Monster Hunter Tri

Urf

Nov 18, 2009
I like MH3 and was looking forward to a good bashing of it.
Instead I got "I couldn't be bothered to play for 2 hours".
I don't believe you played to the boss before the review else you would have added it to the review (and subsequently made it worthwhile). The bosses are the meat and potatoes of the game, not including it made it boring, whiny and disappointing. I wasn't expecting you to like MH3 (I am no where near that thick), I was expecting a fun ripping of the game. Instead we got Yahtzee hates MMOs and Japan (STOP THE PRESSES!).

BlueP999

Mar 29, 2010
I think there are some exceptions which Yahtzee thinks "it gets better later", right?

eg. in his Heavy Rain review.

Brickcups

May 27, 2009
Carnagath said:
Blah blah blah, MH3 does not have a 10 hour tutorial. It has a 90 minute tutorial, unless you linger on, doing things that are unnecessary forever. Do them for a bit, explore a bit, then move on. Do you need a manual to play this game, someone to hold your hand? You don't like some elements of it, sure, I accept that, but saying it has a 10 hour tutorial is like reviewing WoW and spending your first 10 hours picking herbs and then saying "In this game you do nothing but pick herbs for the first 10 hours". That's pretty silly.

Also, WELL UP YOURS TOO, PRICK!
Exactly! If it takes you 10 hours to get through the tutorial... you aren't playing it right. lol

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Con: Extra Punctuation this week somewhat less informative as usual
Pro: You get to read through all the emotional replies to an official "up yours" from Yahtzee to all the fanboys.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I was disappointed by the bad review (not that he said the game was bad, but that he reviewed it poorly). I have a little more respect that he actually took the time to progress through to the Great Jaggi battle and get more feel for the game. I don't care if someone doesn't like Monster Hunter, as long as it is judged by more than the tutorial.

However, how the hell did you spend 10 hours on the tutorial? It's five quick gathering missions. It should take a new player 2 hours max, as in they took so long to figure out how to even draw their weapon that it would take two hours max. You can't even spend 10 hours doing them without failing due to the 50 minute time limit on missions!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've had a mongoose up my trouser leg once. Well, actually it was a mink, but it's basically the same type of animal.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Ok, first of all, the tutorial isn't 10 hours long... "fans" knew that ...and non-fans.. don't care..

And second, why didn't he mention the bossfight in his video review?

At least he did clarify how long he played (until the end of the tutorial). That's all i wanted...

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
BlueP999 said:
I think there are some exceptions which Yahtzee thinks "it gets better later", right?

True, but even he stated that he wouldn't hold it against you if you couldn't tolerate it until then. Also, there's a difference between waiting around 2 hours versus waiting around 10 hours for a game to get good.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Loonerinoes said:
Pro: You get to read through all the emotional replies to an official "up yours" from Yahtzee to all the fanboys.
Noone cares about a videogame enough to be emotional about it, much less about Yahtzee. Just taking the piss, all in good fun!

Krimson Kun

May 28, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
Ah ha! At last I have something to say that contradicts you!

I actually think a weapons degradation system could work well, depending on the feel of gameplay you're going for and how you implement it. Remember STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl. That game had a weapon degradation system and I actually thought it fit really well with the feel of a world breaking down around you. Of course, the big difference between STALKER and this game is apparently the fact that you could fire more than ten shots of your weapon without it becoming shit. Actually, in STALKER, there was one gun that I picked up early in the game and I kept it pretty much throughout, watching it slowly degrade as the game went on and worrying that it would give out on me at a critical moment. It made me rethink how I used it, because it was such a freaking awesome weapon I didn't want to loose it. So, I'd find ways to avoid having to use it if I could and I'd make sure that every shot with it counted. That was awesome. Of course, by the end of the game, it had become next to useless, because the frame had gotten bent, causing the accuracy to go way down, but by that point, it was almost the end and I was fighting guys who had much better weapons that I had to pick up anyway in order to fight them. I actually thought that worked well.
So, weapon degradation can work if you implement it well.

Really, that's all I can make an argument for, and I'm not really arguing in favor of the game you're reviewing, so maybe that doesn't count.
The weapon degrading system that Yahtzee if referring to is the 'sharpness' system in MH series. Every melee weapon has a status called 'sharpness' and less sharpness means less dmg, and unless you do a certain amount of dmg, your weapon is going to 'bounce' (yes like you're holding a bamboo stick). It is annoying as fuck, and that is why you use skills(its like abilities armor has) to either make you do more damage, or makes you sharpen your weapon, make sharpness drop faster or give you an extra bar of sharpness.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Carnagath said:
Loonerinoes said:
Noone cares about a videogame enough to be emotional about it, much less about Yahtzee. Just taking the piss, all in good fun!
We'll see how high the post count gets on this article and then we'll see how much of it is 'all in good fun' heh.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
BlueP999 said:

I guess the first two hours of Heavy Rain were tolerable.
OT: One of the best articles up-to-date, I really had fun reading this one.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Brickcups said:
Exactly! If it takes you 10 hours to get through the tutorial... you aren't playing it right. lol
Either that or the game gives poor emphasis on what you could be doing, unless you look it up. A popular trend with more WRPGs.

Yahtzee said:
...Or you quit the quest and lose your deposit. And that reminds me, why the fuck do I have to pay to start a quest? What the hell kind of nightmarish bureaucracy is running the Adventurer's Guild?
Seems to be taking a page from real life, where you need to buy permits to hunt specific animals on land you do not own.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Carnagath said:
Blah blah blah, MH3 does not have a 10 hour tutorial. It has a 90 minute tutorial, unless you linger on, doing things that are unnecessary forever. Do them for a bit, explore a bit, then move on. Do you need a manual to play this game, someone to hold your hand? You don't like some elements of it, sure, I accept that, but saying it has a 10 hour tutorial is like reviewing WoW and spending your first 10 hours picking herbs and then saying "In this game you do nothing but pick herbs for the first 10 hours". That's pretty silly.

Also, WELL UP YOURS TOO, PRICK!
A manual for a game is a good thing - it means that people without a psychic link to the developer's mind can work out the controls without the embarrassing trial and error inherent in accidentally shooting a villager in the face. (Yeah, red dead redemption never actually told me how to use the dead-eye system in game, so after I inadvertently shot a helpless randomer in the face, I looked at the manual{slight dramatisation, I accidentally used it on a bandit, and it helped. I still had no idea what the hell I'd done though}).

Also, I'd allow creative exaggeration when reading anything by Yahtzee. 10 hours basically means 'way too long'. 90 minutes for a tutorial is still a bloody long time.

Yer man o'er yonder

May 20, 2010
Sturmdolch said:
This game sounds terrible... I mean, I know Yahtzee exaggerates a lot (or really hates games?) but even so, this sounds like a shitty Korean MMORPG without the MMO part.
So an RPG then? That's what it is supposed to be as far as I know.
And what a lovely rant Yahtzee had. Hope he enjoyed it.

sougo13

Sep 11, 2009
Urm.. Yahztee? if it take you ten hours to do the tutorial then you're playing the game wrong.

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
This game does not have a 10 hour tutorial.
If you would have invested more than half an hour into the game you would have found out yourself.

Actually there isn't even a "real" tutorial.
Would you call it a tutorial when an FPS presents you a new weapon at the beginning of the 3rd mission and gives you a short briefing about it? Certainly not. And it is similar in Monster Hunter Tri.

You just start out with some smaller tasks, to teach you some basic stuff and get used to the controls.
People reported to have gotten into the big monster fights somewhere between 30 minutes and 2 hours (I needed 1 hour, because I enjoyed discovering what you call "the Overworld").

Sure its ok to get something wrong the first time, like you with measuring the length of the "tutorial". But then posting the same rubbish in another article just makes you look sloppy and uneducated.

And wait at first you bitched and moaned how gathering mushrooms sucks and then you complain how having villagers, which can do that for you later, takes away the element of exploration?
Dude, make up your mind.

From what I'm reading about your weapon problem, I assume you haven't really bothered to upgrade it.
You see, the standard sword&shield you get only has a small amount of normal sharpness and due to it having a high attack rate, it looses it quickly.
This can be seen here:
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Sword_And_Shield

You could have upgraded that weapon twice already, by the time you fought the great jaggi and you only would have needed to mine 2 ore bolders to get amount of ressources to upgrade it (assuming you would have used the leather armor, which everybody gets anyway), which would have made your sharpness last 5 times longer.
But oh noes!
That would have been farming.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Actually, what you've just described sounds like your basic limited ammo game design element. Your gun essentially had a limited amount of ammo, and you had to choose how to ration it. That makes a little bit more sense. What Yahtzee is referring to (I think) is more a degradation system for melee weapons like swords and axes and the like. That just sucks ass, because you're expected to keep using the weapon repeatedly, but you have to stop and repair it.

It sucks less if it takes a while to actually degrade, because you can basically use it for the whole mission and then repair it when you get back to town between missions. But it's still retarded, because now it's basically just a little checkbox on your "list of shit to do whenever I'm in town". It doesn't add anything to the gameplay; it's just annoying. Just get rid of it. It's not fun. At all. Yeah, it's less realistic, but you know what? Fuck realism. Reality sucks and we need less of it in video games, especially bloody fantasy ones with giant fucking monsters.
It wasn't a limited ammo system, because you could keep using it as it degraded, it just had a higher chance of jamming and the accuracy got worse (which you could actually compensate for if you really tried). At some point, I assume the rifle stops working, but the problem of jamming got to the point that it wasn't worth it to keep the gun, so I don't know.

Still, I think a weapons degradation could work for melee combat weapons. But you'd need to stretch the number of hits it takes to dull the weapon. If implemented properly, it would mean that you'd just have to make sure you sharpen your weapon regularly between missions. Of course, magic weapons should not degrade at all. Enchantments on them should keep them from breaking down.

Realism is an aesthetic choice, I think. It all depends on what you're going for in the feel of the game world. Sometimes, a gritty, realistic game is fun - like the aforementioned STALKER - but other times it's just as fun to abandon the pretext of realism and run in with your gun that shoots dogs and slaughter everything, then bandage yourself up and do it again. It depends on what you want the gameplay experience to feel like. It's a decision that game designers need to take much more seriously than they do.

Krimson Kun

May 28, 2010
Yer man o said:
Sturmdolch said:
This game sounds terrible... I mean, I know Yahtzee exaggerates a lot (or really hates games?) but even so, this sounds like a shitty Korean MMORPG without the MMO part.
So an RPG then? That's what it is supposed to be as far as I know.
And what a lovely rant Yahtzee had. Hope he enjoyed it.
Its an action game, with only rpg like element being the skill system

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I haven't played this, not realy my thing.
But I'd just like to say that I find it funny that people still get het up by stuff Yahtzee says. Pinch of salt people. Biiig pinch of salt.