Most depressing movie you ever saw

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Here's a wierd one:

Happy Feet, which tells kids that even if you're societies outcast, as long as you try you'll come back the hero or atleast get the girl. Rather than the reality where you start out an outcast, then turn into a dirty old man/woman who has 40 cats and is destined to become catfood.

Sora112112

Oct 22, 2009
ecoho said:
bridge to terribithea.........this is supposed to be a kids movie how?
you know i was thinking the same thing...

to make things worst I watched a week after my nana died to take my mind off of death, needless to say I was crying after it...

IsraelRocks

Apr 21, 2010
believer258 said:
The first few minutes of "Up".

God, that was saddening. It made me think "what the hell is the point of happiness if, in the end, you're just going to be sadder than before"?

You think you had it bad? i went to see it with a bunch of 12 year old kids.
man those first couple of minutes are depressing.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
"Threads" it's a movie about what would happen to Great britain if there was a nuclear war. But the storyline centers around a young couple and their two families.

The young woman is the only survivor of the two families. The rest dies in the blast or succumbs to radiation. She later gives birth to her dead fiancés child alone in a barn (since the hospitals are almost litteraly bathing in the blood of the survivors and probably because they're out of supplies anyway). The woman and her girl is forced to work on the fields to get their food rations and the young woman dies roughly ten years after the war, leaving the girl to fend for herself. The girl is later raped by a boy that's roughly her age and becomes pregnant. And the movies ends with the girl giving birth to her child which turns out to be still born, most likely because of the radiation.

Mr.SunShine

Feb 25, 2010
Haven't seen many sad movies, so I'd have to say "The boy in striped pajamas"

'bout the child of one of Hitler's High ranking officers befriending a boy in auschwitz.

That ending... ugh.

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
The Road

Depressing story, depressing color, depressing atmosphere. There is nothing artistically or emotionally redeeming about the movie, at least in my opinion.

Rockchimp69

Dec 4, 2010
Love exposure.
It's general theme isn't sad and it doesn't end especially badly (I won't spoil) but all the shit that happens to Yu in that movie was just crushing.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
As Schindler's List. Pan's Labyrinth, and quite a few of the other real tear-jerkers have already been mentioned, I'll just toss an obscure one onto the pile.

Osama.

The first movie shot in Afghanistan since the Taliban's fall, it tells the story of a starving mother and daughter (appx age 12) who are forced to cut the daughter's hair and dress her as a boy named Osama in order for "him" to find work so they could eat. Naturally, the girl can't pass for a boy thanks to having no knowledge of what the men were educated in (such as the Koran). She winds up the wife of a ranking Taliban official. The final shot is her climbing up to her wedding bed, crying, with her elderly husband following with a leering face following up the ladder behind her.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Se7en made me want to go on a shooting rampage. That movie was so utterly dark, depressing, cynical and all sorts of things like that it almost started being silly.

And I could say Gran Torino. It wasn't really depressing, but I was surprised how I nearly yelled "NOOOO WALT PLEASE DON'T DIE" at the screen. When the end credits rolled I could only sit in my chair and stare.

The Downfall (Der Untergang), the movie where all the "Hitler hears from [insert rndom thing]" videos are taken from. The desperation and atmosphere of impending doom were so thick I could have built a house out of it. And it shows child soldiers getting shot, for christ's sakes!

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Well, not a movie, but I've already seen my thoughts posted, so I'll go with an anime:

Berserk.
That is some soul-rending shit.