Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Every Sales Record Known to Man

MrLumber

Jan 13, 2009
Its odd people still defend CoD simply because people like it and for whatever reason feel as though public opinion matters. The public's perception of quality will, for the most part, always be of very low standards. The main indicator of this is that when asked WHY people like things the can rarely assess what exactly they like about things. (Examples of poor public taste: Dubstep, Transformers, etc.)

On the topic of CoD specifically, perhaps its not fair for me to judge, but my friends who have played simply say its more of the same, and the same wasn't very good to begin with.

Edit: As an addendum: The reason why popular things that are of poor (or simply mediocre) quality should actually receive a lot of hate is that due to the nature of consumerism more worthy producers will not get the support they deserve for creating a better product.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
It may be selling well, but i know ALOT of hardcore COD players that have traded it in to get other games...

And now i wish i didn't get this =\

Never again am i getting a COD game...it'll be be a hard struggle, but i will prevail!

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
I think it is safe to say we have reached a point where gaming has its Justin Bieber something really mediocre and uninventive that is really popular. and just like Justin Bieber if it does become unpopular something equally rubbish will take its place just a fact of life i'm afraid.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
What is wrong with you people? Seriously. It's the same bloody game, only you know more pretentious and more shit.

Arppis

May 28, 2011
Irridium said:
And yet they still can't shell out some money for decent multiplayer servers.
Yeah, THIS!

What the hell, really? But I guess it would cost money and they are afraid they will run out of it. XD

Oh and I really liked the game. Even when it was more of MW2, which I also liked better than MW1's infinitely respawning enemies. Worst gameplay decission ever... well almost.

Silenttalker22

Dec 21, 2010
No one said COD wasn't fun (OK a few people did). But most are upset that something that is basically made fun by other people, not because the game did anything to make itself fun, is the ambassador, and to some the pinnacle, of gaming.

I'd much rather it be something like Fallout or Mass Effect. Something with enough pretty lights to where the outsiders can look at it and be impressed, but also show something that shows what games can create when they try, i.e. a war-torn landscape or an interactive futuristic civilization. So now the increasingly popular image of a gamer is some dude yelling at his COD team.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Sneaky-Pie said:
"I don't like the game, therefore it must be bad."

Seriously everyone? Get off your elitist high-horse.

At least be happy that the medium of video games is having such a significant impact world-wide.
They won't. CoD is streamlining videogames and making them more popular with people. Many of them are people that nerds, geeks, whatever stigma they lie under, (want to) distance themselves from. Their hate for the game is their justification to further distance themselves from these people. At least from what I see. (See also Casual gamers vs. Hardcore gamers)

OT: Not exactly surprised. Anyone slightly integrated in the gaming community knows that CoD sells like you'd think they were giving it away for free.

But it's good. It means more money to Activision, and more games to come.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Midnight Crossroads said:
Corporal Yakob said:
Now use that money to make a COD set during WW2 from the Axis point of view!
Considering how Infinity Ward and Treyarch have been constantly trying to outdo the shocks from their last game, that's actually possible.

I would love that game.
I've lost count of the amount of times I've ranted and raged for such a game, it would bring a much needed refreshing change to the genre as well as a huge opportunity for emotional investment-for far too long have we been Washington Ulysis Patriot Everyman mowing down waves of cartoon Nazis and Japs.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Catalyst6 said:
Perhaps now everyone will have to admit that CoD, while not exactly original, is actually fun and worth playing.

*checks forum postings*
NOPE.jpg
That's a very poor argument. There's nothing wrong with a vocal minority.
Hopefully the end is in sight, Skyrim seems to be doing rather well, while not my cup of tea, it at least indicates a change of sorts in mainstream tastes, I hope so at any rate.
Or it could lead to a slew of bland fantasy games every odd month.

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
Cataclysm sold 3.3 million copies on the first day, and has millions of subscribers paying 15 dollars every month to them. This is more impressive than CoD's sales imo because WoW brings in a strong, steady stream of income and also has huge bursts of income when a new expansion is released, whereas CoD only has the huge burst of income.

*Remembers that Blizzard is a part of Activision*

HOLY SHIT THAT'S SO MUCH MONEY

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Mr Somewhere said:
Catalyst6 said:
Perhaps now everyone will have to admit that CoD, while not exactly original, is actually fun and worth playing.

*checks forum postings*
NOPE.jpg
Hopefully the end is in sight, Skyrim seems to be doing rather well, while not my cup of tea, it at least indicates a change of sorts in mainstream tastes, I hope so at any rate.
There's nothing wrong with the vocal minority, but there has to come a point when everyone sits back, has a nice cup of tea, and realize that just because they aren't fond of a game that doesn't mean that it's a pile of crap.

Yes, the game isn't very original. But it's fun, and I enjoyed it. Not the Game of the Year, but it's decent enough. But seriously, look at the first page of this thread. The game doesn't deserve that.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Catalyst6 said:
Mr Somewhere said:
Catalyst6 said:

*checks forum postings*
NOPE.jpg
There's nothing wrong with the vocal minority, but there has to come a point when everyone sits back, has a nice cup of tea, and realize that just because they aren't fond of a game that doesn't mean that it's a pile of crap.

Yes, the game isn't very original. But it's fun, and I enjoyed it. Not the Game of the Year, but it's decent enough. But seriously, look at the first page of this thread. The game doesn't deserve that.
Yes it's bothersome, and no the game doesn't deserve it, but it's better to let people just express themselves and move on. There's a tad too much vitriol in the gaming community, hopefully we'll all grow out of it.

Though, I think a certain level of cynicism is justified, if the franchise has any hope of surviving at this level, a fair amount of innovation is going to be required.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I'll use a beer metaphor. Coors, Bud, most any kind of major american beer, excluding Sam Adams, is popular because it has no flavor in it that might offend anyone. MW3 is the Budweiser of videogames, popular but people who prefer other things HATE it.

As to the reason I won't play online much, I'm just much better at BF. Also, it's kind of fun to lead your team in points and only have 5 kills.

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
Mr Somewhere said:
Catalyst6 said:
Mr Somewhere said:
Catalyst6 said:

*checks forum postings*
NOPE.jpg

Yes it's bothersome, and no the game doesn't deserve it, but it's better to let people just express themselves and move on. There's a tad too much vitriol in the gaming community, hopefully we'll all grow out of it.

Though, I think a certain level of cynicism is justified, if the franchise has any hope of surviving at this level, a fair amount of innovation is going to be required.
That's only assuming someone else decides to innovate. If no one comes up with something new and exciting, CoD will be seen as the best.

Giving the amount of innovation in the FPS market in recent years, I don't have high hopes.