Most depressing movie you ever saw

Rathands

Oct 4, 2010
Plague Dogs. I watched all the way through that film, desperately hoping that something good would happen in the end for those poor animals AND it's supposed to be a childrens' film!

LordSnakeEyes

Mar 9, 2009
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

[spoiler/] From what one can extrapolate from what the guy says about the future, he comes from at least a few decades in the future or from a post WW3 world. If so, their love can never be because she'll either be old (even if she's 30 something, he'll still be a minor) and that goes without mentionning she may very well die during the war... So all her hopes are in vain and she would be better off never having met him. [/spoiler]

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The Illusionist

(french cartoon, not edward norton)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775489/

It is high art and it will make you cry

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
J3envolio said:
Hagi said:
Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Most movies mentioned in this thread I've seen, none come close to this if you ask me.
See now I watched this and within the first 20 minutes I figured out what was going to happen at the end. I just thought it was a bit too slow. It's a sad ending but I wouldn't say it's the most depressing film ever. Or maybe I'm just heartless.

Gladiator. It's not exactly depressing but it's emotional. That ending gets be every time.
For me that was exactly why it was so depressing.

From the start you know it's coming. You keep hoping it won't. You see it inching closer and closer and throughout you feel something should happen to prevent it, I mean surely the universe can't be THAT cold and cruel.

But the universe is. And it happens. It was inevitable.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
The Mist, the actions of people and that ending is just cruel.
Toy Story 3. I don't think I've ever cried watching a film but my god. When they were going into the furnace I came pretty damned close. The ending was also more than a little heart wrenching.
Pan's Labyrinth for various reasons. The eye monster was extremely creepy though.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Trezu said:
CM156 said:
Schindler's list

Anyone else who has seen this movie can attest to the reasons I was crying like a newborn child at the end.
people in my classes laughed at the movie........yeah i know

anyway 'Marley and Me' because you know why thats what
Meh, I can understand the laughing a little bit. Schindler (the movie character, not the real man) himself is quite a bit over-the-top if you ask me. He manages to charm about every single Nazi officer he meets, keeps his cool whilst his wife visits and a naked woman he just slept with walks around in his apartment and basically goes around giving teddy bears to little Jewish girls.

For me he was basically portrayed as some sort of Greek half god come down from Olympus. Then in the credits we read how, in reality, he was unable to keep his marriage going or even start a semi-successful business.

Don't get me wrong, what he did was amazing and heroic in every single way. But he's still human in the end and not the half god he was portrayed as in the movie. And I could see how his half god portrayal can be a bit laughable.

LGCzero

Mar 5, 2010
Easily for me the most depressing film is Mother Night. Perhaps not as sad as some films, but check it out and you will see what I mean.

Drtfgf5

May 24, 2011
Its a fight between "UP" Wall-E and Toy Story 3, I felt my soul being eaten by angry tribals.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Logic 0 said:
Toy story 3, I felt my soul dying when the movie ended.
I was thinking of this, but then I remembered Click ... I called my rents after that movie it was so sad.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
CM156 said:
Schindler's list

Anyone else who has seen this movie can attest to the reasons I was crying like a newborn child at the end.
"I could have done more"

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
NovaCascade said:
Henkie36 said:
Titanic was pretty depressing, but not a real surprise. Pearl Harbor sucked, but it was pretty sad. And need I even mention every Disney movie ever made?
I'm glad someone else mentioned pearl harbour. I was in tears during the attack, couldn't even finish watching the movie. Just got up and walked out of my lounge room and left the rest of my family sitting there.
I was actually referring to the end of the movie, but I don't want to spoil anything here.

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
Children of Men. Even with
a happy ending such as a new hope for mankind, the foggy ending left me so depressed I could barely walk.

It faded afterwards when I watched the hangover tho

Also Saving Private Ryan

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Minigrinch said:
Pan's Labyrinth, along with having one of the most creepy monsters in anything I have seen.
Atleast it had a happy ending and the bad guy got what he deserved.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
I want to see the movie, but I have a hard time when it comes to emotional movies... :(

I know it's a good movie from all my friends giving it a high recommend.

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
The Girl Next Door.. No, not the Elisha Cuthbert movie, this one:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830558/

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
Klarinette said:
It would have been a bajillion times better, though, if
Will Ferrell's character actually died instead of the director taking the Disney ending and making the writer of the book change the absolute most perfect ending.
Just like if no one actually spoke in Wall-E - would have been soooo much better, as awesome as it is already.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the both of these movies would have had a larger impact if this is how they were executed. Stranger than Fiction especially. Now it's just a kind of forgettable movie in the long run.

And Frodo should have died and Sam should have taken the ring to the end... even if it's not in the book that way.