-4 map each and reuse map elements or just completely reuse maps from the previous releases.... and have new DLC camo skins at 10 dollars each...... and peripherals, gotta have peripherals. So much money to be made.
This is a great idea actually . You should email them a letter telling them to do this. With you infaillable logic , they will certainly do it .

Then in 1 year , everyone that likes CoD will be sick of it and the series will die . Just as planned!
Absolutely, and once the Modern Military Shooter genre is bleed dry they can move on to capitalizing on to some sort of open sandbox superhero action adventure game with "competitive" multiplayer and a constant shower of super powers and experience points for everything from blasting somebody with eye lasers to picking lint out from your pockets.

Activision is going to be rolling in so much money that Kotick can literally become Scrooge McDuck and swim in a vault of gold coins (if he hasn't already).

WittyName

Jan 3, 2009
Can't really say this surprises me. It's a shame, the first Modern Warfare was good, but it seems to have just gone downhill.

I think I'll stick to Flashpoint: Red River, that's still a hell of a fun game.