Mortal Kombat Review

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Well then, I suppose I'm a god. Never had a problem with the fatalities.

Onyx Oblivion said:
I might actually have to get this...I've been laughing at MK since...well...ever. Even the olden days. It seems to have grown competent fighting mechanics, suddenly.
It has. I'm right there with you hating the rest of the series for its shit gameplay, but this one is legitimately good.

AroLombardi said:
Cyber.... Sub-Zero?
It makes sense in context. Play the game to find out. Now.

teh_Canape said:
fuck you Noob Saibot

FUCK.YOU

Don't be dissing my boy now. Well, he was my boy. Then I played Ermac. Now he's not my boy, but he is my future tag partner. So yeah. Don't be hatin'.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Lord Beautiful said:
Don't be dissing my boy now. Well, he was my boy. Then I played Ermac. Now he's not my boy, but he is my future tag partner. So yeah. Don't be hatin'.
he's my boy as well

we go back all the way to Mortal Kombat Trilogy

but god damn his new fatality is too much for me

I'm not squeamish at all, but I swear the first time I pulled that fatality I was like "JESUS NO MAN!!!!"

Dukenstein

Jul 14, 2010
Yossarian1507 said:
Finally. I was really worried there would be no MK review at all.

So... Glad to hear it's good, but I have one important question - how's the balance? Is there any overpowered character, or one who you shouldn't even bother playing with? It's important to me, because every time I pick up a fighter, it turns out I'm taking the crappiest guy of the bunch (Anji Mito in GG, Tager in BlazBlue [although I managed to skill up with him, so at least I'm able to beat up my friends and sometimes even compete on-line], Rock in Soul Calibur III & IV etc.)
There are a few unbalanced characters online. I find Smoke, Scorpion and even Sub-Zero really cheap. The first two more than the third. They are the noob characters of the game with really really really easy moves. Sub-Zero just pisses me off because his play style is so easy to get abused against. An in all, it's good. Also, be prepared to face very very very cheap players in ranked games, they will do anything to win. I/e spam one move.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I freaking love this game. It's the most fun I've had with a fighting game since my awe at the funfest that was Street Fighter IV. Basically combine what SFIV did for Street Fighter and do it with the MK series and you get what everyone wants: back to the beginning, cut out the lame characters that nobody likes (Remember Dairou and Hsu Hao? Me neither, nobody liked them), and recreate what everyone loved all those years ago with modern technology.
However, I will agree that some of the character models are pretty ugly. Then again, that's okay with me half the time because my favorites are Scorpion, Reptile, Ermac and Baraka, and they're all supposed to be freaking ugly. I'm glad I preordered it, as I love Scorpion's classic skin and fatality.
Although, the prize for beating the challenge tower is pretty lame. A skimpier costume for Mileena? I didn't think she could have a skimpier costume! How is that possible?
Oh, wait. She's wearing like 2 bandages. Never mind.
Also, I'm glad that the little "TOASTY!" Dan Forden guy is back. He made everything so fun.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Ha, come to think of it, I was only able to pull off ONE fatality in MK4, and none in the following games or MK2/UMK.

My only problem is the 'persistent gore'. A bloodied and badly ripped face is not pretty to look in the endgame. :p (sigh, at least the girls bras get torn off ... a little > . >).

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Lord Beautiful said:
Noob Saibot + Ermac? Ugh...I don't even want to think about it! They should rule all Realms together. It's not like anyone could stop them.[small] Except Smoke and Scorpion[/small]

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Yossarian1507 said:
Finally. I was really worried there would be no MK review at all.

So... Glad to hear it's good, but I have one important question - how's the balance? Is there any overpowered character, or one who you shouldn't even bother playing with? It's important to me, because every time I pick up a fighter, it turns out I'm taking the crappiest guy of the bunch (Anji Mito in GG, Tager in BlazBlue [although I managed to skill up with him, so at least I'm able to beat up my friends and sometimes even compete on-line], Rock in Soul Calibur III & IV etc.)
It's impossible to make any comments on balance yet since the game hasn't been out long enough and tiers and such only really become relevant at really high levels of play. From my experience though, the game is fairly balanced because most characters have the same basic tools and projectiles aren't the huge deal that they are in say SFIV. That being said, characters with a quick dependable teleport you can use to to punish from any range have a little bit of an edge.

EDIT: The only characters I actively dislike right now are Kano (because his inputs are just weird) and Kitana.

Also. I'm a fellow Tager player and hey, at least he's better than Rachel.
The only class that is unbalanced is Baraka he is the worst of all the fighters (sorry Baraka fans). He has a weak pop up and his most damaging combo is around 20% compared to other fighters that can do more.

Escapist Account

Sep 9, 2009
Forward, back, forward, jump, jump, squat, taunt, moonwalk, loop-de-loop, sacrifice the lamb, quarter circle forward, aaaaand kick button!! Fuck, wrong kick button.
And that is how I always screw up the fatalities.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
I think i was twelve when i first played Mortal Kombat and MK2, it was one of the first games i ever played. Ahh, nostalgia. Years later i was outraged to hear that others were outraged by the violence. For me it was clear as day that it was fantasy and nothing else. Anyway, nice to hear they finally made a good one.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Azmael Silverlance said:
Well Susan i know you are a gamer and all....but just opening the Mortal Kombat review and hearing a female voice i dont know....
Your reaction to the fatality was cute...but i guess thats the issue :D
Your not suppose to be all cute and cuddly in mortal kombat...id expect F bombs and disturbing comments about how you gona pwn your opponent :D
I am always cute and cuddly. It cannot be helped! Well, except when playing Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars...then I scare my dog.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I gotta be honest here.

I think Reptile was cooler when he looked nothing like a Reptile and more like the Copy of Sub Zero and Skorpion.

It's one of those things that links back directly to my childhood when I thought green was the coolest color in the world, and I took that shit seriously.

But yeah, I miss Green ninja outfit. Being an alternate outfit just doesn't work for me.

Look at this bad assness.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
Well Susan i know you are a gamer and all....but just opening the Mortal Kombat review and hearing a female voice i dont know....
Your not suppose to be all cute and cuddly in mortal kombat...id expect F bombs and disturbing comments about how you gona pwn your opponent :D
I am always cute and cuddly. It cannot be helped! Well, except when playing Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars...then I scare my dog.
HHahaahahaha. Oh I'm sorry I just -HAHAHAAHAAHA.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
Furioso said:
I would put Kratos at least in the mid, he can be devestating once you learn his tricks

Captcha: Furequ princplzesk
It would help if he could had moves that had decent startup, mixup, good projectiles, decent wake-up or a lot of stuff. His saving grace is his damage is really good (50-60% per combo). But outside of that, Kratos is really bad right now. I'd care more if he wasn't tourney banned for being a console specific character. Sort of a waste of space. Cool stage though.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Mortal Kombat Review

Mortal Kombat kind of lost its mind for a while, but it's feeling much, much better now.

Read Full Article
Is there a create a fighter mode like there was in Mortal Kombat Armageddon?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Nice touch with the Mortal Kombat theme, that's going to be stuck in my head for a while.

I have to wonder, though, if you're not a fan of fighting games, or playing them competitively, would you still recommend getting Mortal Kombat? I'd imagine it wouldn't be the hardest fighting game to get into, and the fatalities certainly help sell it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Grey Carter said:
Susan Arendt said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
HHahaahahaha. Oh I'm sorry I just -HAHAHAAHAAHA.
DEAD TO ME.

Jumplion said:
Nice touch with the Mortal Kombat theme, that's going to be stuck in my head for a while.

I have to wonder, though, if you're not a fan of fighting games, or playing them competitively, would you still recommend getting Mortal Kombat? I'd imagine it wouldn't be the hardest fighting game to get into, and the fatalities certainly help sell it.
Getting it? Probably not. But I'd at least rent it, especially if you have an equally noobtastic friend to play it with. You'll have a load of fun pulling X-ray moves on each other and doing the Test Your Luck mode.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Jumplion said:

Definitely. The story mode alone is amazing. Every time you encounter a new character, get into an argument with a random person, you settle it with a FIGHT! I was expecting a really cheesy story, but I found the story to be really enjoyable with an unexpected turn of events.

And there's enough extras in this game to warrant the damningly expensive price tag, $80 (canadian dollars) ... seriously?

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Azmael Silverlance said:

So....your dog is not bothered by guts and broken bones....but LEGO cubes and his owner freak him out? o_O