Most Beautiful Video Game Location?

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Don't think it's been implanted in a game yet, but I'll just go with my favorite place(s) on the planet. The Northern tundra's, (Siberia, Scandinavia, Alaska, etc) [img=http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/faculty/ritter/images/biosphere/vegetation/tundra_ice_mounds_Alaska_DDS21_LMC0007.jpg]
[img=http://www.marietta.edu/~biol/biomes/images/tundra/alaskapipeline1.jpg]
[img=http://www.alaska-in-pictures.com/data/media/19/fall-tundra-with-mountains_4433.jpg]

Pic's don't seem to work, let me know. (Probably my internet being a dumb)

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Jacob.pederson said:
OhJohnNo said:
Space, Homeworld.

The above is one tiny smidgen of the sheer beauty in Homeworld's galaxy.
My rendition of the iconic mothership :) [http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/80449637/] and yes its from Homeworld 2, but it still counts.
*sniff* It's beautiful...

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
The great ocean of water in KOTOR was beautiful.

Also, Myst IV: Revelation. All of it.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Pretty much the entirity of Okami was beautiful to behold, and I know how people hated the sailing, but I loved the open seas of Wind Waker...oh and I will always have a place in my heart for Mulgore in WoW, so pretty.

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
I'd have to say most of the areas in Enslaved. Every time I finished climbing a structure I'd take a moment to look around the scenery. I loved the amount of effort that had been put into backgrounds in that game

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Final Fantasy X's Farplane, especially the high quality little snippet where you see it clearly.

super_mumbles

Sep 24, 2008
Pre-searing Ascalon from Guild Wars.

I remember making a new character once, just so I could go running around looking at stuff there.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2
Oblivion

These 3 games have places where I have stopped and just stared and admired the vista I saw before me. There are not many games where I do that, the game needs to immerse me enough that I actually feel like I am there (Mass Effect 2 especially was the most immersive game I have ever played...the only universe that I really want to be a part of!)

zepher171

Jan 7, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Although it's not a favourite game I always thought Besaid Island from FFX was really pretty.
I was actually gonna post the same thing heheh. I always love going back to Besaid and running around under the waterfalls and such and amongst all the old machina ruins it just visually awesome and like kerpow.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Battlefield in Pong. jk

i always found the Convenant ships is Halo to be quite awe inspiring.
Fountain of Dreams stage in melee.
all of the stages in Fzero GX. There is a surprising amount of detail in a world you are not supposed to see since you're regularly breaking the sound barrier.
Shadow of the Colossus
anything in metroid prime. Heck the menu of MP3 was creepy beautiful.

ToxicOranges

Aug 7, 2010
Lets see... beautiful games.

Well, Mulgore and the Barrens in World of Warcraft - beautiful area's, that I probably wont forget until the first time I get smashed.

EvE Online is full of awesome space and architecture (if buildings count)

The snowy mountains of Oblivion are awesome sauce, and Skyrim is chock full of those too; cant wait for more of Bethesda's best!

And sometimes, the synchronising in Assassins Creed (Any of them) really made me stop and stare at the cities.

EDIT: Damn! How could I forget Okami as well! ANYWHERE in Okami! Anywhere!

Croix Sinistre

Oct 25, 2009
Two instances really stand out to me among others,

one is the night sky in the Shivering Isles DLC for Oblivion, holy crap all the colors and stars and galaxies! One of the few times I've stopped just to gaze at scenery.

And also, Mass Effect 2. I love sci-fi and the ME universe gets the aesthetic part down so so right.

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
What I've seen of Flower is absolutely incredible. Viva Pinata is another one I haven't played but have heard is fantastic.

I'll also second anyone who's said Shadow of the Colossus or Ico. I'm not sure I've seen EVE Online mentioned, but if you strip away the interface, I think the game world is absolutely gorgeous- space games, there's not nearly so much to the world, so I don't think there's nearly as much of an excuse to get things wrong. Maybe I'd also cite Homeworld/Catacylsm/Homeworld 2 (especially the PDS mod) in that vein.

I was always a big fan of Rez. I get the feeling that Children of Eden might feature up there as a visual feast.

If I had to pick a modern shooter type, Battlefield 3 looks incredible.

CrazyHatMan

Jun 21, 2009
World of warcraft has some really breathtaking scenery, some of my favorties are Howling fjord and Grizzly hills, Ashenvale, winterspring and the Temple of the moon in Darnassus.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
The Clear Sky camp from S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky. You wake up to a sunrise with exquisite volumetric light filtering down through the trees. Absolutely unforgettable.

Screw that. The entire S.T.A.L.K.E.R series had some of the most eerily beautiful visuals I have ever seen.