Modern Warfare 3 Spec Ops Mode Gets "Phenomenal" Response

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modern Warfare 3 Spec Ops Mode Gets "Phenomenal" Response

It's like fighting zombies. Zombies with guns ... and helicopters.

Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling says that there has been a "phenomenal" response to the early builds of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3's Spec Ops mode. Speaking to Major League Gaming during E3, he explained some of the mode's features, and said that it now incorporated some of the best elements from Call of Duty's multiplayer

Just as with the previous games, Modern Warfare 3's Spec Ops mode features mission-based gameplay on the game's single player maps. This time, however, there is also a survival mode where the player fights wave after wave of enemy soldiers on game's multiplayer maps. The survival mode has been compared to the zombie modes found in Treyarch's Call of Duty games, although obviously with an extra level of complexity. Zombies can't pilot helicopter gunships, for example.

When our intrepid reporters tried out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110818-E3-Modern-Warfare-3] Modern Warfare 3's Spec Ops at E3, they called it a "combination of everything that makes [Modern Warfare] multiplayer great, funneled into a challenging horde mode," and it seems like plenty of other people have had a similar reaction. You'll be able to see if it lives up to the hype when the game comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/311835/news/public-response-to-modern-warfare-3-spec-ops-phenomenal/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
but it is bad, remember, because it is Call of Duty!

/sarcasm

This game is going to be great, can't wait to play the campaign most of all though :)

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
My friend is going to be all over this. He didn't care for zombies too much, but liked going up against a bunch of bots on hardened in combat training on Black Ops. So I'd imagine this'll appeal to him much better.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Korten12 said:
Sounds great.

Let the COD hate begin...
TheRightToArmBears said:
Fuck the haters, this sounds awesome! Do want!
C95J said:
but it is bad, remember, because it is Call of Duty!

/sarcasm

This game is going to be great, can't wait to play the campaign most of all though :)
The lack of irrational hate in this thread after three posts is just... inspiring :)

Knowing my friend and I, we'll have a blast with this even if it's only just as good as MW2's Spec Ops.

Definitely looking forward to this.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
*thinks for a moment*
Who did this first?
Halo 3: ODST or someone else?

Anyway, I personally prefer the idea of zombies because that's more 'realistic' (ha. CoD? Realism? XD) that you're trapped until death rather than last man standing stuff with hundreds of soldiers...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I still plan on watching a Let's Play of MW3's campaign, cuz if it's anything like Black Ops' campaign it can fuck right off. The lack of pacing crucified that game for me

So it seems to be 1 part good (coop) to 2 parts bad/uninteresting (campaign and MP)

Still no plans on buying this due to simple mathematical logic.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
It would be a more tempting prospect if it was more than two-player. Same went for Spec Ops in MW2; they could have made it so much bigger and had more variety of missions if they'd allowed for it to be more than just two-person co-op. Still, I think it'll be worth a shot at a friend's.

Edit: And I'm glad its not another Zombie mode; that just isn't as fun as it used to, considering the gameplay hasn't change at all.

Desaari

Feb 24, 2009
Chrono212 said:
*thinks for a moment*
Who did this first?
I remember it being in Aliens vs Predator so it's been around at least 10 years before ODST, and was almost certainly done before that.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Desaari said:
Chrono212 said:
*thinks for a moment*
Who did this first?
I remember it being in Aliens vs Predator so it's been around at least 10 years before ODST, and was almost certainly done before that.
Oh ok.
Well, what about 7th gen?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
It's phenomenal, it's this brand new thing called Spec Ops. And it's totally not just a shameless rehash or what we did in Modern Warfare 2.

Here's what the box art looks like

The one thing I like about this article is that it proves how stupid Infinity Ward is.

It's ripping on Call of Duty for not being enough of a direct port of the last Call of Duty game. But the thing they didn't realize is that it was pretty much a port of the CoD game that happened before that one.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I'll be damned, some good news actually comes out of the MW3 front. I had pegged this game for a multi-player only fragfest that I would normally never play but if there is a decent co-op to the game I might actually buy this...used.

Of course I'll wait to hear about it in the reviews first, I definitely don't believe the hype.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Mikeyfell said:
It's phenomenal, it's this brand new thing called Spec Ops. And it's totally not just a shameless rehash or what we did in Modern Warfare 2.

Here's what the box art looks like

The one thing I like about this article is that it proves how stupid Infinity Ward is.

It's ripping on Call of Duty for not being enough of a direct port of the last Call of Duty game. But the thing they didn't realize is that it was pretty much a port of the CoD game that happened before that one.
STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE BAAAAWWWW

OT: I fucking hate zombies and probably wont buy MW3 because I will be too busy playing other games. So mehhh.

STOP BUYING WHAT YOU ALREADY OWN 4 OF BAAAAAWWWWW!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Mikeyfell said:
I know, it's almost like it's a sequel...

How crazy is that? Games in the same series, even the same trilogy, sharing features? This must be unprecedented!