Most devastating loss of a save file

Operative1980

Oct 1, 2010
My laptop power failed while playing Minecraft. The map file didnt save and I had a chunk error. unfortuntely that chunk contained most of my lava tower strong hold for most of the stuff id had accumulated over the weeks of play.I new have a new laptop

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Silver Version
Fare well to Typhlosion, Lv 80 Jigglypuff, Lv 80 Lapras, Lugia and Espeon :(

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
A few years back, my Xbox 360 HDD failed.

What did I lose? Let's recap.

Over 150 hours of Mass Effect, with my main at level 58.
Well over 700 hours of Oblivion, with literally EVERYTHING done.
Crackdown campaign, gone.
Bye bye to Lost Planet's campaign data.
So long, Dead Rising saves.
Adios, Assassin's Creed.
Gone was the Chromehounds mechs, The Darkness' campaign, Forza 2 and my pimped garage and superb cars and artwork...

Everything.

Also, when I was a kid, my front door swung into my Gameboy. Pokémon Blue version, wiped in an instant. My level 98 Shiny Dragonite, level 100 Mewtwo, level 100 Blastoise, level 95 Articuno, Zapdos and a level 92 or 93 Moltres were some of the casualties.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Silent Hill.

I got everything, no rock was left unturned; no closet was left unopened; no puzzle was left undone; no weapon was left untouched; no monster was left alive.

Then, I was going to start a new game, when my PS1 suddenly decided it would be fun to corrupt all my save files.

Long-Story-Short: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I lost my save files for FF7-9 through a single corrupted memory card. I also lost my Parasite Eve file, and my Dino Crisis 2 file, which had everything unlocked. Feels bad, man.

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
I accidentally saved a new game of Ace Combat Zero over a fully completed on-all-difficulty-have-all-medals game.

Mudkipith

May 11, 2011
My 10 TB external hard drive filled with all my games, save files, and music was dropped by my little cousin while I was moving.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Mine wasn't actually a save loss but it's just as bad, alright so I was playing Oblivion awhile back and when I get really immersed in a game I forget about the save feature, anyway I'm sneaking around with my Rogue with 95% Invisibility and I find the ultimate spell for him in a chest, a spell called The Reaper's Touch. It allowed me to kill things in one hit as long as I was undetected, so I went around exploring and killing everything I came across in one hit but what's this I hear? *Snap* What was that? Fuck... crushed by boulders... -.- I return to the chest to retrieve the spell but oh no... it's a different spell, I reload the save around 7 times and it's always a different spell, never again was it my lovely Reaper's Touch. =(

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Redlin5 said:
October 15th, 2006

AC cable for Gameboy Color breaks powerflow while saving a game file on Pokemon Yellow. All of my favorite Pokemon from 8 years of playing were lost. I had moved all compatible Pokemon off of my Crystal game in preperation for restarting that game.

I was devastated.
Yeah, a similar thing happened to one of my Blue saves like that; I was very unhappy. Its especially bad if you had really high level pokemon you obtained legitimately because then that's dozens of hours gone.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
FIFA 2009 on the PSP. I raised Chester (0.5 out of 5 star team) from Division 1 to the Premiership using basically the original squad, I only signed 4 extra players. I had 3 games to go until I won the Premiership. I woke up on a Saturday morning, flicked my PSP on and went downstairs. I looked at the screen and saw that my saves had been bought up, and out of instinct I highlighted my save and clicked X

It turns out it was asking me what I wanted to delete, not to load :( 6 months of travel time gone in a second.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
My first save file in Baldur's Gate II. My character was a lvl. 20 Fighter with nearly all of the enchanted swords in the game, and my entire team could mow through most common enemies with no sweat. I was in the Underdark when I had last saved the game. Unfortunately, after that the game decided it would be fun to corrupt all the files, so I had to uninstall and reinstall the game, losing my character forever. I have not been able to go back to that game for an extended amount of time since. :,(

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Joshimodo said:
Also, when I was a kid, my front door swung into my Gameboy. Pokémon Blue version, wiped in an instant. My level 98 Shiny Dragonite, level 100 Mewtwo, level 100 Blastoise, level 95 Articuno, Zapdos and a level 92 or 93 Moltres were some of the casualties.
Umm, there were no shiny Dragonites in Pokémon Blue... the feature was introduced in Gen 2 on the Gameboy Colour.

OT: For me it was (oddly) not pokémon (I enjoy playing them again, so that has never been a biggy) But; oblivion.
Literally every possible quest done. And suddenly gone.

Damn you XBox hard drive...

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
90+ hours over 3 complete campaigns of Dragon age origins, one day I went on and all my saves were corrupted, may they rest in peace :(

Above

Oct 3, 2009
Oblivion,About 15 level 40+ ALL Legit,Xbox memory,Dies randomly. *Sniff Sniff*

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Don said:
Redlin5 said:
October 15th, 2006

AC cable for Gameboy Color breaks powerflow while saving a game file on Pokemon Yellow. All of my favorite Pokemon from 8 years of playing were lost. I had moved all compatible Pokemon off of my Crystal game in preperation for restarting that game.

I was devastated.
Yeah, a similar thing happened to one of my Blue saves like that; I was very unhappy. Its especially bad if you had really high level pokemon you obtained legitimately because then that's dozens of hours gone.
I had about two dozen legitmate level 90's on that game. I was upset enough that after it was gone forever, I didn't play Pokemon for about 3 months.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
My entire PS2 memory card was stolen a few months ago. It had all my PS2 game save files on them. 1000+ hours, gone.

Geek_DR

Dec 14, 2010
The oldest one I can remember is having my PC die and being unable to retrieve my save files for Deus Ex. I was close to finishing it (at least i think I was... I've never finished it since.)

More recently: Having grown tired of my sluggish PC, I reformatted as I do once or twice a year. I always back up everything automatically and I had hand checked my save files, personal work etc. (One of which is a new attempt at beating Deus Ex.) After it is up and running again I realize I had not backed up the Minecraft saves! FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU (stupid obscure appdata/roaming directory) So yeah, good bye to my massive fort with minecart metro and rollercoster... yeah....

EDIT:
heh... I thought of an older one. Although not strictly a file, anyone ever written down the save codes for old NES and GB games like Metroid and then forgotten where you put the paper?

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Hybrid Heaven, way back one. The neighbour felt it would be funny to play around with the menu just to get me nervous. He erased my save file.

He ruined out to a mysoginistic and racist asshole, so it's ok to not liking on all accounts.

Dejawesp said:
Final fantasy tactics. Max level character that mastered every single job. I cried a little.
I restarted my campaign three times over this.

But at least I played better each time.

Dapsen

Nov 9, 2008
My Pokémon Blue save file. It happened so suddenly... Its gone now.

*cries*..