Monster Hunter Tri

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Krimson Kun said:
I find it ironic that you whine about Yahtzee not playing the game he's criticizing when you don't bother to read the post (or at least respond to any of the points made) when repeating the same tired shit about how I'm taking Yahtzee's word as the word of god. In fact, I made a point about that very argument. A point you chose to ignore. Like the +95 hours of gameplay Yahtzee chose to ignore. I believe we've entered a singularity. Everyone leave the universe in an orderly fashion, shit's about to get messy.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Krimson Kun said:
thublihnk said:
I really don't get the obsession with minor details with this MH3 crowd. Look, he didn't like it for whatever reasons. The fact that (most of) you registered with the escapist like, 3 days ago really speaks to the idea that you're just concerned that Yahtzee just isn't being professional about this.

Ha! No. You're just mad about your game, so you keep grasping at straws. Get over it. I don't CARE how hxcore you guys are, or how challenging MH3 is, none of you have provided a single compelling argument (mind you, havn't read all your posts) as to why MH3 is a GOOD game. You don't need to convince me, you don't need to convince Yahtzee, and at this point it seems you're trying to convince yourself a little too hard.
Extreme Pajamas said:
Snotnarok said:
Seriously too many people care what other people think.

Yahtzee didn't like a game that you do, boo hoo hoo, this is to be expected. Even he said this, if you like it then why do you care what someone else thinks of it? Seriously go get your game put it on and enjoy it! If he doesn't then that's his loss right?
Exactly. I doubt Yahtzee cares about whether or not the viewers buy the game, and he only voices his own opinion. So he detests a game you absolutely love. Big deal. It doesn't stop you from playing your game. Stop being mad at the guy who likes to point all of the faults he finds.
Just to let you guys know, the whole reason this started is not because he was beating on the game that we love, but he was dishonest and inaccurate, its hard to read all the posts I know, but please, stop worshiping him like he's some god.

GrimHeaper said:
Krimson Kun said:
GrimHeaper said:
Riven Armor said:
GrimHeaper said:
Smavey said:
LaymanX said:
Oh my God, there are so many people bashing the game who CLEARLY haven't played it.

The tutorial is not even CLOSE to 10 hours. You can do it in 45 minutes if you're not a complete retard.
I know! Reading these comments are hilarious.

To the people confused about the weapon degrading...it's such a minor part of the game you never notice. it takes 3 seconds to bring your weapon to full power again and it's something you have to do every 15 minutes. Also it's FREE to do that...

Anyway. If you are a casual gamer, this game is not for you.
Imagine that you have to tie your shoes every 15 minutes for the rest of your life AND IT'S FREE!
Your analogy strikes me as a little melodramatic. Game = life, eh...
To some it is so it is only slightly melodramatic.

@everyone This is also a review think about it would a person new to RPG's even know about the stuff you are talking about?

What if a person bought a used one with no manual or doesn't want to read a manual.
You have to take in account this review isn't for fans it is for the friends of fans new to rpgs and video games.

Their friends tell them to play Monster Hunter Tri telling them it is great, but instead they get the piss bored out of them for more than 90 mins because they are new to rpgs altogether and they are sitting there the whole time asking you what to do.
I wouldn't want this crap as a new rpg gamer and I would quit.
If you're looking for an RPG game, MH isn't the way to go anyways. The only RPG element there is well, the skills, which you don't really need anyways. But you do have a valid point, MH isn't really for people who just started gaming. As for the tutorial on the other hand, since it takes you by hand and just tells you what to do, you might be a little bored, but there's no way you can get lost as long as you pay attention
You would be surprised by how stupid people are they might need more than a tutorial.
What is this?What is that, will it kill me?
They wouldn't know what a rpg is so it would be of little help.

He is reviewing the games by single value.
Don't think about other rpg games,sequels, or anything besides the game.
Now how does the game look?
First of all MH is not a rpg.
BUT the point here was, again, not that Yahtzee was bashing on the game, he was inaccurate. If this many people think he was wrong, I'd probably rethink what he says in the review and do some more research before taking his word, that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying that the game is fucking amazing and if you don't like it, you're a fucking unbeliever and I'm going to kill you, its just that he made some mistakes and I saw them.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1732-Monster-Hunter-Tri
He pointed out all I need to know if I buy I game I want the action almost right away.

How is it a ROLE-PLAYING-GAME when you play the role of a guy who kills monsters and he has to do quests.Sure doesn't sound like a role playing game to me/sarcasm.

Don't pull that online bullshit excuse on me, not everyone has wi-fi.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I am very amused by this thread. Twice the average replies ZP gets nowadays.

It's hard to imagine people would defend so hard a game they have no stake in. Are you the developers? No? Then why are you so angry that a behatted man didn't like the game you like? Go write a review on the Escapist forums - I assure you that, in the great scheme of things, it has precisely the same weight.

Krimson Kun

May 28, 2010
GrimHeaper said:
Krimson Kun said:
thublihnk said:
I really don't get the obsession with minor details with this MH3 crowd. Look, he didn't like it for whatever reasons. The fact that (most of) you registered with the escapist like, 3 days ago really speaks to the idea that you're just concerned that Yahtzee just isn't being professional about this.

Ha! No. You're just mad about your game, so you keep grasping at straws. Get over it. I don't CARE how hxcore you guys are, or how challenging MH3 is, none of you have provided a single compelling argument (mind you, havn't read all your posts) as to why MH3 is a GOOD game. You don't need to convince me, you don't need to convince Yahtzee, and at this point it seems you're trying to convince yourself a little too hard.
Extreme Pajamas said:
Snotnarok said:
Seriously too many people care what other people think.

Yahtzee didn't like a game that you do, boo hoo hoo, this is to be expected. Even he said this, if you like it then why do you care what someone else thinks of it? Seriously go get your game put it on and enjoy it! If he doesn't then that's his loss right?
Exactly. I doubt Yahtzee cares about whether or not the viewers buy the game, and he only voices his own opinion. So he detests a game you absolutely love. Big deal. It doesn't stop you from playing your game. Stop being mad at the guy who likes to point all of the faults he finds.
Just to let you guys know, the whole reason this started is not because he was beating on the game that we love, but he was dishonest and inaccurate, its hard to read all the posts I know, but please, stop worshiping him like he's some god.

GrimHeaper said:
Krimson Kun said:
GrimHeaper said:
Riven Armor said:
GrimHeaper said:
Smavey said:
LaymanX said:
Oh my God, there are so many people bashing the game who CLEARLY haven't played it.

The tutorial is not even CLOSE to 10 hours. You can do it in 45 minutes if you're not a complete retard.
I know! Reading these comments are hilarious.

To the people confused about the weapon degrading...it's such a minor part of the game you never notice. it takes 3 seconds to bring your weapon to full power again and it's something you have to do every 15 minutes. Also it's FREE to do that...

Anyway. If you are a casual gamer, this game is not for you.
Imagine that you have to tie your shoes every 15 minutes for the rest of your life AND IT'S FREE!
Your analogy strikes me as a little melodramatic. Game = life, eh...
To some it is so it is only slightly melodramatic.

@everyone This is also a review think about it would a person new to RPG's even know about the stuff you are talking about?

What if a person bought a used one with no manual or doesn't want to read a manual.
You have to take in account this review isn't for fans it is for the friends of fans new to rpgs and video games.

Their friends tell them to play Monster Hunter Tri telling them it is great, but instead they get the piss bored out of them for more than 90 mins because they are new to rpgs altogether and they are sitting there the whole time asking you what to do.
I wouldn't want this crap as a new rpg gamer and I would quit.
If you're looking for an RPG game, MH isn't the way to go anyways. The only RPG element there is well, the skills, which you don't really need anyways. But you do have a valid point, MH isn't really for people who just started gaming. As for the tutorial on the other hand, since it takes you by hand and just tells you what to do, you might be a little bored, but there's no way you can get lost as long as you pay attention
You would be surprised by how stupid people are they might need more than a tutorial.
What is this?What is that, will it kill me?
They wouldn't know what a rpg is so it would be of little help.

He is reviewing the games by single value.
Don't think about other rpg games,sequels, or anything besides the game.
Now how does the game look?
First of all MH is not a rpg.
BUT the point here was, again, not that Yahtzee was bashing on the game, he was inaccurate. If this many people think he was wrong, I'd probably rethink what he says in the review and do some more research before taking his word, that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying that the game is fucking amazing and if you don't like it, you're a fucking unbeliever and I'm going to kill you, its just that he made some mistakes and I saw them.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1732-Monster-Hunter-Tri
He pointed out all I need to know if I buy I game I want the action almost right away.

How is it a ROLE-PLAYING-GAME when you play the role of a guy who kills monsters and he has to do quests.Sure doesn't sound like a role playing game to me/sarcasm.

Don't pull that online bullshit excuse on me, not everyone has wi-fi.
ITS NOT A RPG. For the love of god, its not a rpg.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
thublihnk said:
shadowmarth said:
thublihnk said:

Uh, it's good because it's a game where you FIGHT GIANT FUCKING DINOSAURS AND SEA MONSTERS WITH HAMMERS. If that idea doesn't float your boat, then you are insane. It's also fun as fuck once you learn to use a weapon properly.

And you know why people care that Yahtzee shit on it? Look at the first few pages. Waaaaay too many people take his reviews as word of god.
Well then throw me in a straitjacket and call my Larry-Poops-His-Pants because what you've just described to me isn't a good game, it's a 10 year old's napkin drawings with a couple million dollars of R&D behind it. That's not to say that's what MH3 is, that is you've just made a TERRIBLE argument. I've been reading these comments for ages and I'm still not exactly sure what kind of game this is, but I'm thinking 3rd-person slasher with RPG elements. Am I wrong? Do I care? I think the answers are the same.

Now, here's where you MH3 folks can learn something from Yahtzee, something that makes all of his fans treat his words like 'the word of god' as you said. (Or, you know, agree with him based on the facts presented.)

Give me gameplay features. Can I do something really cool in this that I havn't done in every other 3rd person hacky-slashey? Does this have something (other than RPG elements which REALLY do not interest me in the slightest but that is just me. And most of Yahtzee's audience, keep that in mind) over Shadow of the Colossus, which if I'm not mistaken is held in slightly higher opinion than pussy and beer around these here parts, as it well should be. Do I get to meet an interesting character? I've forgiven slightly shoddy gameplay for compelling and deep characters more than once. Why does he want to hunt all these monsters? A mad quest to find an antidote that hides under the skin of one of these beasts to cure him of an ailment a wizard gave him long ago after wronging the wizard in fair trade? Does he realize at the end, as he plunges his hammer into the final monster to collect his prize, that he deserves what is coming for him, not only for his sin against the wizard, but for his crimes against these creatures who did nothing to harm him other than fight back when he came to terrorize them in their own homes? He finally succumbs to the poison, atop his final kill, in this fantastic world now turned to a largely lifeless wasteland in a single man's selfish quest for self-preservation.

No? I've heard none of these things. I havn't heard anything other than swinging big dicks at monsters. And I couldn't tell you anything that bores me more.

(Goddamn that shit with the wizard sounds like a sweet idea for a game, nobody steal that)
Agreed. I haven't heard of any story elements from the fans or the reviewer its a blob.I can think of much better RPG games that deserve more attention like pokemon because it has a small story at least.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
"ITS NOT A RPG. For the love of god, its not a rpg."
Saying it doesn't make it any less true.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
Odd. All I see is "Mneh, mneh, I'm bad at this game. Mneh, mneh, here are all the reasons it's the game's fault. Mneh."

If you've spent 10 hours in the tutorial you're clearly playing it wrong, and (if you were not a reviewer) should really fix your approach instead of listing off why it's not your fault. But Yahtzee IS a reviewer, so that approach isn't so feasible.

Mneh, mneh, I have not and do no intend to play Monster Hunter anyway.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Brainst0rm said:
Odd. All I see is "Mneh, mneh, I'm bad at this game. Mneh, mneh, here are all the reasons it's the game's fault. Mneh."

If you've spent 10 hours in the tutorial you're clearly playing it wrong, and (if you were not a reviewer) should really fix your approach instead of listing off why it's not your fault. But Yahtzee IS a reviewer, so that approach isn't so feasible.

I am only going by word of mouth and have never played it or will play it as well.
How about we play okami instead on the Wii.

Krimson Kun

May 28, 2010
So I don't understand, what part of its not a rpg do you not get? The game is not a rpg, its an action based game where the only rpg element is the skill system, just because you wear armor and wield swords doesn't mean its a rpg.

Smavey

Jun 1, 2010
Krimson Kun said:
So I don't understand, what part of its not a rpg do you not get? The game is not a rpg, its an action based game where the only rpg element is the skill system, just because you wear armor and wield swords doesn't mean its a rpg.
You're arguing with people who haven't played the game btw.

Anyway, simply this game is fun. The satisfaction you get playing this game is unlike any video game ever. The monsters you are killing are so hard to kill, that when you do the rush you get is amazing. Yesterday I was jumping on my couch I was so happy i killed this one monster!

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
A fair way of reviewing, as most people would probably be the same way. If they don't like it, then they'll stop halfway through, just like you do. All the same, I never really used your reviews as advice considering you basically hate every game I've ever liked (and you tend to exaggerate the negatives for comedic effect), but a fair way to review none-the-less.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
GrimHeaper said:
Brainst0rm said:

I am only going by word of mouth and have never played it or will play it as well.
How about we play okami instead on the Wii.
Good plan, my friend. Afterwards I'll go pick up SMG2 and we can just forget this Monster Hunter Tri ever happened.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Krimson Kun said:
Protip: he's yanking your chain, but his chain yankery is based in fact. It is a game where you play the role of a character.

Now, let's CSI that shit. Quick! Play the tape backwards! character a of role the play you where game a is It. Now, isolate the target frequency. Role Play Game. Change the tense modulator and I think we've got it! Role Playing Game.

BY GEORGE THE BODIES ARE IN THE BAY, STEVENS GET TO THE CAR.

Krimson Kun

May 28, 2010
thublihnk said:
Krimson Kun said:
Protip: he's yanking your chain, but his chain yankery is based in fact. It is a game where you play the role of a character.

Now, let's CSI that shit. Quick! Play the tape backwards! character a of role the play you where game a is It. Now, isolate the target frequency. Role Play Game. Change the tense modulator and I think we've got it! Role Playing Game.

Alright, so I think I get what you're saying. I think I'll just quit this game, I've made some valid points(I think I did) and you also made some valid points, and it got to a point where you're just mocking me for playing. So yeah, I quit. I'll still watch Yahtzee's videos(its entertaining as fuck) I'll just think of him as a dude on youtube that makes funny videos.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Krimson Kun said:
thublihnk said:
Krimson Kun said:

Alright, so I think I get what you're saying. I think I'll just quit this game, I've made some valid points(I think I did) and you also made some valid points, and it got to a point where you're just mocking me for playing. So yeah, I quit. I'll still watch Yahtzee's videos(its entertaining as fuck) I'll just think of him as a dude on youtube that makes funny videos.
I'm not mocking you, I'm just making points with jokes. They might kinda be at yoru expense and I'm sorry if it seems I'm insulting you but sarcasm is how I communicate.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
My belief is this: anyone who buys a game is entitled to an opinion of it whether they finished the game or not.

KrazyKain

Jun 2, 2010
Alright, I've always had the opinion of Yahtzee as a mock reviewer. I never take his reviews seriously but they are always entertaining, however I have to agree that this was a bit overly harsh and untrue. Looking at the comments by users who have no clue about the actual game Yahtzee has actually harmed it with misinformation claiming the tutorial is 10 bloody hours.
I don't love monster hunter Tri, i think it's alright, and I play it once in a while, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. But I've played enough to know that his review here is just waay too misleading. it is true that this game is very much like an mmo without the mmo, but it also has a robust combat system... if you dont like the slow moving weapons then pick a faster sword and shield, I actually really enjoy using the slow clunkier weapons because they feel much stronger, and a healthy use of the dodge button and block, make it quite easy to stay alive.

anyway I'm not sure where I was going with that. I simply wish to say that not everyone here who disagrees with yahtzee is a fanboy. I love yahtzee's reviews but I wasn't too happy about this one, in the end, however, I never watch ZP for any other reason then entertainment value.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Fearzone said:
My belief is this: anyone who buys a game is entitled to an opinion of it whether they finished the game or not.
And this has what relevance to the comments people have been making about Yahtzee? People are complaining that Yahtzee A: Spent half the review talking about things that weren't the game and B: until the Extra Punctuation, was completely disingenuous about the fact that he didn't actually play the game, making it sound like the entire game is the (admittedly boring) tutorial misions.

His Extra Punctuation is also guilty of being misleading; yes, 10 hour tutorial is an exaggeration, but to anybody who didn't play the game, they wouldn't know that, and his other comments are either optional (you never *have* to fight monsters in free roam... he's basically complaining about the fact you *can* go fight the monster again, which seems rather stupid), or just skill related (if it takes a half hour to kill the first boss, you're doing it wrong... I could beat it in a half hour by kicking it to death).

Extreme Pajamas

Apr 2, 2010
Krimson Kun said:
That whole worshiping him part just pisses me off. He has disliked a few of the games that I like, and has had some inaccuracy in his reviews. Do I hate him for it? No. Do I want him to change his review to something more accurate. Quite frankly, I don't care enough to want him to. I use his reviews as another opinion, but if someone were to take that review as truth...well I'd think there is something wrong with that person.

NoblePhilistineFox

Apr 8, 2010
milskidasith said:
How is this in any way relevant? Not only that, but you seem to have no clue about how Monster Hunter works in multiplayer:

First off: The hammerer is more important than you. No matter what. If he hits you, you are in his way. The hammerer is the only class with the capability of stunning, so if you screw with him, it's your fault, and if he hits you, it's still your fault, because you shouldn't be near him.

The hammerer *only* hits the head. You can't stun at all with the other weapons.

The longsword isn't capable of breaking many parts the SnS is; notable examples include Quropecco's flints, Barroth's arms (mostly for the high damage, since you just break off the mud), and especially Gigginox's chest. The SnS has finesse, the longsword is much harder (and in the case of Giggi's chest, practically impossible) to hit, let alone land a full combo.

Also, you're last two lines are just... I really can't even express my distaste with words for saying something as pointless as that.
1.)Every hammer ive played with always goes for the back end or the cutable parts that the rest of us go for.
well, maybe im just always stuck with stupid players when it comes to the hammer guys, untill someone proves me wrong I will still think they're stupid.
(if you want to try, be my guest)

2.)when I used the SnS, I could almost never break the enemies' pieces(ESPECIALLY the quropuco, that was impossible)
with the longsword, the only problems ive ever had with severing parts is that the barroth attacks too much, and im too weak against fire to risk going sword-face with the quropuco
spirit attacks are very quick and hit a LOT of times to the needed piece.
the whole reason I switched to longsword was because I could do that stuff easier.

3.)as for stunning, thats what "para" subtype is for ^_^

4.)what do you mean Sword and Shield has alot of damage?
isnt the whole selling point of SnS is that its fast, not strong(and you can use items easier but thats not the point)

5.)so let me get this straight,
if Im not supposed to go near the hammer guy(how ive seen them play), then Im just supposed to sit far away and twiddle my thumbs while he fights it on his own.
quite the teamwork ^_^

6.)this isnt sarcasm or anything, just something funny I noticed.
how do you sharpen a hammer?
I know its a game, but it still makes no sense.

7.)so I give random helpfull items to people, I take the monsters' attention very well when you need to heal/sharpen, I cut off peices easily, my sword paralyzes enemies, and i always have spare traps/tranq bombs if needed.
yep, sure sounds like im not important to the team