Mortal Kombat Review

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
So, what you brake somones limbs or rip out their organs and it dosent hamper them at all? you stab somone in the brain or shatter their spine, and they still wont die until their hp runs out?

edit: i get that it wants to be over the top and fun cool looking fights, but i feel that i would have a hard time ignoring this.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I have to wonder, though, if you're not a fan of fighting games, or playing them competitively, would you still recommend getting Mortal Kombat? I'd imagine it wouldn't be the hardest fighting game to get into, and the fatalities certainly help sell it.
Getting it? Probably not. But I'd at least rent it, especially if you have an equally noobtastic friend to play it with. You'll have a load of fun pulling X-ray moves on each other and doing the Test Your Luck mode.
May go for a rental if I have the spare time, though I usually prefer to buy it. Dunno, feels more legitimate if I buy it with cold hard cash.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Grey Carter said:
Susan Arendt said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
Well Susan i know you are a gamer and all....but just opening the Mortal Kombat review and hearing a female voice i dont know....
Your reaction to the fatality was cute...but i guess thats the issue :D
Your not suppose to be all cute and cuddly in mortal kombat...id expect F bombs and disturbing comments about how you gona pwn your opponent :D
I am always cute and cuddly. It cannot be helped! Well, except when playing Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars...then I scare my dog.
HHahaahahaha. Oh I'm sorry I just -HAHAHAAHAAHA.
DEAD TO ME.

Jumplion said:
Nice touch with the Mortal Kombat theme, that's going to be stuck in my head for a while.

I have to wonder, though, if you're not a fan of fighting games, or playing them competitively, would you still recommend getting Mortal Kombat? I'd imagine it wouldn't be the hardest fighting game to get into, and the fatalities certainly help sell it.
Getting it? Probably not. But I'd at least rent it, especially if you have an equally noobtastic friend to play it with. You'll have a load of fun pulling X-ray moves on each other and doing the Test Your Luck mode.
I also wasn't expecting to hear a pretty voice for this game. But that made the review even more interesting and made me remember my sister throwing spears with Scorpion in the first MK.

A gruesome scene turned cute by the voice.

Ah the days with friends without command lists trying to guess fatalities...

teh_Canape said:
Lord Beautiful said:
Don't be dissing my boy now. Well, he was my boy. Then I played Ermac. Now he's not my boy, but he is my future tag partner. So yeah. Don't be hatin'.
he's my boy as well

we go back all the way to Mortal Kombat Trilogy

but god damn his new fatality is too much for me

I'm not squeamish at all, but I swear the first time I pulled that fatality I was like "JESUS NO MAN!!!!"
Ditto. And I had already seen Kung Lao's.

Nov 5, 2007
cainx10a said:
And there's enough extras in this game to warrant the damningly expensive price tag, $80 (canadian dollars) ... seriously?
Yah seriously. I kind of jumped when I saw that. The game looks great and all but damn, that's pretty expensive as far as games go.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dont like when reviews get plot wrong. Raiden did not recieve a vision of what happens if Earthrealm loses the 10th tournament. It shows what happens if everything happens as the previous 7 MKs showed. The opening scene is the end of Mortal Kombat: Armaggeddon aka MK7.
Raiden just THINKS it is about the tournament.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
spacewalker said:
So, what you brake somones limbs or rip out their organs and it dosent hamper them at all? you stab somone in the brain or shatter their spine, and they still wont die until their hp runs out?

edit: i get that it wants to be over the top and fun cool looking fights, but i feel that i would have a hard time ignoring this.
Almost every shooter ever. Why can you run around after being shot more than once?
What MK does with surviving wounds is far from new, and its about fun, not realism. Mortal Kombat never pretended to be realistic.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
This is one of those occasions where I really want to have a console just for this game (I don't think I'll want a PS3 anymore).

At the very least, it would be awesome if it's ported to the PC. One can dream.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Saelune said:
I dont like when reviews get plot wrong. Raiden did not recieve a vision of what happens if Earthrealm loses the 10th tournament. It shows what happens if everything happens as the previous 7 MKs showed. The opening scene is the end of Mortal Kombat: Armaggeddon aka MK7.
You realize they don't say that because it SPOILS the story, right?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ace_of_something said:
Saelune said:
No. It doesnt. It was a stated fact way before it came out, and if you played MK1-7 you would know that. AND the opening movie of story mode shows the end results of Armaggeddon. It is only a spoiler for new people. I assure you, there are some major spoilers I could give that even as a huge MK fan was surprised by.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Saelune said:
ace_of_something said:
Saelune said:
No. It doesnt. It was a stated fact way before it came out, and if you played MK1-7 you would know that. AND the opening movie of story mode shows the end results of Armaggeddon. It is only a spoiler for new people. I assure you, there are some major spoilers I could give that even as a huge MK fan was surprised by.
So your logic is that if you read reviews beforehand and played all the other games it doesn't spoil?
It doesn't specifically say in the opening cutscene that the events occurring are after Armageddon all you see is ol' funny hat being beaten up. It also DEFINITELY does not say what 'he must win' means and up until a certain point in the story it's reasonable for anyone who hasn't played much MK to think that 'he must win' means exactly what Raiden thinks it does.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ace_of_something said:
Saelune said:
ace_of_something said:
Saelune said:
So your logic is that if you read reviews beforehand and played all the other games it doesn't spoil?
It doesn't specifically say in the opening cutscene that the events occurring are after Armageddon all you see is ol' funny hat being beaten up. It also DEFINITELY does not say what 'he must win' means and up until a certain point in the story it's reasonable for anyone who hasn't played much MK to think that 'he must win' means exactly what Raiden thinks it does.
Actually I did not even know who he meants, nor did I say who now that I know or even suggest it. And it is not wrong to assume people know what happens in a series. Hell, people who jump late into a series often require spoilers or else its all confusing babble.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
I thought it was a bit weird that a woman was reviewing the game.
Uh, why? Admittedly, my fighting game tastes tend more toward the Guilty Gear/Blazblue realm,
As someone who loves the crap out of guilty gear/blazblue I got to ask, how does this game compare?

I'm looking to get into other fighters but the last one I tried (street fighter 4) was a disappointment.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Sinclose said:
HK_01 said:
Strangely enough though, the vast majority of the blood and gore are cut off in story mode. There aren't even fatalities in that, because they need the characters alive.
I'm perplexed by that, they managed to work Fatalities into Shaolin Monks. It'd be a an opportunity to educate us on the basics

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Nurb said:
Babalities, animalities, and friendships embarassing? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU??
Who knows? I'm surprised most folks forget that those were Midway's methods of appealing to the fans/making fun of the controversy around the Mortal Kombat name. I still applaud them for making fun of the nay-sayers like that.

Vanguard_Ex said:
Agreed on the God-forsaken fatalities. In training, yeah cool. In actual fights, my character just dances around a bit then throws a simple punch. Why won't you fucking work, dammit?!
You have to be fast. You input those commands too slowly, or in the wrong location, you won't get anything. Try holding down Block while you input your directions, then let go before the action button press if you have trouble.

ace_of_something said:
Saelune said:
I have to disagree on your argument, ace. That fight takes place atop the Armageddon pyramid, with the panning camera shots showing everyone besides Shao Khan and Raiden dead around it. Sure, going in blind you wouldn't know what that was, but here's my counter for that argument.

- Any gamer with even minutes of spare time can research the Mortal Kombat series, and find out what happened up to that point, and get some idea of why things are going to hell so hard. Also, since this Mortal Kombat is a reboot, you're not really spoiling much by looking up the stories of the old games.

I've done this with other series I jumped into late, such as Fallout and Morrowind, even when I plan to play those games later on. It's not a deal-breaker to not research things like this, but knowing that the series has a long history, if I was new to MK, and heard that this game was a reboot, I would surly want to know what had happened and why upon seeing this opening.

Tim_Buoy

Jul 7, 2010
voetballeeuw said:
I really enjoy this game. It's actually the first fighter game I've played with any continuity, and it's great. It's quite easy to just pick up a controller and start playing. The story mode is a good amount of fun. My only problem are the 1v2 fights which can be ridiculous.
god this a thousands times i loathed the goro kintaro fight

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
AgentBJ09 said:
I have to disagree on your argument, ace. That fight takes place atop the Armageddon pyramid, with the panning camera shots showing everyone besides Shao Khan and Raiden dead around it. Sure, going in blind you wouldn't know what that was, but here's my counter for that argument.

- Any gamer with even minutes of spare time can research the Mortal Kombat series, and find out what happened up to that point, and get some idea of why things are going to hell so hard. Also, since this Mortal Kombat is a reboot, you're not really spoiling much by looking up the stories of the old games.

I've done this with other series I jumped into late, such as Fallout and Morrowind, even when I plan to play those games later on. It's not a deal-breaker to not research things like this, but knowing that the series has a long history, if I was new to MK, and heard that this game was a reboot, I would surly want to know what had happened and why upon seeing this opening.
I guess I'm old. If I want to get into a series I tend to almost always start at the beginning.
Though in a fighting game series that would be silly. So perhaps you're right. My only qualm was with the 'but raiden only THINKS...' part of the above Saelune's post.
They need to remake/use the same concept as Shaolin Monks. That was hella fun to play with my old roomie.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Actually looks very good, I think I just might go out and g-- oh right, Australia. I forget that my fragile convict mind is just one violent videogame away from snapping into a murderous rage.

Well that's a pain, it sounds like it exceeded expectations.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
ace_of_something said:
I guess I'm old. If I want to get into a series I tend to almost always start at the beginning.
Though in a fighting game series that would be silly. So perhaps you're right. My only qualm was with the 'but raiden only THINKS...' part of the above Saelune's post.
They need to remake/use the same concept as Shaolin Monks. That was hella fun to play with my old roomie.
Technically speaking, I can understand why Raiden had the misconception: He received those visions during the tenth tournament from the first game. He had no idea what was going on, even if the player did.

Still, Shaolin Monks was a spectacular game. I miss that thing, and I want it for my 360, even if Deadly Alliance doesn't work on it.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I'm waiting for my copy, it's an a covert mission through the Australian borders at the moment and should be here shortly.

First game I've been genuinely hyped for and buying on launch since... Metal Gear Solid 3 I believe. It's been looking like it's everything I was hoping for. I didn't think the Mortal Kombat series would ever be this good again and I'm really glad it's come back to pop culture and has new products being made. Sure the newer 3D games weren't bad, but they just never clicked properly to me and it always felt like they were lacking.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Eldarion said:
As someone who loves the crap out of guilty gear/blazblue I got to ask, how does this game compare?

I'm looking to get into other fighters but the last one I tried (street fighter 4) was a disappointment.
It's probably closer to Street Fighter than it is BB but it's still an awesome game. Best game in the series by a country mile and, if the character designs were better (ugh. Sonya) and the controls were a little friendlier to non-MK sticks it'd be damn near perfect.

That being said, while I much prefer MK's button input over street fighter (not a 360 in sight thank god) the presence of a block button in a 2d fighter is and has always been, dumb.