More on Halo: Reach

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I was going to make a comment about my shirt, but it seems several people have done that already, so it's not clever anymore.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Uber Waddles said:
While YOU dont see the appeal of Multiplayer, SOME people do. And a LARGE ammount of people bought the game JUST for multiplayer, cause they dont care about story. If you want to call yourself a reviewer, you have to acknowledge all aspects of the game, or atleast enough to get the grasp. The story mode =/= CTF, so get your ass on Multiplayer or stop reviewing games that have Multiplayer.
He can't help but review games with multi player because multiplayer games are ubiquitous.

The problem with buying the game JUST for multiplayer seems ridiculous, especially if it's a full priced game. You're willing to pay 60 bucks for multi player alone? You might be ok with it, but some people, me included, think it's absolutely asinine to spend 60 dollars on a game with mediocre single player that only lasts 5 hours because the developers decided to cop out and make it mostly multi player. This is why Valve is so awesome, their games are either strictly single player or strictly multiplayer online and you never pay 60 bucks for them. I paid 30 dollars for the orange box and got Half Life 2, Ep1, ep2, TF2 and CS:S only costs 20 bucks. I'm definitely getting my moneys worth with them.

My point is that Valve doesn't split their attention when making a game, they focus on single player or online. Even EA is doing a better job with some of their online games, Battlefield Bad Company 2 AND Medal of Honor had 2 different studios working on it, one does the single player and the other does the multiplayer.

OT: My t shirt is awesome, it tells people that I'm an "Attorney at LOL"

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
I ignore what little the Halo Series is trying to say but the whole Jorge and that Doctor thing is annoyingly stupid, I would have though Yahtzee would get it since he is, after all, a british person.
I can't believe the number of people who think Jorge's mother is the doctor. Ignoring the fact that spartans are cut off from all family and indoctrinated into the military (explaining their suicide bomber esque fanaticism). Jorge isn't saying "mum" he is saying "mam" as in a mother figure or a respected older woman. Has no one here seen a single episode of "The Bill"?
Granted that she is a mother figure and a key part in raising Jorge into the Spartan he is, but she isn't his biological mother and the number of people I have to explain that too is getting annoying.
And I don't even care about the Halo Universe.

thebreadbinman

Jan 24, 2010
How can you complain about the spazztarded physics etc whilst raving about the fact that it's not like all the other realistic shooters?
and companies spend just as much time on designing/building multiplayer levels and maps and making sure the user experience is enjoyable with new and innovative products as they do on single player, especially those like HALO and COD that revolve around it, so dismissing it entirely from a game is childish. For someone so eager to embrace new gaming revelations and going on about how it's the medium of the future, you seem rather sceptical to embrace such an important breakthrough that is social gaming.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
But as for competitive multiplayer, I'm sorry, I just don't see the appeal of playing the same maps over and over again to find out which one out of you is the best at whatever it is you're doing. That's not why I'm into gaming. Call me antisocial.
Sure, but you can't blame the game for that. Different games cater to different tastes.

The fact that one is not into competitive multiplayer gaming doesn't make games that focus on it bad, it just makes them games that don't belong in ones tastes. The game can still function properly, have solid and well-balanced gameplay, that sort of thing.
And yet, millions of dollars were invested into designing, writing, and programming the single player campaign. There's no excuse for just making that suck because "well, people will get it for the multiplayer".

If the only thing that's been good about the Halo series has been the Multiplayer then why should I or anyone fork over $60 so I can play the exact same thing but with jetpacks? If that's all this was about they could have saved a lot of money on both ends just by making it an expansion pack.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Wow, what a worthless 'article', to follow up a rather mundane review.

So let's see, Yahtzee refuses to play the multiplayer, the aspect gamers likely spend at least 60% of the their game time playing. Hell a bunch of the online-players haven't even touched the Halo 3 campaign. Some folks just aren't interested, and Bungie seem to pay a lot more attention to the multiplayer.

So instead he pays attention to the story, only he hasn't bothered to play much, if any, of the previous games, neither has he glanced at the canon.

I doubt Mass Effect 2's story is abundantly clear to people who haven't played the first, Y'know why?

- The game has sold many, many copies.
- The history/canon is available online, for free.
- Boring the fans (the people games like this are generally aimed at), with details they already know about, isn't good storytelling.

Granted, Halo: Reach doesn't sound like a great game, I haven't touched it in fact, yet it is clear that Yahtzee is making bad judgements on a game he wrong foots from the start.

Complaining about a game being mediocre, and then making a mediocre review and follow up statement which ignores the most important facets of the game, is poor conduct for a reviewer.

ShadowSilencer

Aug 28, 2009
Oh That Dude said:
Akalabeth said:
Personally I can't take Yahtzee very seriously as a reviewer if he refuses to review more than half the game.

I mean, disregarding his lack of logic in refusing to accept that multiplayer is worthy of consideration when talking about a game, he also fails to acknowledge two pretty hefty elements of the game: Forge and Firefight. That's not even multiplayer but it's heaved into the "ignore" bin anyway.
And rightly so. Firefight is a massive waste of time. I played it single player, all I did was run around and try to stay alive. Got to the 4th wave, killed about 40+ guys and what did I get? 60 credits and nothing else? What's the point??? I'd rather kill 40 guys on the single player campaign where there's actually a reason for fighting.
You realize that without online enabled you get more credits for firefight? That being the case, if you are going to get the full feel for single player you have to disconnect yourself from Xbox Live. This point you made completely ignores the point of the post you took time to quote. (Single-player vs. Multiplayer vs. "I dont like Firefight")

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Stevepinto3 said:
And yet, millions of dollars were invested into designing, writing, and programming the single player campaign. There's no excuse for just making that suck because "well, people will get it for the multiplayer".

If the only thing that's been good about the Halo series has been the Multiplayer then why should I or anyone fork over $60 so I can play the exact same thing but with jetpacks? If that's all this was about they could have saved a lot of money on both ends just by making it an expansion pack.
Woah partner, don't get me wrong, I didn't react on the Halo part, just that statement. I haven't actually played Halo: Reach (sadly) so I'll reserve my judgement on that one.

I personally loved the campaign of the previous Halo's though, except ODST's, but that's because I didn't play that. Hoped that one would blow a fresh wind through the series, but it didn't. Halo 3 all over again, and I kinda longed for something fresh.

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
God dammit Yahzee you bastard im not fat! And besides im not into halo much it looks great the graphics and gameplay, but im with Yahzee with this one.Besides im into KillZone Muhahahaha!

KillZone shotgun> Halo shotgun

RexoftheFord

Sep 28, 2009
Shihan2 said:
Ok, call me a fanboy, because I probably am, but he's already stated that he hasn't followed the series and this is a fan game. Bungie would've been happy not having to do another Halo if people had shut up about it. The Spartans aren't meant to be relatable, and they were trained to die if need be to give a significant advantage to their team members, all of which is covered in those wonderful little books that I'm sure Yahtzee refuses to read. I'm not saying Halo Reach was perfect, it's far from, but I think Yahtzee is letting his own personal experience(or lack thereof) and feelings get in his review. I thought Halo 3 was the pinnacle of the series and has since gone downhill. It would've been a lot better if they'd gone with ODST's or Marines, because most people I've talked with are tired of playing as Spartans. They've been predictable since before Halo 3 when the first book series came out. I hope this isn't the last in the franchise since I'd like to see something done outside the Spartan story arcs, and maybe it'll be fresher since it won't be Bungie's child anymore. Maybe something along the lines of playing a Marine from his first deployment out of boot and taking us through a career we can choose depending on what our preferred play style is.
So instead of being a steroid pumped super soldier, you would rather play as a Marine. A man, who without all the steroid pumped super soldiers running around, would be dead ten seconds after stepping onto the battlefield? Why not just play Call of Duty then?

Personally, I can't relate to anyone who regenerates health by walking over a health pack, or anyone that only jumps 10 feet in the air as opposed to the 40 feet Spartans seem to manage. If you change it to a marine, it would just feel like ODST where your Stamina's basically your shields and your health is your health. You're still taking about 20 shots before you die, so you're still a steroid pumped super soldier.

Oh, nice use of one of Shamus's "You have to know every detail from every form of media even remotely related to the game before you can review it" thing from his Fanboy Guide.

ShadowSilencer

Aug 28, 2009
roostuf said:
God dammit Yahzee you bastard im not fat! And besides im into halo much it looks great the graphics and gameplay, but im with Yahzee with this one.Besides im into KillZone Muhahahaha!

What's a shotgun?

squiggothhunter

Aug 4, 2008
Why are so many of the posts here "Ive never played Halo(and proud of it!), but its gay and for morons with undescended testicles." Ignorance isn't a reason a game sucks. At least Yahtzee has the deceny to go through the game before condemning it.

Yes the story is disappointing that they didn't do more. That's my only problem with it. I love the multiplayer, because I can dig the modes that dont require a fully cooperating team- Team Swat and Rumble Pit, plus the firefight modes.

The core gameplay hasn't changed. Huh, ya know I think thats why it's the core, and they add to it not mess with it. I mean, they've sold a couple million of these things right? So obviously many people are entertained by it. They've added jet packs and armor lock, and messed with some weapons. I love reach the second most of all the Halo's. Still doesn't beat the original in my book.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
i'm not surprised Halo Reach is rather boring.

I actually just picked up Halo Combat Evolved for PC about a week or two ago. I'm honestly falling asleep. All I've done so far is drive bots around, infiltrate a base alone, then go back to babysitting retards again. I can't believe people have been finding this stimulating. Haven't done multiplayer yet, but I have L4D which I just like better from a multiplayer stand-point.

Larsirius

May 26, 2010
I don't know wether or not to trust your judgement when you, born in Britain, doesn't know the difference between mum and ma'am.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Too bad that Yahtzee will never delve into these comments deep enough to actually engage in a reasonable discourse. But all the same, I must thank him for validating my commentary about how he approaches his reviews from an already biased (pro- or con-) position.

Yahtzee (and yes, I would say this to your face): You are a HELL of an entertainer... but a piss-poor 'critic'.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Actually, if you turn on the subtitles, Jorge is saying ma'am, not mum. Accents, m'right?

roostuf said:
God dammit Yahzee you bastard im not fat! And besides im not into halo much it looks great the graphics and gameplay, but im with Yahzee with this one.Besides im into KillZone Muhahahaha!

You know... I gave Killzone 2 a chance. Is the first one better? I only played the Single Player, but it felt sluggish as hell.