Mojang Gets Silly With Minecraft Map Trailer

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mojang Gets Silly With Minecraft Map Trailer

Mojang introduces maps to the Minecraft playerbase through a humorous trailer.

Though Markus "Notch" Persson Minecraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109644-Notch-Reveals-Charming-Map-System-for-Minecraft], they haven't been shown off in motion until now. Instead of just giving us a tech demo of the feature to be added in Minecraft update 1.6, Mojang put a little personality into the latest trailer.

[video=3293]

The trailer references Tom Hanks movie Cast Away [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WQWPJQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00003CXRP&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1K25F1PQYV0K9QZE5Z4A] where the star is stranded on a desert island and turns a volleyball named Wilson into his only friend. It would have taken just 8 pieces of paper and a compass for Hanks to find his way home, or at least to perhaps find another air-filled friend.

When players hold a map, they simply need to look down to see its updated progress. Just don't forget to look up from time to time to watch for Creepers, and for goodness sake don't throw your map in a fire!

The full change list for Minecraft update 1.6, which is mostly a bug-fixer, can be found sky dimension [http://notch.tumblr.com/post/5775170768/the-changelist-for-1-6]?

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I'm going to have to drop a resounding Meh on this development, of all the fun cool stuff modders are doing for this game the official release is a Map.

I know there are a lot of bug fixes, but when so much should be added to flesh out the game world and multiplayer, shouldn't that stuff all get done first so they can work on the bugs they cause?

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Well, it needs some bug-fixing. I've had problems lately. I'm actually more hyped about hell getting back into the game than anything else.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Holy CRAP there are a lot of bug fixes! Great, now he's got that sorted out he can start to add more content again, and I might play again :D

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
greenflash said:
Is it strange that i am more exited about the tall grass then the maps?
Be careful: There are wild pokemon in the tall grass.

OT: Looks cool. Been some time since I played Minecraft though.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
*dons top hat and monocle*
Bah, I laugh at your maps! You know why? I build monuments visibile from a thousand cubits (well, not that far, it only renders so much at once, of course) away! Yes, constructing tall things and remembering where they are in relation to one another is truly superior to looking at a piece of paper that tells you where everything is! Obviously this doesn't work underground.

On that note, any thoughts on how maps might relay depth to the holder? A spiderman-esque height guage, perhaps?

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
Well was worried that the maps wouldnt be any good and to my luck they look great.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
"WIIIIIIILLLLLLSOOOONN!"

-"My name is Voit, dumbass."

Still, I cannot wait for maps, because I too have lost my way many of times (mainly when making the internal Nether portal after entering that zone)

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
XT inc said:
I'm going to have to drop a resounding Meh on this development, of all the fun cool stuff modders are doing for this game the official release is a Map.

I know there are a lot of bug fixes, but when so much should be added to flesh out the game world and multiplayer, shouldn't that stuff all get done first so they can work on the bugs they cause?
Having debugged plenty of code in my time, I'm going to say no. Before I add any new features, I want to get all I can about the old code polished up so I never ever have to look at it again. Leaving bugs for the end is the procrastinator's method, and as a procrastinator who's done so before, it REALLY sucks to build up a mile long list of bugs and realize it's going to take about as much time to search through what you've got as it did to write the initial code.

As for the video, isn't the guy in the library a reference to a Twilight Zone episode? I swear the whole situation is really similar but it's been too long since I've watched that show.

I'm also not super excited about the maps, but I am interested to see how tall grass spreads - if that's to be our only source for seeds, it seems like we might want to be able to get to some/make some ourselves, yes?

Areani

Dec 18, 2008
Awesome. And now that all those bugs are fixed I hope we'll get to see a lot more new content in 1.7. Pistons need to be official!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
XT inc said:

I bet myself it would be 2 posts before someone was a sour puss about anything related to minecraft.

I lost the bet :(.

Alternatively I am impressed by how quickly people complain in these threads now.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
About time.

Now I no longer have to rely solely on my sense of location, but rather have a handy tool to show me the way. A nice feature to be added to this could be the option to put in notes on the map, enabling you to quickly get to various points of interest that you've marked.

I wonder if it includes underground tunnels. That would be -very- appreciated. I don't know how many times I got lost down there!

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
something that's gone mostly unnoticed, surprisingly, is that this patch breaks the old-style boosters...and even with the new boosters getting a bigger speed boost, it'll still kill off a LOT of creativity from the rails community.

no more roller-coasters or giant subway systems :(

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
Is it me, or did they (The Escapist) change the video from what it was an hour ago or so so that it cuts off half of it?