Most memorable opening line in a game

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
"Stephen King once wrote, 'Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear'."

Can't wait for Night Springs.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
I can recite the entire opening monologue from "Fable: The Lost Chapters". That barely pertains to this forum topic, but how often do I get to brag about that? lol

Well, I suppose there's always "All your base are belong to us!"

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
"Space held such hope for humanity. A fresh start. A chance to let old grievances wither,and die..."

You win epic internet cookies if you can guess the source without looking it up.

Silencer_NMA

Jun 12, 2010
" In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void.

But the Sun shone upon the sleeping Earth and deep inside the brittle crust massive forces waited to be unleashed. "

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'm sure it's been said, and I can promise this won't be the last time but...

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and...shine. Not that I wish to imply that you have been sleeping...on...the job. No one is more deserving of a rest. And all the effort in the world would have...gone to waste until...well...let's just say your hour has...come again. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and...smell the ashes." - G-Man - Half-Life 2

A few others that have always stuck with me:

"Good morning, and welcome to the Black Mesa transit system..." - PA system - Half-Life

"Hello my friend. Stay awhile and listen..." - Deckard Cain - Diablo 2

"It's true what they say. The grass is always greener, and you really don't know what it is you have, until it's gone... gone... gone." - Conker - Conker's Bad Fur Day

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Riddle78 said:
"Space held such hope for humanity. A fresh start. A chance to let old grievances wither,and die..."

You win epic internet cookies if you can guess the source without looking it up.
Unless I'm mistaken, I do believe that is from Freelancer.

I feel compelled to look it up to see if I'm right, but I'll just wait to see what you say.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011

They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger. And then it was over. To make any kind of sense of it, I need to go back three years. Back to the night the pain started.

ManOwaRrior

Apr 12, 2011
Those are still missing if i read correctly:

"The measure of a man is what he does with power - Platon" - God of War 3
The opening of Gothic, which I only know in german, does a wonderful job of setting up the atmosphere
"You died" At the end of the tutorial in Demon's Souls
"My name is Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate!" You know this one
"Sneaky is overrated, hm?" during the Tutorial of Skyrim when you encounter the bear
"Transcending history, a tale of souls and swords eternally retold" Soul Calibur
"My name is Daniel" Amnesia

trollogic

Dec 4, 2011
"In my restless dreams, I see that town... Silent Hill" - Silent Hill 2

And the whole Andrew Ryan speech from Bioshock.

MidnightSt

Sep 9, 2011
I agree with the Max Payne opening line, and Morrowind's (though this is probably only because of nostalgy).

But i absolutely definitely love the "intro" of project zomboid. Just black screen, music, and three sentences, appearing one after the other.

These are the end-times.
There was no hope of survival.
This is how you died.

when the last one appears, it sends shivers down my spine no matter how many times i see it. i consider "This is how you died." to be really the best opening line a game (like this) could possibly have.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Um hopefully this isn't hidden away but :)

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you: they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am or why I say this. Sit down and I will tell you a tale like none you have ever heard. "

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
Tin Man said:
soes757 said:
Tin Man said:
There are big points on the line for anyone who gets this:

"See you in the next one..."
Bastion new game plus first line.
I just played that five minutes ago.
Strong work my friend! I'm having a fag break and am playing it myself right now =p

Honestly, when I started the Plus playthrough, and I heard those words, it blew my fucking mind that they included that. Those six words throw a whole new dimension on that game imo...
It does, it also leaves it entirely open ended.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Riddle78 said:

I feel compelled to look it up to see if I'm right, but I'll just wait to see what you say.
Sadly,you are mistaken. Here's a hint: Chris Taylor made the game where my quote's from.

Mayamellissa

Dec 3, 2011
mental_looney said:
Um hopefully this isn't hidden away but :)

"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you: they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am or why I say this. Sit down and I will tell you a tale like none you have ever heard. "
What was this from: Doctor Who?

ArtanisCreed

Jan 15, 2011
Riddle78 said:
Vigormortis said:
Riddle78 said:

Sadly,you are mistaken. Here's a hint: Chris Taylor made the game where my quote's from.
an because i had a brain fart...