Modern Warfare 3 Trailer Kicks Off World War III

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Modern Warfare 3 Trailer Kicks Off World War III

The first official Modern Warfare 3 trailer is here to blow up everything everywhere.

The original Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110049-Four-Modern-Warfare-3-Teasers-Invade-the-World] hinted at a worldwide conflict. The first official Modern Warfare 3 trailer makes no bones about it: The game will revolve around World War III.

[video=3290]

In the trailer, New York gets seriously messed up, with combat helicopters flying at street level. England's underground rail system is going to need a lot of repairs. Soldiers in France engage in guerrilla warfare, while entire buildings are brought down in Germany.

Bad stuff happens in Modern Warfare 3, and who's responsible? The trailer's narrator says: "It doesn't take the most powerful nations on Earth to create the next global conflict, just the will of a single man." I'll let you try to figure out who it is.

The trailer shows players engaging in combat on land, in the air, and even at sea (or under it). No matter what may have happened [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98761-Rumor-Security-Locks-Down-Infinity-Ward-Ousts-Studio-Head-UPDATE] at Infinity Ward, it along with Slegehammer Games, both named in the trailer, have put together something that looks gorgeous so far.

We also now have confirmation that Modern Warfare 3 will be released for the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 on November 8, 2011. Huh, didn't see that coming.

Thanks for the tip EcksTeaSea [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/EcksTeaSea]!

May 5, 2010
Hell yeah. I'm hyped. I've always loved the Modern Warfare series, even the story.

Hopefully the multiple settings give some length, but that would just be icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Wow. And here I thought I was done with the COD franchise for good. Dammit, Infinity Ward.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
HankMan said:
Please Infinity Ward, I can handle multiple deaths of player characters, but for the love of God
NO
FUCKING
FLASHBACKS!
That was really on Black Ops. There was only one flash-back in MW, none in MW2...

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
HankMan said:
Please Infinity Ward, I can handle multiple deaths of player characters, but for the love of God
NO
FUCKING
FLASHBACKS!
I think that there was only one flashback, which was One Shot One Kill/All Ghillied Up.
And well, Black Ops basically is a flashback.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Yeah. Trailer looked great, as usual. So has every COD trailer to date. The proof will be in the pudding and I have no intention of a day 1 buy.

I hope there will be a beta for those who are super excited for MW3.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Eh the story for MW2 was really a buzzkill for me, I'll have to hear more about this before I get excited/declare my hatred for something I haven't played yet :p

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
Didn't Kotick say that the COD series was a testament to the real life soldiers who fight today? So why the hell is the series going into such stupid lengths to one-up itself and make the threat of Russians or Muslims or whoever the enemy in apparently more powerful than nuclear arms? This series has gone so far off kilter that its a parody of itself right now, just trying to shock and sensationalize itself another stupid installment to earn a quick buck. Oh, and isn't the new IW made up of cannibalized workers from the old IW minus all the talent that made the first fun?

Samnite

Sep 21, 2009
I see another Spectre gunship section - in an urban section this time. If they can render all the buildings that are likely to come down that would be brilliant.

There's another MW2-finale-esque boat chase towards the end as well.

I think I trust this latest amalgamation of studios to pull this off properly, having seen that. Just so long as they do England properly!

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
I wonder if they'll prove Einstein right...would be interesting if they do.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Why are people getting so pumped up for this? It still looks godawful. I really don't get it. Have we learned nothing from CoD: Not Another WWII Shooter, MW2 and BlOps?

It's going to disappoint. Every one of the last 3 CoD games has. Or has everyone convinced themselves BlOps is good now?

Also why do I see a soldier with an American flag patch in France? I gotta think if we're getting invaded, we aren't really down for sending soldiers elsewhere, I think we've got enough problems.

Who the hell is even invading the entirety of the west? Russia? How and why? I asked this question in the teaser trailer, and not a single person answered.

They might as well have added "Herp derp" at the beginning of the dialogue. The Modern Warfare series was in the process of jumping the shark in MW2, it has finished that jump with these trailers.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Man, I really want to see how it all ends, because call of duty 4 was fun, mw2 wasn't, and now I'm torn.
I guess I'll just end up renting it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
God, they have really given up, haven't they? I mean, they aren't even attempting to hide how astronomically implausible, 'splosion ridden spectacularly, "OMG Russians invading US!"-y, "WORLD WAR THREEEEEE!"-y this is, are they? The CoD series have gone so far from the roots of CoD4 that they're the distance between Earth and Mars in how far off they are from each other. Yeesh.

I so want to go into a rant about how implausible this is. And I shall. First off, is Russia the only major opposing force? If so, how the hell are they able to fight on all these fronts? Secondly, how the hell was Russia allowed to invade the US in the first place? Because of a massacre in an airport that happened to have a CIA agent there? So? How does that let Russia attack the US while everyone is standing idly by? And what about the surveillance cameras, none of the guys in the massacre wore masks? Furthermore, wasn't it the ultranationalist leader who started it? How the hell did the other countries let an extreme fundamentalist ultranationalist lead Russia to unloading hell upon America? And what about the US General? Is he just a fucktard because he wanted to start World War III "just 'cause"? Because he is. What the hell does France or Germany have to do with this? AND WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

Still, looks interesting. I won't buy it regardless as I am in a personal boycott against Activision, but to those who are excited for it, I wish you a good game. I say that with utmost sincerity.

But my god, people, you've got to admit that this series has become practically a parody of blockbuster action movies. It's not even trying anymore, they're just putting whatever set piece they can think up in their brains and slappin' it in the game by now!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Conviced themselves? Wow... Just Wow... I am sorry but I like I cant even begin to comprehind how ignoratnt this post is...

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Looks like Infinity Ward stopped pussy-footing around and went all out with their "teh Ruskies want to take over the world!!11!" conspiracy theory.
Certainly looks impressive, but it's a trailer. Trailers are supposed to be impressive. I'll wait to hear if they make a single-player longer than 4 hours before I consider picking this up.

...Heh, pussy-footing. Tee hee. :p

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Phew, okay. My fears are allayed somewhat. I thought they were gonna use nukes, then Activision and Bethesda were going to make Fallout Warfare 4: The Search for More Money.