Most Beautiful Video Game Location?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Pretty much everything in Red Dead Redemption, but there was one area in partuclar that struck me. Just heading past (or on the way to) Thieves Landing, there was a small bridge crossing over the water. I got there just as the sun was starting to rise. I had to stop, as it eas easily one of the most amazing scenes I had ever seen in a game.

In the first Unreal game, the first outdoor area you came across, NyLeves falls. Granted it doesn't look like much these days but back then, especially in contrast to the dark prison ship you'd just climbed out off it looked spectacular.

It's something I've always remembered the Unreal Tournament games for as well, having some of the shiniest multiplayer arenas ever. Especially that one stage set amongst a forest of giant trees crossed with walkways, where the gravity got lower the higher you climbed. All that, without a chest high wall in site. Maybe one day, Epic will make another UT game in the old school style, and maybe people will actually play for a decent amount of time.

But I digress.

To back up a point from earlier in this topic, that vista from ME2's Overlord DLC was quite the view indeed. :)

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Muramasa: The Demon Blade's Japan.

Oh my goodness. That game. There's some repetition in the environments but they're breathtaking every single last time.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Forgotten_Capital

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gXV72Zcq4o

All of that combined made for an emotional experience in-game.

ArtemusClydeFrog

Feb 1, 2011
pearcinator said:
The game needs to immerse me enough that I actually feel like I am there
I applaud the statement above. Really caring about and feeling "at home" in a game world can sometimes make its locations and environments seem much more beautiful and engaging than they would as screenshots etc.

For me some examples (some of which have been posted a couple of times) could be Besaid Island in FFX (it is the first truly beautiful location in the game and the carefree feel it had to it instantly made me smile), the cathedrals in AC:2 (I've been to Italy many times and the game really captures the feeling of awe that you get from stepping inside such a giant religious monument), all of RDR, but especially Tall Trees, Nuevo Paraiso and the wreck of Serendipity when the setting sun's rays reflect in the surface of the water, and many places in Oblivion - Cheydinhal and Skingrad in particular. Many of the towns in Dragonquest VIII were painstakingly romantic to look at as well.

Hanibal_Rising

He who eats the face.
Nov 17, 2010
halofreak123 said:
Hanibal_Rising said:
A
halofreak123 said:
Crysis....
All of it.
Every single local, with the exeption of the *SPOILER ALERT!!!* Iced over jungle. That is just plain frighting.
My thoughts exactly! What did you think of the first time you see the ruined Time Square in Crysis 2?
I fudged my pants, that's what happened (that was probably after the fight too, that was REALLY challenging).

Also, I thought that Crysis was more beautiful than Crysis 2, only because of the whole tropical island thing. I'm surprised by how little people think the same way.
Nah I agree the whole city kinda seemed to blend together after awhile and only the key land marks stood out. I think the jungle just had more ooo and aaaah if you know what I mean. xD

XxSummonerxX

May 17, 2009
Depends on your definition of beautiful. Do you mean real life beautiful, with wonderful trees and flowers, clear skies, idyllic villages, animals, etc.

Or do you mean awe inspiring graphics of any kind?

For the first one... The Grizzly Hills in Northrend in World of Warcraft... so peaceful. Despite my guilds constant questioning, that is where I spend most of my time when I'm not raiding or farming herbs.

For the second one. That is tough. A lot of good games have come about recently with amazing graphics, and also a lot of games with graphics that were great for their time, so ANOTHER TWO CATEGORIES.

Best for it's time. Oblivion. Before all the Morrowind fanboys get all up in my grills (I joke about the stupid annoying crappy way of speaking), it was just brown, and it was just really blocky.

Best of the recent years. You've put me back on the difficulty again. Assassin's Creed is up there. I know neither of them are out yet but screenshots and gameplay vids from Skyrim and Revelations look brilliant, so I'm going to hold my tongue for now.

So that you have an answer for your archiving... I'm gonna saaaaaaay... Bulletstorm. LAWWWWWWL.

CANofKAM

Nov 21, 2010
Simple, in the spongebob game for the PS2, when you were up in the needle tower thing. That was a kick ass view of Bikini Bottom.

Herbsk

May 31, 2011
Whispering Cynic said:
There was this place, a camp, in the lands of Mania in Shivering Isles that had an incredible view of the ocean and of the sky. It was the first time in a game when I just stood for like fifteen minutes and watched the sunrise. I was captivated by the night sky at first and then the came the sunrise... just wow.
This one is my personal favorite - but even more the night sky than the sunrise - In Mania. I spent a good 30 minutes staring at the night sky in the Shivering Isles, and the sunrise. I also remember thinking that the waterfalls on the divide between Mania and Dementia (by the capital city) were really beautiful and worth seeing!

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Iacon City in Transformers: War for Cybertron is particularly gorgeous. A shame you couldn't spend more time in it.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Surprised no one has mentioned either of the first two Kingdom Hearts games, they not insanely technical but damn do they ever look nice. Also the world and characters are very well realized.

Okami - Only game i've ever disliked playing but continued because I wanted to keep seeing more of it.

Assassins Creed 1 - I loved finding all the high points and running around, shame there wasn't a game inside of it.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Incredible variety in locations, play mechanics and music.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
LordXel said:
Metroid Prime Phendrana Drifts or Tallon Overworld. ... Actually thinking about anything from that game reminds me of how beautiful it all was.
I find your avatar awesome, but for some reason it bothers me....

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
McNinja said:
The planet in Bulletstorm. It's one of the best environments I've seen in a long while.
There were some gorgeous vistas in that game, I loved the distant ruined buildings. Couldn't find a good screenshot of this one, but it was the one that stuck in my head:

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
The Citadel Presidium in Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Also: GODFUCKINGDAMMITAAAAAAUUUGH I pushed that fucking red button AGAIN. It wasn't even on purpose this time!

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
Hanibal_Rising said:
halofreak123 said:
Hanibal_Rising said:
A
halofreak123 said:
Crysis....
All of it.
Every single local, with the exeption of the *SPOILER ALERT!!!* Iced over jungle. That is just plain frighting.
My thoughts exactly! What did you think of the first time you see the ruined Time Square in Crysis 2?
I fudged my pants, that's what happened (that was probably after the fight too, that was REALLY challenging).

Also, I thought that Crysis was more beautiful than Crysis 2, only because of the whole tropical island thing. I'm surprised by how little people think the same way.
Nah I agree the whole city kinda seemed to blend together after awhile and only the key land marks stood out. I think the jungle just had more ooo and aaaah if you know what I mean. xD
Yep.
The jungle had more of a "hide in a tree, jump and and assassinate" sort of feel. Now it feels kind of off putting to do stealth.