Most emotional songs in games

DSK-

May 13, 2010
C&C and Red Alert had some great tracks that got the emotions flowing. I guess to me, hearing them brings back nostalgia. Hearing "Unit lost", "Construction complete", "Our base is under attack" and the like to audio back drops such as these two, is priceless.

I'd also like to mention that the tracks of each of the races in Starcraft seemed to epitomise the species they represented. For example, the Terran's music is industrial sounding, espousing their tenaciousness and adaptability whereas the Protoss music is more mysterious and very alien sounding :D

Pretty much ANY Total Annihilation track gives me goosebumps - the soundtrack is just amazingly epic.

Mass Effect 2

I got teary eyed, I'll admit it :D

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
AngelSword said:
I have had a few songs that I felt were really moving.

This one actually inspired me to dive headfirst into teaching myself the violin

Dfskelleton said:
Don't tell me when you first heard this you didn't think: "IT'S TIME TO KICK ASS."
To you, good sir, I give you this:
Thanks, this is a badass remix.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Obvious answer:Also an obvious answer:
Because it fits so well with the plot of the game. The game isn't out yet, but when I saw the trailer and understood what the game was about, it was pretty damn moving:

I would include some picks from Rez, but it's hard to get the songs right outside of the game. Suffice to say, they go beyond the heart or the brain, they hit you in the spine.

retro himself

Nov 14, 2007
Also, I can't believe the Play! Symphony hasn't been posted yet.
The beginning is just so nice. Check the other related videos for more awesome music.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I was mostly unimpressed with Final Fantasy XIII, but this song really hit me emotionally:

TheSnesDuckling

Apr 3, 2011
I'm drawn to put Mass Effect's Vigil version here, because I could spend and hour just listening to it and thinking about lost galaxies, civilizations, and undiscovered planets. But, personally, I think Chrono Trigger has one of the best OST's when it comes to matching the music with the emotion you're supposed to be feeling in the scene you're in. I guess you could call them "emotional."

This one really paints the sorrow and misery the poor people live in, and the deserted ruined future caused by Lavos

Also, this.

The Geek Lord

Apr 15, 2009
... I'm the only one who thought of the Tales of the Abyss soundtrack? Well fuck you all too.

Also, all of this post could contain spoilers, so... Click at your own risk. I guess.

Monster Hunter's soundtrack, while not as touching (lacking a story line can do that to you) still had a few tracks of this variety.

Now, I haven't played much of Ace Combat. I've only played a bit of 4, 5, and Zero. But still, I've heard the soundtracks and... My god, if Keiki Kobayashi isn't the best music composer out there, then I have no idea who or what is.
Best. Song. Ever.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
The main theme from Mass Effect 2. I get goosebumps whenever I hear it.
Linky [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvwAYLWO88]

Jul 24, 2008
Kriz - Remotion
From Run, Elephant Run. Though it is only a short flash game it is one of the most emotional games i have ever played.

TOTL_UNIALAYSHUN

Aug 24, 2010
Track #1 on the Assassin's Creed 2 soundtrack, "Earth" is really quite moving. The entire soundtrack was moving, to be honest. That game was phenominal.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I am even overcome by tears just thinking about the one spoken line in "Smiles and Tears" from Earthbound:
I Miss You
If you haven't played it, you can't quite understand it, but after fighting perhaps the greatest evil in the world, there is something quite moving about it.

"Late Goodbye" is, in fact, made by Poets of the Fall for Max Payne II, and thus constitutes as a Song for the video game.

Okay, Mood Whiplash. The Penny Arcade: On The Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 1 soundtrack definitely made me fall in love with Penny Arcade Games, not to mention the humor the game had, but Mc Frontalot appearing on the credits made me think of every 90s soundtrack ever, and that's... not necessarily a bad thing.

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
A few ones that really, REALLY made a great impact on me:

Along with

And also

Anyone who knows these games know how utterly great music they had.

...also, one more for awesomeness

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Not every emotional song has to be sad, guys. There are other emotions that don't bring about feelings of regret and sorrow. There are also songs to exemplify said other emotions. Like happiness, or silliness.

Anyway, here's my take on the most emotional song in any video game, ever.

Can't you just feel the bounciness?!?

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
The ending songs for Mask of the Betrayer, perhaps because I know the joy/sorrow that falls behind each one.

The evil one sends chills up my spine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6GkJGdxs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIxghz8jIXg

retro himself

Nov 14, 2007
Also, badly as it may have been recieved, FFXII had FANTASTIC music.
Here's the Gilgamesh tune remixed:

Also, very good thread, keep it up.

retro himself

Nov 14, 2007
Also, while browsing my favourites I stumbled on the song of my childhood.

I can't remember the countless times I played Raystorm, and the years that passed since I last played it but after stumbling upon the OST by chance I knew every song by heart. Such a good game and good music.

AnimatedAmbiguity

Mar 28, 2011
Haven't even played any of the Xenosaga titles and yet I still find this emotional. (And wonderfully pretty!)

[youtube=RZ-yoLFtsnU