More Unskippable Piracy Warnings for DVDs

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Oh, they mean THAT Unskippable. Why can't they just admit that it's an internal industry problem, after all, how else would pre colour corrected copies of movies get out?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Oh yeah, this shit is clearly going to get the job done... just makes me give both middle fingers to the screen during those warnings when I watch something alone. So get ready for even more people to start pirating shit when this stuff kicks in, dumb stupid old men...

(I do not suport piracy in any way, shape or form and I pay for all the stuff I get. The mods won't kill me for being snarky about piracy right?)

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
This always annoys me. I'm not a pirate if I'm watching the DVD. I don't need to be told that piracy is a bad thing. When I buy a movie ticket, there isn't a scary warning on the back of the ticket saying "Don't you dare sneak into the movies!"

And, to be brutally honest, are there actually people anywhere in the world who don't know that piracy is illegal and so forth and so on? Does this ad tell anyone anything they didn't already know?

Aug 25, 2009
Yeah I think they should stop trying to inform people of the law and trying to uphold it. I mean, who needs laws and rules? They just get in the way of things.

I'm rapidly losing any sympathy I might have possessed for anyone even vaguely in support of piracy even by apathy and omission. Piracy is illegal. This is a statement you would think it is hard to misunderstand but apparently people really are idiots. I don't need to be reminded again and again that stealing from a shop is wrong, or that copying someone's intellectual property and passing it off as my own is wrong, or that burglary or murder or speeding or assault is wrong (I am not comparing piracy to any of those crimes, I am listing them as crimes I have never had to be reminded about) yet somehow people can't get the hint that when something is illegal, you shouldn't do it.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Am I the only one who read this news title and immediately thought of Graham and Paul's Unskippable?
Yeah, I'm not going to say anything original, it's been said in previous posts, but... what do they hope to accomplish except annoy paying customers?... *sigh*

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
This reminds me of jim sterling's thoughts on DRM where all it does is reward those who do just pirate the movie file instead of paying money for the movie + about 15 minutes of ads and piracy warnings

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
MelasZepheos said:
Yeah I think they should stop trying to inform people of the law and trying to uphold it. I mean, who needs laws and rules? They just get in the way of things.

I'm rapidly losing any sympathy I might have possessed for anyone even vaguely in support of piracy even by apathy and omission. Piracy is illegal. This is a statement you would think it is hard to misunderstand but apparently people really are idiots. I don't need to be reminded again and again that stealing from a shop is wrong, or that copying someone's intellectual property and passing it off as my own is wrong, or that burglary or murder or speeding or assault is wrong (I am not comparing piracy to any of those crimes, I am listing them as crimes I have never had to be reminded about) yet somehow people can't get the hint that when something is illegal, you shouldn't do it.

There are two points you're missing.

Point the first, is that there have always been copyright warnings on videos since durn near the birth of the medium, and yet piracy still occurs. The fact that piracy still occurs suggests that perhaps adding still another warning, in the same space, probably won't be as big a deterrent as the MPAA, FBI, and ICE would seem to think.

Point the second, is that these warnings are being placed on legitimately purchased media, purchased, by presumably, honest, law abiding folk like yourself. Who, like you, don't need to be reminded that unauthorized copying is illegal, and not by the individuals who have illegally downloaded those videos.

It's great that you don't have to be reminded not to shoplift or speed, but I'm willing to wager that you wouldn't shop at a store that made you listen to a 30 second lecture on the illegality of shoplifting from the cashier while you're checking out, or buy a car that would make you listen to a 30 second recording about the illegality of speeding before it let you put it into gear and drive off.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Grey Carter said:
"Law enforcement must continue to piss off legitimate consumers while doing absolutely nothing to combat the actual crime," announced ICE director, John Morton.
Yeah, that's going to be effective.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
No way this plan will ever, ever backfire. Nope, no way. Never.

..Yeah, another 10 second unskippable FBI screen on every dvd I purchase now? Seriously, fuck that.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I'm so glad that they want to ward off piracy by punishing buyers.

That's clearly the sane method. That's why all companies are doing it. We should always trust companies in what they do, they clearly have access to marketing statistics and things that we don't.

It's times like this that I'm glad I couldn't care less about seeing Hollywood movies.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
(wasn't Alan Wake pirated so much, the game was a commercial failure)
Speaking of which, my copy will finish downloading in a minute or two.

On Steam, that is. Considered getting it cheaper on GOG, but I really wanted the soundtrack in Steam's Collector's Edition.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Monoochrom said:
MelasZepheos said:

This may blow your mind, but something being illegal says precisely nothing about the morallity behind it.
If history has taught us anything, it's that all laws are objectively correct and ethically sound.

Edit: ...if only they'd add long, unskippable anti-piracy warnings and ads to all video games to put an end to all video game piracy.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Thanks to new advances in 3D printing, you can illegally download a car!

But you shouldn't. You still can, you just shouldn't.