More on Halo: Reach

Caligula_II

Apr 6, 2010
skimmed a few pages, then tl;dr'ed the thread.

Anyways, why are we arguing about Yahtzee's opinion? That's what critics do, they say what THEY think about things. Not whether you would like it. Yahtzee is not a big fan of multiplayer, m'kay? If he talked about it, it would just be negative anyways. He's also right, by the way. Games SHOULD stand on single player alone if they have it. It should also be able to stand alone on multiplayer, aka TF2.

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
Played the game. The story is bad, the game itself mediocre. Entertaining for a while, but nothing special. It just feels like another Halo 3 with different weapons. The graphical update is minimal, at best.

I'm not saying the game is bad. I'm just saying a "remake" of Halo 3 with new weapons just isn't worth the praise it's getting from almost every game reviewer out there. Friends of mine have agreed with me, and they were psyched about this game. They got disappointed when playing it though.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
..and why an AI is on a bit of glowy pipe rather than, say, a USB stick.
Yahtzee, I love you.
This too baffled me. If we could probably fit her on a (albeit very large storage-space wise) USB Stick NOW, like, 500 years before the events of Reach, surely they could fit her in something... I don't know, thinner than paper, in 2552.

But it's negligible to me really, Halo was never known for it's realism. I guess it was just for effect, having a glowy blue pipe to signify Six was carrying something pretty damn important.

Anyway, I completely understand Yahtzee's view on Halo, I just disagree with it. Love the entire series [small](call me a fanboy..)[/small], but respect the fact that Yahtzee doesn't.
At least he gives good reasons why.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Haven't read all the comments, but I'm guessing it's yet more "Why can't Yahtzee judge the game on the strength of the parts that go nowhere?" type stuff?
(The "parts that DO go somewhere" would be the stuff with the story progression that goes from point A to point B to point C etc until 'something' gets accomplished, instead of putzing around on a selection of maps where 'nothing' gets accomplished.)

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
I suppose I would have liked the story to end in some way other than just transporting Cortana, since I know she will eventually ruin the end of Halo 3's story, but I still think it was good. You finally had the chance to fight with other spartans, although I do see the noble death competition as being a real thing. I guess the cutscene where they set up the terms of the competition was cut from the game so as to not make it too obvious.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
The Mythmaker said:
A very difficult article to respond too. Each point balanced by another.

If I dispute your interpretation of the story with facts from other sources, I prove your point about ancillary media.

If I dispute your opinion on the weapons, vehicles, etc., I get to sound like an angry fanboy.

If I dispute your views on multiplayer, I'd just be a hypocrit.

Why do you have to make this so hard?!

Well, at least there are a couple things I can safely complain about.

Firefight was never mentioned. You said you reviewed "single player," not "campaign." So I was a bit surprised by this ommision since, unlike dedicated multiplayer options, this can be done solo.

As for the "spartan weighs a ton" thing, it seems reasonable to assume that they are not wearing a medieval plate. It's called "powered armor" for a reason.

...yeah, that's all I got.
Congrats!,you get to wear your "Not A Fanboy" Pin for another week. As for Reach,I personally think that singleplayer should be able to hold a game up,Then again i live in a forest in NJ so there we go

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
MorphingDragon said:
i7omahawki said:
Wow, massive presumption on what a prequel should be. A prequel is a sequel, just set before the events of the original work.
Thats still not an excuse for bad story writing.
Which, in turn, is not an excuse for bad reviewing. Ignoring previously established details, which are not immediately necessary to the story being told, is bad reviewing.

As I said, I'm sure Halo: Reach isn't great, and probably resides within the mediocre pile of gaming, especially in regards to storytelling. But if this is to be communicated, through a reviewer, then I would expect that reviewer to do half an hours research on the game they're supposed to be reviewing.

Omniroth

Oct 15, 2010
I've been a fan of Zero: Punctuation for many years, and a fan of Halo games for the same time. Now I understand why anyone would hate them, and when it comes to gameplay being at the least uncreative and at the most utterly broken (especially with the goddamn insta-kills between antagonistically infrequent check-points), I completely agree with everything you say Yahtzee. But what I cannot understand is how, as you say, all the characters in Halo: Reach are cliched.

To say that Master Chief or any other character from any other Halo game *isn't* a cliche would be a bad joke - they are archetypes wrapped in cliches in the most formulaic way possible. But in this game only, I found at least one character that could not be *less* of a cliche - Kat. While I found it disappointing that, because she's a woman, she automatically has to have pencil-thin arms, every other element of her character is like they took the standard, horrible cliche of a female soldier in games, and then went as far away from that model as they physically could, to the point that she is actually the first central, single, young female character in any game I can think of that *isn't* a romantic interest, for once! She isn't even the standard hyper-masculine over-compensatory female soldier cliche, and she most certainly isn't the delicate stay at home and let the men do the fighting cliche - how exactly *is* she a cliche then?

Amidst fiction like Twilight telling all young girls they should be utterly subservient in abusive relationships, I could not have more welcomed a decent female character in a game, one whose gender, I thought, was merely a part of her character, and not the other way round. And yes I am focusing exclusively on one mid-sentence comment amidst a whole review, but this is a comment I can't help but see as a rather large oversight in this case, one I am eager to hear explained. To other commentors who hate Halo - before responding with an all-caps rant about my idiocy, at least have the decency to consider my argument, which can be found here: http://eternallydisputed.com/site/index.php?page=news&type=view&id=omniroths_blog/halo_reach_and_martin_3

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Oh, this is bugging me about Yahtzee, what of multiplayer-only shooters like Counter-Strike, TF2, Battlefield 2, or what have you? Since he seemed to enjoy TF2 if his Orange Box review is anything to go by...

FollowUp

Mar 25, 2010
yes. I'm a halo fan. But even I understood that he did not like the game. I was sick of telling all my friends he didn't like it because he complimented ONE THING.

People in general are too quick to jump to one polar extreme to another.

Jim37F

Nov 22, 2009
OK, I'm gonna go off on a different tangent and gripe about an aspect of Yahtzee's gripe about Halo that I haven't seen yet: His rant about the open doors on the future helicopters. Why do games show that? Because thats what happens in real life! I'm an Active Duty US Army Soldier who's been to Afghanistan and Iraq and when we fly around in helicopters, the doors are often times open, and there is almost always somebody stationed on the edge of the ramp (99% of the time they're behind a nice large machine gun).

This is done for a couple of different reasons, first when the chopper is getting ready to land to either let the troops off or on, having the doors open makes it a lot faster and easier, thus reducing the time the chopper is hovering right above the ground (and thus hideously vulnerable to small arms fire).

Second is the aforementioned door gunner. Kinda hard to shoot back when all the doors/ramps are closed.

And finally helicopters, just like cars, do occasionally break down. Unlike your car that can just coast to a stop on the shoulder, or even a regular plane that's aerodynamic and can glide down somewhat safely, a helicopter is just a big rock that uses its rotors to beat the air into submission, and when the engine powering those rotors quits... well I don't think I have to describe what happens next. The open doors/ramps means that when everything is done crashing and if your actually still alive at this point, you have someplace to exit instead of being trapped inside.

Whew...OK, I'll get off my soap box now, and let you guys return this topic to its subject, a video game that can show helicopters however it damn well pleases because its a fictional game.

PaulDubyaDubya

Oct 9, 2010
CyricZ said:
Yahtzee, hon. I think we need a new metaphor besides "wallpaper paste" to describe something bland.

Unless, of course, you're trying to be ironic in the concept by using the same metaphor for something that's bland and samey, in which case I'll need a cricket bat to properly discipline you.
He could use "porridge" as a metaphor for bland... or just say bland!

jara1018

Feb 11, 2010
WHAT A SURPRISE! Yahtzee didn't like Halo: Reach, it was predictable just like all his opinions/rants/reviews/critics. If video games get you worked up so much why play. He is a rather strange guy, and no one defend him because he hates you too and your not cool for letting him manipulate your opinion because he talks fast and has an accent.I stopped watching his videos for what he had to say along time ago. I only watch his videos because i like the animations against the yellow background its the only reason I'm still here. Just making a prediction "He won't like Gears of War 3 he is gonna reuse the chest-high walls joke, and dirt-brown color pallet jab. Maybe cry how the market is flooded with shooters, games have to stand only on single player bullshit blah blah blah."

PaulDubyaDubya

Oct 9, 2010
I think if I was playing Halo: Reach as an entry point into the franchise (I hate the word but I do have to use it) I would be quite happy not to know what went on in the original Halo Triolgy. I'd like to, depending on if I liked Reach, play the rest of the series to see what happens. I think Halo Reach quite easily stands up on it's own two feet as a single work.

My point is not knowing what has went before (or after) in the series shouldn't really have to come into it if you are reviewing this game. I loved Reach along with Halo: Combat Evolved but I don't really care for 2 and 3 as I agree that games should be all about the campaign, story, whatever drives the single player as i'm not a fan of multiplayer games and most of the annoying spawn that I find on XBOX Live either.

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
Captain Pirate said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
..and why an AI is on a bit of glowy pipe rather than, say, a USB stick.
Yahtzee, I love you.
This too baffled me. If we could probably fit her on a (albeit very large storage-space wise) USB Stick NOW, like, 500 years before the events of Reach, surely they could fit her in something... I don't know, thinner than paper, in 2552.

But it's negligible to me really, Halo was never known for it's realism. I guess it was just for effect, having a glowy blue pipe to signify Six was carrying something pretty damn important.

Anyway, I completely understand Yahtzee's view on Halo, I just disagree with it. Love the entire series [small](call me a fanboy..)[/small], but respect the fact that Yahtzee doesn't.
At least he gives good reasons why.
She is already on a wetware chip, SPARTAN-IIIs do not have the necessary architecture in their suits to support an AI, nor a way to interface with said AI. Hence the reason why if you actually bother to play the first 3 HALO games or the Limited/Legendary HALO : Reach, you will know that SPARTAN-IIs just had their mjolnir suits upgraded to support warship class AI during the Reach engagment.

Hence Cortana gets to ride inside an armored capsule rather then inside Noble Six's noggin.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I still don't understand why Yahtzee won't speak about multiplayer. Sure, after a while the multiplayer will have so few people that you can't get a match, but at least review what's there and then knock it down a few notches if being able to play reach 3 years from now is that important to you. And if anyone pulls the "whiny 12 year old" argument, then I've just lost all respect for you. There's a mute button.

The rest is all opinion. And I would give the Halo series some credit if Master Chief was homosexual.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
TornadoADV said:
She is already on a wetware chip, SPARTAN-IIIs do not have the necessary architecture in their suits to support an AI, nor a way to interface with said AI. Hence the reason why if you actually bother to play the first 3 HALO games or the Limited/Legendary HALO : Reach, you will know that SPARTAN-IIs just had their mjolnir suits upgraded to support warship class AI during the Reach engagment.

Hence Cortana gets to ride inside an armored capsule rather then inside Noble Six's noggin.
Well, see, thing is, I've played all the games but Halo 2, and I remember nothing about being told that Spartan II's armour gets upgraded to carry such an AI. I know they can, obviously, but there was certainly no explanation at all as to why.
And maybe I wanted the Limited Edition of Reach, but didn't have the money.
Don't make assumptions that I can't be fucked to play Halo just because I don't understand why Cortana is in a fat metal pipe.

I never asked why she can't plug into Six's helmet, just why she was stored in something so big.
But if it's an armoured capsule, that makes a lot of sense, thanks.