Most intellectually insulting movies you can think of

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I found SuckerPunch insulting interesting enough. It would be one thing if it were about poorly dressed women doing bizarre fantasy stuff with no shame but the movie actually wants "tell us something" too bad it was just plain stupid.

Aside from that though I suppose The Happening would be another intellectually insulting film for obvious reasons. I would mention Lady in the Water too, but that was just a dull movie.

Edit:
Kitsune Hunter said:
The Lorax, my God, this is a terrible film. It completely ruined the message of the book in that while you shouldn't destroy the environment, going from one extreme to the other also isn't the answer, it was about trying to find that middle ground that would satisfy most. Not only that, generic and clichéd characters, the Onceler, going from a mysterious character whose face we don't see in order to symbolise that greed can corrupt anyone to a whiny, hipster douchebag and it messed up the ambiguity of the book ending in favour of a clichéd happy ending just to make the kids happy, instead of challenging and preparing them that sometimes there are no answers and you'll have to look for answers yourself if you want them. There's also the hypocrisy of its anti-corporate message, but I think everyone is aware of that.
Oh my God yes!
That movie made me so angry, and I rarely get angry. I'm so happy I didn't take any young family members to see that garbage. :/

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Basically any movie thats released in the "Oscar Bait" timeslot in the calendar year. Why? Because its obvious they're trolling for an award and not making the movie just to make it. Its intellectually insulting because of how political these awards shows really are and how useless that makes them...

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Shanicus said:
Inception.

The movie puffs itself up as this big, deep, intellectual thing (though that may just be it's rabid fanboys) but when you sit down to watch it it's just a stock-standard action-flick with some neat slow-motion. The 'Dream' layers are poorly explored and incredibly dull, acting solely as different settings for 'shooty-shooty bang-bang', the characters 'existential crisis' is painfully obvious right from the start and makes the last quarter of the movie inane and the final 'brilliant' scene of the spinning top is... well, an annoying thing film-makers do on occasion to make it look deeper than it is.

Christ, I have a dislike for this movie that is stronger than normal. Probably because I had to watch it in film studies and listen to 30 undergraduate students praise it's 'brilliance'. Fucking Zoolander was smarter then this.
I'm glad that I'm not the only human on this planet who loathes this odious turd of a film so much.

A: When you are considering dream states, why are you failing to use some stronger imaginative leaps. So many chances to go outside of itself as a movie, but instead it wants to keep you near the action.

B: The build up and pacing were very off to me. It doesn't do a whole lot to draw you into its world in the first quarter, so you spend the next quarter trying to figure out why you should care.

Gronk

Jun 24, 2013
Braveheart.

Oh my god what a stupid travesty. Yes, make a film about a historical person and screw up almost every piece of historical fact you present. Not only that, the move fails on even a basic dramaturgical level, undermining the feeling of "rooting for the underdog" and sympathy for it's protagonist. Then insult your viewers even more by introducing cheap methods of identifying who is "good" and who is "evil".

The movie is a failure on almost every level. I would have walked out of the theater hadn't it been because i were there with friends.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Story said:
I found SuckerPunch insulting interesting enough. It would be one thing if it were about poorly dressed women doing bizarre fantasy stuff with no shame but the movie actually wants "tell us something" too bad it was just plain stupid.
I would say I feel the same had I gotten any vibes that Sucker Punch was trying to say anything in the first place. Oh, MovieBob and Snyder himself may have said there was something underneath the surface, but trust the tale, not the teller. As Jeremy Jahns pointed out, none of the dream sequences actually have anything to do with what is happening in the real world simultaneously. Like how does copying a map turn into fighting nazi zombies with mechs and katanas in WWI? When I saw it I rented it as a drunk movie, something that would be fun when I'm hammered. It was so much worse than that. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Vault101 said:
would it be bad to say "the other woman?" even though I havent seen it?

or what about "the women"? I mean...yeah
I hate to say it, but I'm gonna come out and defend "The Other Woman" I thought it was pretty good. The only thing I hated, and found insulting, about it is sadly something I will put in a spoiler. It isn't really a plot twist or anything like that, it's something very obvious with the themes of the film. But just in case!

The fact that the main protagonist, "the other woman", sits and wonders why her husbands ex wife hates her. Maybe because you were in an affair with her husband and she believed herself happily married and you came along and ruined it? That daft woman!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Expelled - No Intelligence Allowed:
Anti-science film by an evolution denier, who LIED to those he interview AND edited said interviews to push his bullshit.
THEN has the audacity to claim's a documentary.

God Is Not Dead & Heaven Is Real:
Or, as I like to call them 'Waah I'm A Victim For Being Dick, Give Me Money: Bigoted Christian Right Edition'.
It's not only that the movies are bigoted.
It's not only that the movies are anti-education.
It's not only that the movies are unaware of how colleges really work.
It's not only that the movies are full of crappy acting.
It's not only that the movies are written like a blog.
It's not only that the movies are poorly shot.

It's that they actually try to pass themselves off as 'fair and balanced' and 'based on a real story'.
When, in reality, they're full of so much crap even Noah's arc wouldn't have been able to handle them.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Shanicus said:
Vault101 said:
Shanicus said:
Inception.

The movie puffs itself up as this big, deep, intellectual thing (though that may just be it's rabid fanboys) but when you sit down to watch it it's just a stock-standard action-flick with some neat slow-motion.
erm...are you sure its the movie or you?

its just an action film with a neat gimmick and (IMO) good execution, while I wouldn't call it deep I'd say its pretty damn good
I've seen it lorded as this amazing intellectual movie that questions existentialism and reality pretty much everywhere I've gone - Tumblr, Facebook, University, even on the Escapist. Granted, it could just be me and the people I run into, but...

It's a good action flick and it is well made, but jesus does it get far more praise than it deserves. I am also SUPER hostile towards it due to having to sit through an entire semester of people hailing it as this amazingly deep, intellectual film and practically sucking Christopher Nolan's dick.
Still sounds more like other people "puffing the movie up" and not the movie itself, or Nolan.

I don't think it was ever meant to be more than a solid action movie.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Shanicus said:
Vault101 said:
Shanicus said:
Inception.

The movie puffs itself up as this big, deep, intellectual thing (though that may just be it's rabid fanboys) but when you sit down to watch it it's just a stock-standard action-flick with some neat slow-motion.
erm...are you sure its the movie or you?

its just an action film with a neat gimmick and (IMO) good execution, while I wouldn't call it deep I'd say its pretty damn good
I've seen it lorded as this amazing intellectual movie that questions existentialism and reality pretty much everywhere I've gone - Tumblr, Facebook, University, even on the Escapist. Granted, it could just be me and the people I run into, but...

It's a good action flick and it is well made, but jesus does it get far more praise than it deserves. I am also SUPER hostile towards it due to having to sit through an entire semester of people hailing it as this amazingly deep, intellectual film and practically sucking Christopher Nolan's dick.
From all i've read, Nolan may have wanted Inception to be "a movie about how I make movies". The idea of a muse, immersing someone in a fantasy, the roles of crew members and the like are supposedly discussed. The following sites have it

5 Great Movies with Mind-Blowing Symbolism that You didn't notice (yes, its a Cracked article, no I don't think it's an invalid interpretation) [http://www.cracked.com/article_20497_5-great-movies-with-mind-blowing-symbolism-you-didnt-notice.html]

The Key to Inception: It's a movie about making movies [http://www.theawl.com/2010/07/the-key-to-inception-its-a-movie-about-making-movies]

As for why some would think it questions reality: the top scene. My two cents on it, the top is pointless. Cobb has faced his own past and guilt and is able to reach some sort of peace, even if fake. Whether the world is real or not is not the matter at question: he is happy and finally free of his biggest burden

On the topic of the OP, This is a minor nitpick but the trailer for the new movie "Lucy" still has the whole "only 10% of brain is used" thing. As a guy in college, that just rubs me the wrong way since all of the brain is active; some parts may be less active or only showing baseline activity but there is no part of the brain that is unused in day to day life. Semantically, if they said "only 10% of maximum processing capacity of the brain is used at most", I would be less pissed, a bit skeptical on how you can possibly find out the max processing capacity of the brain and how much is used, but still not a total lie.

P.S. Lucy seems to be an interesting movie regardless of the stupid line: good actors, special effects seem to be in top form, premise of a compound that enhances mental and physical capabilities of a human appeals to me as a Transhumanist and, if nothing else, we get to see Scarlet Johansson kicking ass in a movie other than the Marvel line

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
ecoho said:
PrimitiveJudge said:
Any religious based movies ruin it for me. I get it, your on a mission/crusade/struggle to find a path in life. BAH. The real culprits are:

Starwars episode 1 and 2: Fuck Aniken and JarJar. ( I liked the third one because he killed children like a true dark knight)
Druids: Shoot me now.
Transformers 2: WTF, Megan Fox is hot, we get it, why does a RC robot need to hump her leg?
2012: Stupid Russian kids
Day After Tomorrow: nuff said
the Scary Movie franchise: Not funny, at all.
(not a movie but deserves the absolute worse nuking ever) Here comes Honey booboo and Toddlers in Tierra's: Ok what the fucking hell has happened to society? I get that this is a free country and all but those people who place there children in those situations need to receive full Persian and North Korean labor camp situations. Just wrong.

Side note for the Marvel fans: I thought of a theory for the trio Marvel movies. 1st one is good, 2nd one is better 3rd one is a complete dump in the crapper.
Examples:

Iron Man
X-men
Avengers
Thor
Hulk
Spiderman
Blade

Yeah I am done for now
ok got to fix this, Iron Man is the only marvel film on here that has had three movies.(still loved the third but you know different tastes) All the other ether don't have a third movie or were made without marvel.(just their license)

OT:
the last fucking air bender: only movie in recent memory that pissed me off enough to demand a refund of my money.

Eragon: or as I like to call it how to fuck up a great franchise.

Elysium: stupid movie with a stupid premise. A shame too cause I hear it was made by the same guy who did District 9.
Oh I know, the ones that do not have a 3rd installment will be made eventually and it will suck.

I agree with Elysium, the trailers for it made it look badass untill you watch the actual movie

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Shanicus said:
Inception.

Ding ding ding ding ding!
We have a winner.

Inception is such schlock

I can't place a single line in the whole movie that's not hamfisted exposition.
Every line is repeated 3 or 4 times. It's like the scientist guy will say something, then Joseph Gordon Levitt will repeat it in simpler words, then Ellen Page will say the same line again in language a 12 year old can understand Then maybe 15 or so minutes later Cob will say it again.

There's absolutely no attempt to characterize anyone beyond the broadest stock caricature, the rules they set up aren't consistent. The pacing is a fucking nightmare.

I'm glad at least 1 other person sees this movie for what it really is

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
PrimitiveJudge said:
ecoho said:
PrimitiveJudge said:
Any religious based movies ruin it for me. I get it, your on a mission/crusade/struggle to find a path in life. BAH. The real culprits are:

Starwars episode 1 and 2: Fuck Aniken and JarJar. ( I liked the third one because he killed children like a true dark knight)
Druids: Shoot me now.
Transformers 2: WTF, Megan Fox is hot, we get it, why does a RC robot need to hump her leg?
2012: Stupid Russian kids
Day After Tomorrow: nuff said
the Scary Movie franchise: Not funny, at all.
(not a movie but deserves the absolute worse nuking ever) Here comes Honey booboo and Toddlers in Tierra's: Ok what the fucking hell has happened to society? I get that this is a free country and all but those people who place there children in those situations need to receive full Persian and North Korean labor camp situations. Just wrong.

Side note for the Marvel fans: I thought of a theory for the trio Marvel movies. 1st one is good, 2nd one is better 3rd one is a complete dump in the crapper.
Examples:

Iron Man
X-men
Avengers
Thor
Hulk
Spiderman
Blade

Yeah I am done for now
ok got to fix this, Iron Man is the only marvel film on here that has had three movies.(still loved the third but you know different tastes) All the other ether don't have a third movie or were made without marvel.(just their license)

OT:
the last fucking air bender: only movie in recent memory that pissed me off enough to demand a refund of my money.

Eragon: or as I like to call it how to fuck up a great franchise.

Elysium: stupid movie with a stupid premise. A shame too cause I hear it was made by the same guy who did District 9.
Oh I know, the ones that do not have a 3rd installment will be made eventually and it will suck.

I agree with Elysium, the trailers for it made it look badass untill you watch the actual movie
I doubt thor hulk and avengers will be bad movies. Maybe lack luster compared to the first two but never bad.(Iron man 3 was a good movie, not as good as the first two but good)

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Because of that fridge scene. This is not how nukes work!

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I would say 2012, specially with those golden lines like "the neutrinos have mutated". But that would be to assume it had any intelligence to addressed my own; but that would be to give it too much credit...

Also Lady in the Water. Specially insulting because all the time it tries to act like it has some deeply symbolic script, while the symbolism is the kind it would sound trite coming from a 12 years old.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
jademunky said:
The Tree of Life. Honestly I cannot think of a movie with less to say that was given such a large budget with which to say it.
Second. That movie made me feel stupid because I could not understand why It was apparently good; all I saw was a pretentious singularity. Same for Thin Red Line, but I understand those movies had amazing cinematography.

Personally, all of Adam Sandler's Post-Funny People movies. They make me feel so stupid I want to punch a brick wall because that has more intellectual challenge then his movies.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Shiftygiant said:
jademunky said:
Personally, all of Adam Sandler's Post-Funny People movies. They make me feel so stupid I want to punch a brick wall because that has more intellectual challenge then his movies.
My understanding is that most (all?) of Adam Sandler's movies are just projects to keep people in his hometown employed.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
TwilitWolfAmaterasu said:
As a huge Silent Hill fan, I feel that the movies just tried... TOO hard to appeal to fans and non fans.

"Hey let's have her get raped in the bathroom, why else would she be crying" "Hey let's burn her she must be a witch because she... has no dad?" "Here's an idea, Claudia can actually be the Mercenary!"

It just... it tries to cram ALL THIS STUFF into this movie and connect all the dots when they don't need to be shown connected. It panders to non fans by saying "heyyyy look at this, isn't it cool? We have an explanation for that, no need to do any pesky thinking on your own" and turns to the more hardcore fans by saying "Well... I had to make sense of it SOMEHOW. I mean... would YOU keep the protagonist a male? That don't make sense", etc.

It just boils my blood to see my favourite game series of all time just slathered up on a screen for money, using stupid explanations to try to get the audience to understand
I really like the first Silent Hill movie. In my opinion it is the best video game adaption out there now. I was never huge into Silent Hill, but I definitely thought the movie was good as a movie.

Pacific Rim. The premis, concept, and script is so dumb it offends me. The acting is shit, the writing is shit, the dialogue is cringe worthy, and even the effects are bad. Picking up a giant oil tanker to use as a club? Cause you know, it's not like it has structural weak points or anything.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
barbzilla said:
Shanicus said:
Inception.

The movie puffs itself up as this big, deep, intellectual thing (though that may just be it's rabid fanboys) but when you sit down to watch it it's just a stock-standard action-flick with some neat slow-motion. The 'Dream' layers are poorly explored and incredibly dull, acting solely as different settings for 'shooty-shooty bang-bang', the characters 'existential crisis' is painfully obvious right from the start and makes the last quarter of the movie inane and the final 'brilliant' scene of the spinning top is... well, an annoying thing film-makers do on occasion to make it look deeper than it is.

Christ, I have a dislike for this movie that is stronger than normal. Probably because I had to watch it in film studies and listen to 30 undergraduate students praise it's 'brilliance'. Fucking Zoolander was smarter then this.
I'm glad that I'm not the only human on this planet who loathes this odious turd of a film so much.

A: When you are considering dream states, why are you failing to use some stronger imaginative leaps. So many chances to go outside of itself as a movie, but instead it wants to keep you near the action.

B: The build up and pacing were very off to me. It doesn't do a whole lot to draw you into its world in the first quarter, so you spend the next quarter trying to figure out why you should care.
I agree completely. Dr. Parnassus was a far better film and what Inception should have been. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nolan is an overrated hack.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
ColdinT said:
Anything directed by J.J. Abrams. :)
...and written by Orci, Lindloff and Kurtzman.

I know there are plenty of other truly intellectually insulting films, but "Star Trek:Into Darkness" just jumps out at me.

Credibility was strained to the breaking point within the first few minutes of the movie.

If you want to hide a STARSHIP...a vehicle specifically designed for space travel...from an indigenous population that has yet to invent the telescope, wouldn't it be smarter to just park it IN ORBIT than hide it underwater?

The movie is just filled with stupid shit like that.

Just more proof that Abrams and his team are allergic to logic and don't get science fiction.